All reviews leisure centre swimming pool kids club lovely hotel weekend break bar food would highly recommend this hotel bed lodge waiting staff double bed bit dated nenagh town staff were excellent family room self catering great weekend breakfast was excellent
Reviewed 12 November 2018

On the description on the booking.com for this hotel it led me to believe that they had their own charger for electric vehicles. When I arrived at this hotel I discovered that the charger that is in their car park was not the hotel property, it was belong to and part of the ESB eCars national network of Chargers. This network is very poorly maintained and it is not surprising to find a charger not working. When I arrived the type II charger was not working. I mentioned to this to the lady on reception she told me that they have contacted the ESB over a week ago to inform them that it is not working.

When I made this booking I put in a little note to the management of the hotel as part of my booking normally I would get a reply to this confirming that all is well with the charger. I did not get a reply and therefore assumed incorrectly on my part that all was well with the charger. This is the note I sent the hotel: "I booked this hotel as it provided a Type 2 charger for my electric vehicle in the description on the booking.com website. If necessary can you book the EV charger for me as I will need a fully charged car for my departure on Saturday morning." As I said I did not receive a reply.

The management did allow me to plug in to an outside tree pin 13 amp socket I discovered outside the front door of the hotel. This socket obviously had a very low amperage trip switch or break as it tripped out on me multiple times. I suspect the power supply was only meant for garden lights.

As a result of the incompetence of this hotel management I had to go and sit at a slow charger provided by the local Lidl (I was very lucky that Lidl provided this charging service). I strongly believe that the hotel management do not understand the importance of providing a reliable power supply for electric vehicles. They should have many adequate power supplies coming from the multiple lampposts they have in the car park. The lesson I've learned from this is that going forward in future I will telephone the hotel before my arrival and satisfy myself that the hotel I'm booking has an adequate charging facilities and adequate backup outdoor power supply's.

Room tip: Electric vehicle users need to ring ahead to ensure charger is working.
Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank TheRoadRunner544
AbbeyCourtHotel_12, General Manager at Great National Abbey Court Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2018

Thank you for your review. Yes you are right the team here at the hotel are not up to speed with the intricate subject of car charging. We have contacted the E Cars to get a full briefing and hopefully we will not fall down as badly again.I do hope our incompetent management team fulfilled your Hotel needs to a good standard.

Reviewed 6 November 2018

We stayed here recently for a night for a friend's wedding. We found it clean, the staff friendly and of good value. The room was nice and big as was the bathroom. It's also walking distance to the town center. We would recommend staying here.

Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thanks for that.We hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed 5 November 2018

Stayed on a busy Saturday night. Reception staff were friendly, efficient and helpful.
Our room was clean but tired. The beds were comfortable and clean. Bathroom dated and the shower was hot but water pressure was not great. the bath was SLIPPY but a mat was provided,, Towels were clean in good condition. There was a bit of noise in the night with wedding guests heading off to sleep off their days boozing... little the management can do about that.
Breakfast..young staff again very friendly and helpful but really under pressure..doing their best to turn around tables to seat guests as they came down. The cold buffet was really under pressure with staff working hard to replenish the bread, juice etc. The food was good and served quickly. The hot breakfast buffet was good with freshly cooked food available.. (No rubber eggs here). Good value, very clean, great staff but breakfast room needs a bit of a reorganization and the room we stayed in needs a freshen up. Thanks to the staff.

Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thanks for your review. We will be starting a refurbishing plan early 2019. As for pressure at breakfast this is a complex matter. The nature of weekend business is everyone likes to have breakfast as late as possible. Then of course there is considerable pressure on staff and production. I do note your comments and will try to improve,

Reviewed 4 November 2018 via mobile

Just back from a great few days in the Abbey Court. The staff and management couldn't have been nicer and family facilities were amazing! From the creche and the kids club to the swimming pool and the lovely food we couldn't fault anything. Our 5 year old was devastated to leave the hotel and we will definitely be back.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family

wonderful that you had such a great time.

Reviewed 3 November 2018 via mobile

We’ve stayed here a few times in the lodges adjoining the hotel and like the space and privacy with young kids while also being able to enjoy the hotel and leisure amenities.

There are some good deals on offer and overall we would recommend this hotel as a base to explore Nenagh, the Lough Derg area towns, climb the Devil’s Bit, see the Rock of Cashel, walk around Lough Gur etc. It’s also a bonus as electric car users to have a fast charging point located at the hotel and a backup free charger at the Lidl next door. Great Halloween fireworks in Nenagh as part of Spleodar festival.

However there are a few recommendations to improve the experience which we hope management will take on board.

1 a) We welcome news that refurbishment works are taking place. Could this include the old Nordmende TVs in the lodges? They are not fit for modern requirements as there are no HDMI connections and some aren’t working in rooms. People appreciate terrestrial channels but also now like to watch Netflix, Amazon etc on the TV using a phone to HDMI connection (we can also use our own mobile data to chromecast with a little tweaking - imagine if the hotel allowed such high speed steaming also; it would be a great selling point), so it would be great if people had the option of streaming from mobile devices and maybe even offer rental of connectors etc.

1(b) There’s huge potential for cost savings through the adoption of solar PV, geothermal etc. Not sure whether there’s a capital budget for such a refurb but it would pay back in years to come. Big grounds so no excuses for not eco-proofing.

2) If you pay for late checkout until 2pm it is mildly annoying to get a call from reception to ask what time are you leaving; it feels pressurised. Maybe a note to say that if you’re leaving earlier than checkout time to contact staff so they can be ready?

3) Is there really a need to charge 50c for towels at the leisure centre? We brought our own from the house and ended up leaving the heating on in the kitchen to dry them. Not very energy efficient when the hotel drying would presumably be cheaper collectively.

4) I know headline deals attract people but should the hotel sector mimic Ryanair with “hidden” charges like the towels, services and energy? In winter with a daily charge for electricity/heating there is no incentive for people to use energy wisely in this context. This fixed energy pricing should surely be included in calculations as you feel psychologically stung after adding them on at the end. Ditto cleaning fees etc. Maybe meter energy and allow people to economise? Our final price still represented value in comparison with many other locations so being more upfront wouldn’t deter.

Hopefully these suggestions can be taken on board. The ultimate recommendation is whether a family would stay again and yes, we would. Great staff, good facilities, ideal location.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family

Thank you for your inept review. It is great to get constructive feedback and suggestions. New TV's are part of the plan and will have modern connectivity. We do use air heat exchangers for our heating and hot water but find the financing of solar not at the right price point.