All reviews pub food coast to coast evening meal stilton sauce quiz night main bar beef homely bar great sunday lunch bream morris dancers good quality food happily stay here again en route black pudding cumberland sausage fresh fruit
Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

Mrs B and I dropped in here on the way to Ambleside and had a delicious Sunday roast- beef today, with roasties, mash, roasted veg, gravy and Yorkshire pud for about a tenner a head. Well worth it- arrived quickly, good portions and beautifully cooked and presented. No nonsense and it hit the spot. Well worth a look if traveling through Kirby Stephen.

Trip type: Travelled with family
BlackBull1, Manager at The Black Bull Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2018

Thank you for your kind words. We hope you had a great time in Ambleside and hope to see you both again soon!

Reviewed 20 March 2018

We were heading for Northumbria by motorcycle when the snow called a stop on our progress so we called in on the Black Bull to see if there were any rooms available. There were four of us, two couples, and we took the last two rooms which were twins, bearing in mind the weather conditions which meant that as well as us on our bikes plenty of folks in cars were stuck to in the snow we got a good price for the rooms.

The staff were fantastic especially the bar maid that booked us in, I'm sorry I don't know her name but she was blond and wearing a shamrock T shirt. Anyway she went out of her way to make us feel welcome. We found a table and had a few beers before going to our room and changing from our bike gear. The beer is top notch by the way. Everyone we chatted to was really friendly and we were having a great time.

We returned from getting changed and ordered dinner, I'm more often then not disappointed with pub food but the food here was excellent, top quality and reasonably priced. After dinner we enjoyed a few more beers and got chatting to quite a few of the locals who were really friendly and welcoming. As it was St Patrick's Day the party was going on and we were made to feel part of it. A guitarist/singer was playing later in the evening who again was really good. Eventually bed called and we retired, the rooms were spotless with comfortable beds.

We awoke the next morning and went down for breakfast which was again excellent, plenty of choice and anything hot freshly cooked, nothing seemed too much trouble.

It was till snowing and when the chef came in he told us that the weather outside the town was just as bad and that there was no way he would advise us to go anywhere on our bike which just reinforced our view so we booked in for a second night and spent the day steadily drinking and playing backgammon in the bar. Lunch was just as good as the previous night's dinner and when dinner came round that too was top notch, the belly pork was some of the best I've eaten. Throughout the day a few locals came and went all of whom engaged us in their conversation and made us feel very welcome.

In summary a great pub with good beer, excellent food and comfortable rooms run by a really nice couple with brilliant staff and welcoming locals. We had planned on having a weekend away but not here however, it was fab and we will definitely be returning.

Room tip: The staff guided us and as they were great I'd take their advice
1  Thank Dave E
Reviewed 18 March 2018

Thank you very much to all at the blackbull putting us up at last minute after getting stuck in the snow, they put extra beds in rooms at a minutes notice. The breakfast was lovely. Very busy local bar, live music, very friendly and helpful staff xx

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 8 March 2018

Stopped off for Sunday lunch with our dog and the fact it was dog friendly made such a difference. The Sunday lunch was really nice, the staff were friendly and the real log fire was a bonus given the snow outside. Would have no hesitation recommending.

Reviewed 28 January 2018

Called in on coming home from Bowness on Windermere I wanted to use toilet but also looking to have Sunday lunch to be stopped and told your not a paying customer so you can’t use facilities. My husband was following on to come in for lunch I was so shocked I left in disgust. The bar was dark and dingey. My advise don’t go not very welcoming. We went to the Penine Boutique Hotel which I might add the Sunday lunch and customer service was amazing

Room tip: Don’t go customer service shocking
Date of stay: January 2018