All reviews sea view rooftop pool main building second building sea front minute walk bed and breakfast balcon de europa overlooking the beach small fridge cleaning staff short break plenty of choice evening meal fresh towels cleaned every day bars and restaurants
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Our hotel was part of a package holiday to Nerja on the Costa del Sol with TUI. First impressions were quite favourable, the reception was well designed and clean but perhaps a bit dated. The lower area Café Bar was light and airy and led to a pleasant patio/pool area looking out onto the beach and sea, there was full (staff adjustable) patio shading.

The other good things about the ‘Perla’ were its location (as stated above) and the staff. The latter were great, nothing asked for was a problem, they were so pleasant and could adequately converse in English. The location was on the extreme western edge of the town and right on the coastal path which borders the beaches. This was perfect for us as we enjoy walking (strolling) and the coastal path amble towards the edge of town for ‘local’ restaurants (10-12 minutes) and the Balcon de Europa and town (20-25 minutes) was great.

We had arrived on a warm and sunny Sunday lunchtime, so we were keen to dump our cases and get out for a glass or two of wine and a bite to eat (we had been on-the-go since 3am that morning and don’t do airline food). So we piled into the very small lift with our luggage and ascended to the first floor. On arrival on the first floor were presented with a sign on exiting the lift that said left to rooms 101 to 123 and right to rooms 133 to 139. Trouble was, we were in room 140! I assume the guests in rooms 124 to 132 had problems too (I reckon the sign should have read left to rooms 101 to 132 and 133 to 140). Our room was indeed to the right and also right next door to room 139.

We noticed that some of the public areas were a bit battered, with chipped paintwork, chipped stone stairs, and damaged, loose ill-fitting panelling and dado railing. On the plus side there was no visible dust or floor debris. There was signage but there were problems as I have mentioned above. There were some casual quiet seating areas that looked neat and comfortable, and also free use of a computer with internet access.

The room was clean and adequate, and simply decorated but it was very ‘tired’ and needed refurbishment and upgrades, there were some stained and scuffed walls, and chipped paintwork and chipped wood furnishings. There were enough drawers and adequate wardrobe space for our needs. There was a safe but it cost to have a key to make use of it. The bathroom lacked adequate ventilation so it was always damp.

The main room had only one power socket and had a cable from it to a two socket extension which powered the TV and fridge. The bathroom also had one standard power socket to power the hairdryer (obviously Spanish electrical regulations are somewhat more lenient than in the UK). With the advent of rechargeable smartphones, tablets/laptops, toothbrushes and shavers three power sockets was woefully inadequate.

The twin beds were brutally hard but were made-up with, happily, well-laundered sheets and blankets, and one bolster type pillow that was at least as hard as the mattress. The bedding was changed after the third night – probably needed changing every other day in such hot weather. A softer mattress and a duvet would have been welcomed and more in-line with our expectations. The pillow issue was resolved when I successfully applied at reception for a second, thankfully much softer, pillow (I have a neck condition and need the extra height).

The shower worked well, with plenty of good hot water, but it was an over-the-bath arrangement which I hate: for fear of slipping when stepping-out over the side of the bath. The showerhead was fixed height so your hair always got wet (unless you went hand-held). The showerhead bracket had also been re-fixed and the previous screw holes in the tiles had been left unfilled. Happily there was a bidet, a sink, the aforementioned hairdryer, and a big wall mirror. On the downside was the rather pathetic extractor fan. The towels were replace daily but were too thin and hard, not at all luxurious. With 2 showers per day a prerequisit, they were OK for pre-siesta showers, but always damp for our morning showers, because the heated towel rail / radiator was always cold.

Water feature 1: the toilet cistern constantly dribbled water through a worn valve washer, this I could hear through the closed door in the dead of night. There was an isolator valve and that cured it (but of course the cistern would not then refill). Being a very light sleeper I mentioned the problem to reception the next morning and when we returned for our afternoon siesta it had been fixed.

Water feature 2: our room was obviously close to the route of the soil-waste down-pipe from some of the bathrooms above us. Sound-proofing wasn’t a skill the designers had acquired, or perhaps the client couldn’t afford. This meant that we were ‘treated’ to the sound of dribbles and gushes of waste water. Bad enough, but the sound of solids as they bounced around the bends in the pipes was particularly distasteful particularly in the wee hours of the morning (pun intended).

