“Poor service”

Ranked #14 of 44 Restaurants in North Berwick
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Really quite nice starter and main courses but experience ruined by slow, inexperienced and disinterested staff. Drink order not taken for 15 minutes after being seated. Then food order attempted to be taken before drinks even arrived. Glass of white wine then ordered as scallops starter was served, to be enjoyed with the scallops. Eventually it turned up after we had finished the starter. It's not rocket science guys!! Waiting staff need to have their own sections and be attentive to these sections. Waited an age for the bill and then again for the payment to be taken. Staff started every interaction with a rather insincere apology which I found odd. Really poor and felt like a chore by the end of the evening. Won't be returning or recommending.

1  Thank Oxbeth
HerringboneNB, General Manager at Herringbone, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

Hi Oxbeth

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. Customer feed back is very important to us and we applicate all.

Very glad to hear you enjoyed your meal, we make all food fresh in house and always enjoy to hear.

I am very disappointed to hear that your service wasn't up to our normal standard. We spend a lot of time teaching and training our team and usually get such good feedback on them.

If you wouldn't mind I would like to ask you to contact myself directly so I can look into this further. My email is below.

nikki@theherringbone.co.uk

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

After a spa day at Macdonald Marine hotel , me and my friend went to this place which we weren't sure about how the food would be . We ordered a couple of non alcoholic cocktails and some vegetarian dish with chickpea and butternut squash patty(don't remember the exact name) . The drinks arrived and they were superb. And the food was simply divine. Will be visiting North Berwick soon just to eat here.

Highly recommend

Hi Kravita

Thank you for the kind review.

Very pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit to Herringbone and we hope to see you again soon.

Best

Reviewed 4 April 2018

We popped in for a quick pre-prandial, prior to lunch at Greywalls down the road. Lovely ambience and surrounds - friendly staff - quality cocktails and an interesting range of wines and craft ales. My only gripe is that there is no cask ale (or at least none that I could see). I would have loved a 'proper' pint although it was also interesting to be cast into the realms of craft ale. We didn't try the food but will make sure that we do on our next visit.

Hi Diptych

Thanks for the review.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your visit to Herringbone and thank you for your kind comments regarding our team and venue.

We would love to have some cask ale on our bar but unfortunately due to our cellar placement this is not possible. As we cant do this we try and offer a broad selection of draught, bottle and can range to try and provide something for everyone.

Hope to see you again soon.

Best

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

We popped in over Easter weekend with our family. What a fantastic find! Lovely atmosphere, great food and drinks, children well catered for and great service from a young and vibrant team who were happy to be there! So lovely to find a place where you can have a civilized experience with young children in tow (ours are 9 and 6). The only way to imprive this place would be with a sea view! We'll be back in the summer

Hi there

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

We aim to cater for all at Herringbone including the kids, glad to hear you all enjoyed.

Always lovely to hear such kind comments from our team, they are all excellent people who work very hard.

Thanks again

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

The Herringbone is a nice space for a relaxed breakfast and I was excited to try their vegetarian breakfast, which included spinach and halloumi. Admittedly we were quite a large party but service was very slow - we waited more than half an hour for our food. When it arrived it was heavily over-seasoned - the saltiest halloumi I've ever had, and the spinach was barely edible.

1  Thank eapst222
HerringboneNB, General Manager at Herringbone, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2018

Hi eapst222

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. Customer feedback is very important to us and we appreciate all.

I am very disappointed to hear your breakfast was not to your liking and service was slow. We usually have such great feedback on our breakfast dishes.

I would like to look into this further with our kitchen team, if you would be so kind as to contact me directly on the below email that would be great thanks.

Thanks again