All reviewshappy hourcomfort roomlovely hotelpool areastocked fridgeburriana beachtea and coffee making facilitiessteep hillmajor refurbishmentlots of english channelsplenty of sunbedsgreat showermin walkwould highly recommend this hotelrecent refurbishmentsnack menuevening meal
Reviewed 17 June 2018 via mobile

I’d like to start my review of this hotel by pointing out I did some extensive research on hotels in the costa del sol before eventually booking Hotel Flamenca for our family holiday. This was based on the numerous good reviews I had read on various rating sites.

My family and I arrived at the Hotel Flamenca in the early hours of Sunday the 3rd of June. It was roughly 3am. Our party included myself, my partner, our 8 month old baby daughter and my mum and dad. Our flight had been delayed a couple of hours, we’d been traveling since 3pm, so we were very tired and we were looking forward checking in quickly, and getting some rest.

On entering the hotel my first impressions were good. A welcoming reception area that was spotlessly clean. Airy modern, and decorated to a fairly high standard. Unfortunately that’s where the good impressions came to an end.

We were ‘greeted’ on reception by Paco. Paco is an elderly Spanish man that is quite possibly the most arrogant, ignorant, uninterested and unwelcoming man I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. To top off his list of fine attributes it was impossible to communicate with him as he doesn’t speak a single word of English. Not a word. As we approached the desk he managed to mumble for our passports. I handed them over to him, and with a grunt he handed over some forms for us to fill in. Tapping and grunting with a pen on which parts of the forms required our attention. After what felt like forever we got our room keys and off we went to our rooms. My mum and dad in room 513 me my partner and our baby room 216. On entering our room it was blatantly obvious that something was wrong. The room was very small and compact. Immaculately clean and tidy. But there was only one double bed. No cot for the baby. So, I immediately returned to reception. I tried my best to explain to Paco what the issue was. With a shrug of his shoulders he picked up a large pile of A4 files and began to very nonchalantly flick through page by page, liking his finger after ever turn. After about 15 minutes he found our booking. Once again tapping on the paper he grunted “cuatro, cuatro”. No, no I said, our party is for 5! Realising that there was something wrong off I went back to the room to get our booking reference. On retrieving this and returning to reception I handed it over to Paco. He again showed no interest was so ever, pointing to his file and in a raised voice shouted “cuatro, cuatro”. I’m sure you can imagine how frustrating this was. It was now 3:45am, we still hadn’t had any sleep. We were in a small room with a tiny baby. No cot. Our only option would be to have her sleep in bed with us with the risk of her rolling out of the bed onto the hard tiled floor. I returned to my room to explain to my partner that the hotel didn’t seem to care that we didn’t have anywhere for our baby to sleep. My partner told me she didn’t feel comfortable with our baby being in bed with us, and that I should try and call a manager. I returned to reception again with a pen and paper. I tried my best to explain to Paco that I needed to speak to a manger and asked if he could supply a number for me to call. At this he became very angry and started shouting “no possible, no possible”. At this point I was completely frustrated, and angry. I’d booked and paid for a room for the 3 of us, and the hotel I had such high expectation about was letting me down so badly. After 5 minutes of heated dialog, neither of us understanding a word of each other, Paco picked up the phone. I thought ‘at last’!! My partner had now joined me in reception and we waited to see the outcome of the phone call. After another 5 minutes of waiting out of the corner of my eye I noticed a police car pull up outside of the hotel. Out of the police car came FOUR very serious looking guardia civil. The vile cretinous Paco had only gone and called the police on me and my family. The police spoke to Paco in Spanish whilst looking me and my partner up and down in a very unpleasant manor. One of the officers then came over to us, and in a very abrupt way explained that we should return to reception at 8am to see if a more senior member of staff could help us. We tried to explain to the police that we were concerned for our baby. But they couldn’t have shown less interest. So, intimidated and slightly scared we returned to our room.

The following morning after little to no sleep I returned to reception. There still wasn’t a manager on duty but I managed to speak to someone that could understand our problem. He explained to me that the hotel was full, and the only possible solution would be to swap rooms with my parents, as their room was slightly bigger to accommodate a cot. Luckily my 73 year old parents weren’t aware of the ongoings the previous night, so off I went to explain to them that they were expected to re pack all their luggage, and move rooms due to the hotels incompetence. After wasting the full morning of our first day on holiday moving rooms, we eventually got the cot for our baby.

On the third day the assistant manager asked if she could have a word with us. She offered sincere apologies, and told us under no circumstances should the police have been called. She gave my parents the option of moving to a bigger room (a bigger room in a previous ‘fully booked hotel’). My parents declined due to the stress of already packing and unpacking twice. She then promised that she’d think of something to appease our ordeal. This never materialised, which is a shame because it makes to apology seem empty.

Other aspects of the hotel. Breakfast was ok, and just ok. Pool area resembles the set of the movie Cocoon. Pool is FREEZING even in June. The entertainment (if you can call it that) is probably the worst I’ve ever seen. 90% of the staff are friendly. Hotel spotlessly clean.

We also hired a car, the walk down to the beach is nice. Take your mountaineering gear for the return journey. My poor old mum had several rests on the way back up!

We were scheduled to stay for 10 nights. We left after 8. A large group of Irish people were booked into the rooms next to us. Their party started at 4am to 6am every morning. Waking us and our baby for 3 nights in a row. Complaining to reception didn’t seem to make a difference. Our baby wasn’t well and the lack of sleep was making her worse, so we cut out trip short and returned home.