The Wi-Fi worked well but signing-on involved starting up your internet browser and then waiting for it to find the hotel’s Wi-Fi login page, this doesn’t work on some browsers (I know because I’m an IT Consultant). Also this login process needs to be done each time you start a new internet session.

We were on a B&B basis because the plentiful Nerja hostelries do provide an exceptional variety of meals and snacks, with range of qualities and quantities to suit every appetite and budget. We had allowed a generous budget, so lunchtime and evening meals at the hotel were never a requirement for us.

The hotel breakfast was no more that we had expected and unfortunately, on some offerings, worse than we had feared. The tea was just rubbish (despite leaving it to brew), the preserves for toast were revolting, and as you would expect the marmalade (called ‘orange jam’) was by far the worst. It’s just penny pinching by bulk purchase of the cheapest by unit price, and damn the consequences for the enjoyment of the patrons.

The ‘bacon’ wasn’t, it was broiled sliced ham and overcooked to resemble greasy cardboard. If you were careful in your selection of fried eggs they were quite good. There were boiled eggs but I didn’t try them. I did try the scrambled eggs once but they were, I believe, recycled boiled eggs all mashed up and reheated – disgusting. The baked beans were good and hot, most mornings I enjoyed them on toast, sometimes with a carefully selected egg too (if a good one was available). All hot foot was under heat lamps or in under-heat trays.
The toast you prepared yourself using the single conveyor toaster provided (in a dining room that could easily seat 150 it would be hopelessly inadequate when busy). It took 6 passes to get the toast to go brown – so you can imagine the queues that would develop.

The fruit and yoghurt (latter not always available) were good. The cakes and pastries flattered to deceive. There were also cold meats (uncovered like all the food) but we didn’t try these for fear of flies (or perhaps flies in Spain observe hygiene measures?).

On the penultimate morning I took a piece of bread from the display of 6 types of pre-sliced bread. I selected the slice to match my requirements from middle of an arrangement of slices that had been assembled to form a loaf. I was shocked to see it had green mould spots all over it! Not good, so I took it to a waiter but, although he apologized and removed all of that type of bread from the display, the damage had been done to my confidence. From then on I sliced my own bread, from a whole loaf, but there was no tea-towel to hold the bread while you sliced it. It should be noted that some guests will not have hands as clean as yours (back to ablutions again).

The hotel carries a 4 star rating and even for Spain it deserves less, in the UK this hotel would be a 2 star for comfort/condition and in consideration of the substandard catering, and a 3 star for facilities (pool etc.). My rating – well it loses a star for condition and room facilities, another star for food quality and a further star for food hygiene, therefore 2 stars.

Room tip: Consider other hotels until something is done that makes this hotel better
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 November 2018

Room tip: A bit dated but very clean and had everything you needed.
Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Jet2holidays
Reviewed 30 October 2018

Breakfast was lovely and worth pre booking - not just a continental - the full monty!If hiring a car parking is on street or expensive on a daily basis in the hotel car park.The centre of the Town is pedestrian only so you won't need tp use the car if staying local. Location is a 10 minute walk from the main square.

Room tip: Coffee and Tea making in rooms would be good.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Alpharooms
Reviewed 30 October 2018 via mobile

I was apprehensive before we arrived at the hotel because of reading some previous reviews. I needn’t have worried as the hotel was lovely. The room was spacious and very clean. We had a sea view and would definitely recommend paying the extra for this. Food at breakfast was very good but we didn’t have an evening meal there as there were so many lovely restaurants nearby. The location of the hotel was ideal as it was only a 10 minute stroll to the balcon. Would definitely stay here again.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2018

First time staying at this hotel,when we've been to Nerja before we have stayed at the other end of the town, but it's not that far to the Balcon from here and it's nice just walking through the streets.
Our room was spacious and had a lovely view of the sea,we were on the top floor and had only one flight of stairs to the roof top pool, I'm amazed at the number of people who never shower before entering a pool, having baked in the sun with suncream on they just go straight into the pool.
Therefore we preferred swimming in the sea!
The rooms are cleaned daily and are rather dated but they are clean, for the price we paid we could not complain, there is a large choice of items at breakfast time and all the serving staff were very helpful.
I would recommend a sea view room as the balcony is spacious and it's lovely and relaxing watching and listening to the sea!

Room tip: Book a sea view room
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple