USD 219
  • Beachfront
  • Restaurant
Waves Rooms(St Merryn)
TripAdvisor
All reviewscorn storewheel roomhayloft roomwater millstream runningbusy roadlovely gardensmall decanter of sherrycharming b bperfect hostsfresh milkcomfortable roomseggs benedictcornish breakfasthogs puddingbreakfast was excellentstayed here for nights
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Can not fault this place from the amazing people that run this gorgeous place that feels like a home from home to the amazing scenery nothing is too much trouble so homely and cosy food is so amazing and the scenery is like nothing else , cleanliness faultless ! Deb and Ash so friendly ask them anything and there there to help even down to the the little box of things you may have forgot in your room we had the best most relaxing break we could have wished for thank you the old mill house for making our break one to remember totally recommend xx

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank joanne31blyth
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

It’s the second time I’ve stayed here and I can’t put it into words how “lush” as us a Welsh like to put it, this lovely B&B is. We’ve stayed in The Wheel Room and this time round we stayed in the room named The Millers. Both very comfortable and clean rooms, with attention to detail such as hot chocolate/squash/tea/coffee/cookies and a fridge available in the rooms, not just the usual cheap tea/coffee you get elsewhere. We chose to eat in the Bistro (located within the B&B where you eat breakfast) and would highly recommend eating here, saved on getting a taxi into Padstow, had a fantastic steak for mains and a sticky toffee pudding for dessert, both delicious. The owners Debbie and Ashley were extremely welcoming and friendly, we stayed with our five month old dog who quickly became friends with Henry, the local resident fox red Labrador who is adorable. If you’re looking to stay in Padstow this is the place to stay, lovely location by the stream and if the weathers good you can enjoy a local cider sitting in the peaceful scenic garden overlooking the stream, simply idyllic!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kate W
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

This is our second visit and only seems fair to review again. The visit was just magical, breakfast was amazing, the walks into padstow are beautiful, and customer service is 5* by far.
We are able to stay with our puppy who gets on great with the family that run the B&B.
We had dinner here a few nights, the food is outstanding - we even got talking to other diners who where local, it's always a good sign when locals eat in restaurants!
We are going to make this an annual visit, I can't recommend this place enough! Thank you for such a wonderful stay. See you all soon :)

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tom0246
Reviewed 30 March 2018

I booked 2 rooms by phone and was impressed we were offered a check in at 12pm. We arrived about 12.30, the door was opened a bit and someone said 'what do you want'? The rooms weren't both ready (not a massive issue, but they kept saying we were early!).

The building and gardens are lovely, the rooms small, bathrooms also very small and outdated, but overall the accommodation is still pretty. The price is expensive for what it is. Unfortunately we had a very unpleasant time here.

We asked if we could have some drinks outside. One of our party asked for a non-fizzy drink as she has Crohns. She was given a fizzy beer which the member of staff promised was flat, and although we took it straight back, she was still charged. There was no apology - they just told us the lady's husband works for Padstow brewery so of course she wants to sell his beer!

We had a lovely lunch out nearby, and then went back to the b&b. I left my friends downstairs and i went to get changed. When i was in my bathroom, i saw through the opaque window that the bedroom door had opened (i was sharing a room so it didn't seem odd). A bit later, the bathroom door opened, i said 'hey' and the OWNER replied oh, just turning the light off!! She had come into my room, past my handbag and room key, and opened the door right into the bathroom! I was horrified and really embarrassed. I didn't want to make a fuss so i didn't tell my friends, but later the owner came down and announced it to everyone! She told them she'd seen my handbag and was worried. I don't remember if the bedroom door was actually closed or pushed to, but I can't imagine she could see my handbag from outside the room, it doesn't make sense. I think she had to at least push the door open. Then, as there was so obviously someone in the room, why did she keep going and try to get into the bathroom? Even if the bedroom door had been wide open (i don't think it was) it was still obvious someone was in there!

When she told my friends it was just about the handbag, i said but you came right into the bathroom! She said it was just to turn the light off. I asked her why, when my key was on the table and handbag on the bed? The bathroom door was closed and the light on. It was very obvious someone was in there. She seemed defensive, and told us it was actually ok because her husband is an ex police officer?! I still don't know why she was in my room.

After that incident, the owner seemed cross with me (why?!) and would hardly look at or speak to me. She later told my friend (not me?) she had in fact called out before going into the bathroom. If that was true (i don't believe it is) why not knock to double check, and why did she add this explanation on later? There is no excuse for this bizarre, intrusive and upsetting behaviour. Our friends came over from Australia and we only had a few days with them, to spend the time here was a huge mistake. We should have left straight after the bathroom incident, in hindsight.

Other issues:
- When we sat downstairs in the evening on the sofas, the lights kept being turned off! No explanation, just part of the room kept in low light. Same for the toilet lights downstairs - kept off by a switch behind the bar, and only seemed to be on when restaurant guests were in.
- The hairdryer was very old and didn't work.
- Breakfast was not great.
- When we checked out they had added an extra drink to my bill. I did tell the owner, but to be fair i just wanted to leave so i said not to worry, but still it seemed rather unfair.

I very very rarely leave negative reviews, but i was so upset by this horrid experience. To have someone walking into my bathroom, being hostile and making our party feel unwelcome, miserable and ripped off is a horrendous experience and i hope it is never repeated for anyone else.

If the b&b do want to rectify it, an apology would be appreciated. I sincerely hope this review is not met with more hostility. Everyone makes mistakes and we want to understand, maybe there is a reason standards and behaviour fell so far from the norm. But from my perspective, i am still really upset. I really hope these experiences are never repeated.

And future guests - lock your doors!!

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank fearn_kenyon
Reviewed 19 March 2018

A charming B&B, set in a lovely location not far from Padstow. Our on-suite room was very comfortable overlooking the stream. The owners were very friendly and helpful and the cooked breakfast was excellent. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple