“Amazing food ... watch the bill.”
Review of The India gate

The India gate
Ranked #73 of 213 Restaurants in King's Lynn
Price range: USD 6 - USD 15
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

This is a nice and friendly restaurant that serves good, clean food in a pleasant environment.

My wife is Vegan and I’m vegetarian and we have no problems in communicating that. I also have a food allergy but that seems always to fail translation :)

The food is wonderful and well presented with good service. I really can’t rate the food highly enough.

Prices are good with Wed-Friday ‘Banquite’ (starter, main, and 2 of rice/bread/side) being a £12.95 bargain. I always need to take some home.

The single downside is that we always get charged £4.80 for the 2 poppadoms that we never have. It’s annoying and spoils a good meal. Without that it would be a 5+star review.

Date of visit: March 2018

Reviewed 6 March 2018

very nice welcoming and very nice people ,friendly.very well located in the town centre .definitively we come back again a great experience.thank you for such nice evening

Date of visit: March 2018
1  Thank RafaelF2177
Reviewed 3 March 2018

We deicded to visit this restaurant for my partner's birthday as it's her favourate. Our table was booked for 6.30 pm and the restaurant was fairly busy. We were seated at our table and asked for our drinks order and whether we wanted poppadums. As we hadn't decided on our choice of wine, we asked the waiter to come back, however, the poppadums were served quickly. 40 minutes after being seated, there was no sign of the waiter so my friend had to go up to the bar and order our drinks. 20 minutes after receiving our drinks, we had still not had our meal order taken, therefore we had to call the waiter over.

30 minutes later, our starters arrived which were very nice. 2 hours after arriving, our main courses turned up, however one of the side dishes was missing and the food was luke warm. It took another 10 minutes for the side dish to be cooked and returned at which point most of our meal had been eaten.

Whilst I cannot fault the food, (although the Vegetable biryani was not as good as it use to be), the service was diabolical. The staff were not friendly or engaging with the customers.

I would have easily given this restaurant a 5 star rating a few years ago, but after my current visit, I'm not sure I would go back.

2  Thank spikeybb
Reviewed 26 February 2018

I cannot believe how appalling the service was here on Saturday night. We were quite early in being seated but two other tables with more covers than ours were served before us. We waited an hour for 1 starter and then another hour before any sign of a main and then only half of it came because they'd messed up one order, but they brought out the rice for that meal !!! They promised the missing meal within 4 minutes, we have them 6 minutes then walked out. It seemed they were more interested in take away than the customers under their noses. I' ve never walked out of a restaurant before but they were appalling!

2  Thank 35KarenLee
Reviewed 14 February 2018 via mobile

Waited almost an hour for our takeaway,
when we got home we realised that items were missing and that we’d been over charged. Disappointed as we’ve previously enjoyed the food at India Gate.

3  Thank G2402ITsandrac