All reviews treacle tart chateaubriand proper pub fresh milk lovely pub wet room cod family lunch sunday lunch three courses large car park cheese board overnight stay mash main course convenient location booked a table
Reviewed 6 January 2018

Very pleasant bedroom with good quality bed linen and toiletries. Good tea/coffee tray too. We sat in the bar before dinner and were entertained by local characters. Then moved into the dining room where we were able to change to a more suitable table with no fuss from the staff. Good service through the meal. Only slight criticism is that the regular dinner menu was not inspiring; however this was more than compensated by the specials which were delicious. Breakfast was also excellent, with a wide choice and again, attentive service.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2018 via mobile

I paid £100 for B&B but it was only when I checked in that I found out that breakfast wasn’t served until 0830. For a business traveller this is rather late and although I mentioned that I may have to leave before 0830 no alternative was offered. As the breakfast is included in the £100 per night room rate (not cheap) I decided to change my plans for the following morning and stay for breakfast.
The room was excellent and I had an excellent nights sleep. The only slight problem I had was controlling the temperature of the shower as nothing I tried seemed to work.
The evening meal was good but again I would say it’s expensive. Fish & chips was £14 and most other main courses were well above that. The staff I encountered were friendly, efficient and very professional.
The eagerly awaited breakfast didn’t disappoint. There was a wide selection of cereals, fruit, yoghurt, croissants etc. and a full menu offering full English, vegetarian options, salmon etc. I didn’t memories it all.
The excellent full English was only slightly let down by streaky bacon, but the sausage was good quality and eggs are cooked to your liking. The orange juice appeared freshly squeezed and the coffee was also very good.
My only surprise was that I was the only person having breakfast. I walked in “on the dot” at 0830 and left shortly after 0900 and didn’t see another resident.
Overall my stay was very comfortable, but for a business stopover it’s not cheap and the late breakfast sitting is certainly not for me.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 January 2018

Some friends took me to lunch here today, New Year's Day. There were five of us. Each had a different Main Course. Every single one was perfect and so delicious. Mine pork belly. The best I have ever had. Puddings were also delicious. I shared a brownie! No ordinary Brownie, just melt in the mouth one, with the most delicious ice cream. The service was superb and so friendly. I will be back very soon! What a lovely start to 2018! Thank you.

Room Tip: As I was not paying I have no idea of the total cost but I do feel mine was great value.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 January 2018

We had an overnight stay here before a trip into Lambourn early next morning.
Our room was very well appointed and had all the little extras that make a room special
Dinner was very good and staff attentive and knowledgeable

My only small criticism would be that if a room is sold as Bed and Breakfast and you make if clear you are not going to need breakfast when you book and also when you check in there should be a small reduction in the price. I know the staff have to be there for other duties but food has a cost.
This has happened at every other place we have stayed when we mentioned breakfast was not required so it was a little disappointing that no one here mentioned it.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 December 2017

Visited as a party of six. Starters were from there basic normal menu. Mains Turkey was overwhelmed by amount of stuffing meaning very little meat in the two slices they provided. Again puddings were very basic. Three courses. Took over two and an half hours to serve. Very disappointed considering price of £80 a head. Cc pared to there normal menu of 224 to 32ish. Definitely wouldn't recommend this to anyone in future

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Jack G, Owner at The Pheasant Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2017

Dear Tina B,
I am so sorry that you left us disappointed after your Christmas Day lunch with us, it means a great deal to both myself and the team that every guest leaves us happy. In the interests of balance I would, however, like to add the following:
- None of the starters on our Christmas Day Menu are available on our normal a' la carte menu.
- We sourced Norfolk Bronze Turkeys from our excellent butcher Walter Rose and Sons and felt that two generous slices with lots of sprouts, honey roasted root veg, red cabbage, pigs in blankets and stuffing would be more than enough. However, had you mentioned that you would like some more when we checked to see whether or not you were happy this wouldn't have been a problem at all.
- We served 4 courses not 3 with every guest given celeriac and apple soup shortly after sitting down.
- We deliberately didn't rush guests as we wanted everyone to settle in and relax for the afternoon which most tables thanked us for when leaving.
- The lunch price of £80 included the 4 courses mentioned as well as a glass of Laurent Perrier Champagne on arrival. On Christmas Day we feel it's only right and proper that we pay our lovely front of house team more than normal and some of this is reflected in the £80 which I really do feel is a fair price for what we offered on the day.

However, I really am sorry that you left unhappy and didn't give us the opportunity to discuss these issues on the day. If you would like to speak to me about this please don't hesitate to give me a call on 01488 648 284.

Thanks,