I feel the Hotel Flamenca has great potential. The reviews were great, and I had such high expectations. Maybe we just had bad luck. But we couldn’t ever really enjoy ourselves, the first night left such a sour taste in our mouths. If you’re under 65 or have a young family then this hotel is definitely not for you.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
19  Thank Michael H
Villa Flamenca H, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Villa Flamenca, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2018

Dear Mr. Houlsworth,

We would like to sincerely apologise for the incident that you describe and that took place at check-in.

First of all, let us point out that your agency (tour operator) never informed us that you needed a cot, so it was impossible for us to have known that you were travelling with a baby. We understand that a delayed flight did not help but if you would have only called us to inform about your late arrival and the baby, probably the incident would not have taken place in the first place. It is the guests responsibility to inform the hotel of a late arrival as check-in time is between 14:00h and midnight, after which time the hotel, unless notified, can consider the reservation as a no-show and would be in its right to sell the room to other clients.

Regarding the night concierge, Paco, he has been working in the hotel industry all his life and even though he does have a poor command of the English language, he is a kind person and good at his job. As you mentioned, Hotel Villa Flamenca is a 3 star hotel and we do not have managers on duty at night time as a 5 star usually does. From what we have reviewed on the cameras, unfortunately, it was your behaviour that caused Paco to call the police.
Calling the police is an absolutely exceptional event and your behaviour could have caused you to spend the night at the police station. We believe that if you would have tempered your character and respected the people who are doing their job, it would have led to a better resolution of the conflict. Likewise, it is important to note that when travelling to a foreign country, you must meet the basic rules of coexistence and show respect to the host country. Unfortunately, you did not follow them and that is why, he felt threatened and considered it appropriate to call the police.

Let us inform you that indeed the hotel was fully booked the night (early morning) you arrived, but not the next morning. This is why the Deputy Manager (the lady you talked to) could offer your parents an upgrade free of charge as by then, there were rooms available because clients had already checked out at 12 midday. The Hotel Manager was away on a business trip during that week but he was fully informed about the occurrence.

We understand and respect your decision of an early check-out as you explained to reception, your 8 month baby was ill and it was better to return to your home country. On the other hand, we are surprised to read your comments about the noisy people (no nationality needed to be mentioned) as we did receive complaints regarding noise but only on Sunday morning, the same day you left the hotel.
We hope your baby is fine now and that it was just a minor thing.

Overall and as you mentioned, part of your experience was due to bad luck, however, the most important part was down to you not mentioning to us about the necessity of a cot because you were travelling with a 8 month baby.
Once again, we do apologise for the incident at your arrival and hope that you might change your mind and visit us again in the future. Yours,

Reviewed 17 June 2018 via mobile

We stayed here last week for 7 nights. The location is great as it's just a small walk away from lots of restaurants and the beach. The food around the pool area is lovely and also a great price. We preferred to sit on the roof top as it's less crowded and has nicer beds up there. The rooms are spotless and the room is cleaned every day. The staff are also very friendly and helpful. The only fault is that some nights the air con in our room wasn't always the coolest - not a huge problem though. Would stay again and would highly recommend when travelling to Nerja.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
Villa Flamenca H, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Villa Flamenca, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2018

Thank you Molly for sharing the experience of your stay with us and holidays in Nerja. It is a great pleasure to read that you had a "great trip" and that Villa Flamenca was part of the reason. We hope that many others follow your recommendation and look forward to seeing you soon. Regards,

Reviewed 16 June 2018 via mobile

Highly recommend this hotel, very friendly Staff, very clean and great breakfasts. We had our own large balcony which was wonderful but there was a great pool and sunbathing areas. Short walk down to beach about 7min with lots of restaurants, tougher on way back as uphill. About 17min strole into town for loads of lovely restaurants and shops.The Hotel had it's own lovely bars as well which did great cocktails, enjoyed happy hour there a few times. Look forward to returning again

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Josephine-J

Thank you Josephine and we miss you already and can´t wait for your visit to the Villa Flamenca! :-) :-) Thank you also for your recommendation as it is fantastic to know that the staff is doing well their jobs with a friendly smile and that guests appreciate and value this. Hope to see you soon!!! Regards,

Reviewed 15 June 2018

From the moment you enter this hotel oozes quality; reception, public areas, room specification, food quality and presentation and leisure facilities. Feels more 5 star than 3 star. Quiet location but easily accessible to town and beaches.

Room Tip: Basic rooms are small but very well appointed and all recently refurbished to a very high standard.
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Jet2holidays
2  Thank Alex E
Villa Flamenca H, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Villa Flamenca, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2018

Thank you very much Alex for such a nice review of Villa Flamenca. It is a great pleasure for us to know that you liked it and enjoyed so much and we hope you return for another visit soon. Regards,

Reviewed 14 June 2018

Enjoyed our stay very clean modern hotel .Close to restaurants and easy walk to beach.
Our room was lovely with a large balcony with sun loungers and table and chairs overlooking the pool area would book again if we return to nerja.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank georgie28

Thank you for taking the time in writing your comments and experience with us. From the reading, I guess you had a Comfort Terrace room or Superior which are the nicest and with plenty of space in room and terrace. Looking forward to your next visit. See you soon. Regards,