“Lovely home made food.”

red rose cafe
Ranked #13 of 47 Restaurants in Longford
Cuisines: Irish
Reviewed 18 December 2017 via mobile

We had lunch here today. Turkey ham and all the trimmings. Roast Beef . Baked Alaska. All freshly cooked and delicious. Real home cooking. Nice friendly staff. Lady owner very pleasant. Great value for lovely food

Reviewed 25 September 2017

I found this cafe on searching for somewhere to stop for Breakfast on the way to Tubbercurry.
The address number is wrong as it is a one way system the, Cafe is on the left as you enter Dublin Street and there is parking outside.
We both had a full Irish Breakfast, tea and toast for Euros 9.99 each and it was Excellent, a very large plate full of food nicely cooked.
I would say if you are in the area go there you WILL enjoy it.

2  Thank BGPSLancs
Fergal F, Owner at red rose cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2017

Hello BGPSLancs

Thank you for your feedback, I am delighted that you enjoyed our breakfast.
I will look into the address issue, It is 4 Dublin Street Longford so I will check why this is.

kind regards

Fergal

Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

I had the unfortunate pleasure of visiting this little joyless place for breakfast when visiting friends for a weekend and I must say the food was fine, but the staff were the most rude sarcastic idle people I have met in a long time.

When we went in they did have a number of full tables, however they all had food and were on their way out.

I will say we were a group of 6 but we split into two tables as to make their jobs easier, however they treated us as one to make it more difficult for them.

As we arrived we were shown to two tables and split and after sitting had menus flung at us and not asked if we wanted drinks, just left by our first surly waitress to gaze over the sticky overpriced menus.

The second arrogant waitress came to take our order and seemed to judge us on our meal choices and scowled as she took our order not asking for drinks again unless prompted.

One line that seemed a little odd was "French toast takes a while" when we didn't appear in a rush and she seemed put out that they had to make a menu item.

As we waited for our food they brought us exceedingly weak tea in a pot to share between two distant tables and then after long delay some foul bistos finest coffee to taxi across the void.

Toast followed to our table after another wait and then after 5 minutes discovered the 6 slices were to share between us again, across the void it went, the other table asked if they got a plate of toast for themselves and they were given an empty plate.

Two of us had the Full Irish breakfasts with a substitution (different tables) and both were wrong, we both just said leave it as the waitress was rude and aggressive at this point trying to take the food we had already waited a while for.

The food tasted ok but not sizeable for the price paid, it was hot and cooked well, but during the whole event waitress number two scowled across the two tables and the other loudly joked with another customer "well at least your happy".

The customary "Is everything ok?" was instead "Did you get everything you ordered!?!" as we were part way through the meal trying now just to eat and leave.

Paying was the last hurdle which was met by surly server number 1, one of us only had 2 sausages and a cup of tea and was charged €6 which seemed incredibly expensive.

I would never recommend this cafe as it is one of the worst dining experiences I have ever had, the staff were pottering round scowling at us and loudly slagging us off to other customers and being surly towards all errors and logistical nightmares they had created.

Expensive ok small portioned food is not a reason for me to say really anything good about this cafe.

The staff however annoyed by our entering an establishment for food, splitting ourselves onto two tables, trying to ask for the correct items, taxiing tea/coffee/minimal toast across the expanse was never a reason for the complete lack of customer service or even human decency that these servers are employed to give.

I will not be returning to this overpriced rude hole of a cafe and should have followed my initial impression to just stand up and leave when the sticky menus were slapped onto the squashed in tables by our Poe faced server.

7  Thank Life_write

Hello Life_write

After reading your review, you clearly must of had a bad day when you took to your killer keyboard!!!!!!!! Most if not all of what you wrote is complete and utter rubbish. I can inform you now that none of our employees would "scowl" at any customer. We have arranged mystery shoppers on may occasions and our employees come out with top marks every time. Further more, stating that our food portions are "not sizable" for the price is once again an over exaggeration of your finger tips when presented with a keyboard, this we know from all of our repeat loyal customer base. At this point now I am not going to continue justifying an answer to all of your above rant, as we know that we run a friendly/tidy/clean/value for money/welcoming establishment & have done successfully for the past 21 years, with the vision to be there for at least the next 21 years. Next time your in Longford make sure and try one of the other establishments our town has to offer, it may give you more to write about.

All the best

Red Rose Cáfe Team.

Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

Dropped in on my way to a football with my Mother. Our main courses were perfect - Steak sambo and fish. Then we ordered our desserts and there was a mix up. I explained this to a member of staff who tried to persuade me that the dessert I got was the one I ordered - clearly wasn't. She was very rude about the whole situation and to top it off when I told her I didn't wish to eat the wrong dessert she mumbled under her breath "you'd eat it if you were hungry enough". I myself have worked in very popular restaurants and this totally appalled me. My mother nor I will be coming back here I will not be recommending this restaurant to anyone! Oh and I think this member of staff might have actually been a manager.

Management response:Responded 7 September 2017

Hi SophGra21
Firstly I wish to apologise that you feel so strongly about the experience you had while in dining with your mother. It is my understanding that you ordered a pavlova, however when you received your dessert it was in fact a pavlova roulade. At no point did any member of staff mutter under their breath that " if you were hungry enough you would eat it " and the member of staff you were talking to after she approached you on noticing that you were not eating your desert ( which you have failed to mention ) and cleared up that it was a pavlova roulade was in fact one of the owners. You have also failed to mention that as you were not happy with your desert that you were not charged for it only charged for the main course you had. We are 21 years in business in Longford and as you can imagine we wish to have nothing but 100% happy customers.

Reviewed 10 August 2017

Had dinner here
My steak sandwich was not enjoyable, maybe I made a bad menu choice
My hubby and teen enjoyed the turkey and ham, although the mash was very dry
Kids meal was pretty shocking €9.50 for 3 goujons and frozen chips more expensive than any restaurant in Dublin!!
Very expensive meal, would not visit again

Management response:Responded 7 September 2017

Hi Louise S
It is a pity to hear that you did not enjoy your steak sandwich, If you brought it to the attention of the staff members we would of been more than happy to accommodate you. The kids meals charged at €9.50 does not sound correct, did you query this at point of payment?