“Great local produce ”

Ranked #2 of 10 Restaurants in Strandhill
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 12 September 2017 via mobile

We visited following a recommendation by friend's and we were not dissapointed. We were lucky and had a short wait .the service was quick and the food was great . I got some Brown bread with my tea and it was amazing I asked the server what brand was it and she explained it was their own home made bread and was available in the shop next to the dining area . The shop has lots of local and home made produce. I went home with bag full of Brillant food. I will be back again for dinner and shopping.the coffee is pretty good too.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,038)

Reviewed 10 September 2017 via mobile

Gorgeous cafe in Strandhill. Fabulous views, fresh tasty food, great coffee and very friendly service!!!

Reviewed 9 September 2017

Good news travels far and you hear about Shells café regularly as a local of Donegal Town. Visiting Sligo we had to shoot out and try it after all the great feedback whenever mentioned.
It was a very wet day but you cant help feel the nice seaside setting as you arrive into the small collection of bars, restaurants and shops. Shells branding on the side of their building hit me first which was a clever piece of Marketing 'You, Me & the Sea'. We parked right in front of the café looking out on the sea, impressive and a great representation of the Wild Atlantic Way.

It was just after 11 on a Thursday and the café was buzzing, two free tables and I counted 38 heads. Its a little confusing when you walk in and the place is full, you don't know where to go and nobody is giving direction, we just walked up the café and seated ourselves.

I chose to go with the Chilli Eggs and my wife with a breakfast special off banana and walnut bread. The food was less than 15 mins from order to plate and the overall presentation was nice.

Great flavour from every ingredient in the Chilli Egg dish, however a small warning the Harissa toast is very spicey that it over powers any other ingredients in the same mouthful. The sausage was distinctively full of flavour in comparison to majority and the tomato concasse was a great balance between sweet and spicey.

I didn't taste the banana bread special as the chilli was so contrasting however my wife really enjoyed it.

There is a nice easy going manner between the team and you can see the business has done a great job it creating a work environment the employees feel a belonging, a mini community within that reaches out.

Shells is a very good café with so much going for it, in order for it to become great the team should focus on hospitality. Meaning their technical service was good however lacked the personal connection with the people, in my visit anyway.

I have no doubt this will continue to be a great food destination for many moons.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

I first ate here 4 years ago and at the time enjoyed it, and was delighted to have the opportunity to eat here again but was hugely disappointed this time round. On the plus: service was good with friendly young staff. A problem with my salad was dealt with promptly and politely. Atmosphere was good.
Food was only okay, Two of us ate here and both of us were disappointed. The menu looked interesting however taste was average. I felt it was grossly overpriced and over rated. My companions 'special burger' wasn't as described. Vegetarian menu is restricted. Sadly I won't eat here again.
Disappointed to see that one is charged extra for alternatives like soya milk ... For this reason I didn't order coffee and cake after my meal.

2  Thank Vickycork
Reviewed 6 September 2017

We had a lovely meal at Shells, great produce served with plenty of smiles. The shop attached to the cafe was small but perfectly formed. It was a great place to browse while waiting for our table and had so many lovely things to buy.