Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Dessie H
Orlando, Florida

Avoid, avoid!

Review of Koka Roka
1.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 14 July 2013via mobile
The person who we found there (possibly the owner, because he definitely had the attitude) - the most unwelcoming, unfriendly and grouchy person ever. The place is filthy, no towels and you CANNOT use the restroom in the restaurant if you happen to be there and you are not eating or drinking, it doesn't matter if you pay for a room or not. No wonder the place was empty! We chose to leave at once!
Date of stay: July 2013
    AU$174
  • StayForLong
1.9 km from Koka Roka
View more hotels in Kalambaka
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 17 October 2011

we stayed here and it was great.. but please keep in mind.. we always choose B and B's that are family run when we can. They did think that the reservation was for the next night.. (their english wasn't so good) but it worked out... like others the rooms are basic but this is a small town and please remember not a metropolitian city... the food was fine.. it was in their kitchen over an open fire..
would recommend if you want the real feel of Greece.

Room tip: Basic rooms at the foot of the path to the monestaries...
Date of stay: November 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank OurFairDinkumLife
Reviewed 30 September 2011

i stayed at Koka Roka january 2009 and thought it was ok, the rooms were basic but clean and tidy and the owner Arthur was friendly. The mother cooked the meals and i wouldn't agree with other reviewers that it was "the best i ever tasted" was abit salty and tough for my tastes but again ok for the price, the father smoked heavily in the dining room which made me feel ill but smoking in resturants in greece seems to be the norm. However i was grateful that the mother strongly advised me and 2 other travellers to walk the track up to the monastries rather than drive and the experience was amazing!!! Her advice was you had to "see, smell and taste Meteora" and i now totally agree! Location is definitley great

Date of stay: January 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank lizzie99
Reviewed 16 May 2011

To sum up my stay at Koka Roka in one word: Magic.

When I arrived in Kalambaka with my travel companion we looked around for rooms at which to stay and found hotels charging 50€ for one night's stay. Because it is the off-season, I was able to haggle to get prices as low as 40€, but no lower. Since this still seemed too high, I continued to search for places to stay until I found Koka Roka who made an initial offer of 30€ for a two-bed room which I gladly accepted. I am so glad I did.

My companion and I were pleasantly surprised to find that the owner of the Koka Roka also offered breakfast and dinner, so our first evening in Kalambaka we ate at the Koka Roka. Arthur, the owner, recommended we try his juicy pork steaks and a salad.

To start with, the salad was unlike any I've ever had. It was hands-down the best salad I've ever eaten. The surprising thing was it was a really simple salad, consisting of basic ingredients like cucumbers, tomatoes, oil, olives, and feta. The simplicity of the salad compared with its phenomenal flavor made it all the more compelling. I'm a first-time visitor to Greece from the United States and have eaten a lot of feta stateside, but never have I eaten feta with flavor like that which the proprietors of Koka Roka served. Combined with the salad, it was out of this world and will certainly be one of the things I remember most about my visit to Greece.

After the salad, the owner brought out the pork steaks which he had cooked over a wood fire. Words couldn't do it justice, but suffice it to say I ended up gnawing at the bones after eating the entire steak because the flavor was more intense than any other pork I had ever eaten. It seemed to be cooked so perfectly that even the remnants on the bones were worth pursuing.

We spent the night at Koka Roka and I slept well. Since the hotel served breakfast as well and I knew I was going to be doing a lot of hiking at Meteora, I went downstairs in the morning and ordered coffee and breakfast from the owner's kind mother. She whipped up an out-of-this-world feta-and-bacon omelette for me which was--and I'm not exaggerating--the best omelette I've ever eaten. In the US, I eat a lot of eggs and bacon, but this omelette with feta and bacon was beyond comparison. The flavor was certainly fanatastic, but maybe it was something about the fact that I was eating it in the open air beneath the amazing rock formations of Meteora that added to the experience . . . In any case, I know the next omelette I whip up when I get home will be with feta (though, admittedly, the quality of the feta will likely not compare to the true Greek feta I had here).

The next day we spent the day up at Meteora visiting the amazing monasteries. After a long day of hiking around at Meteora, we returned to Koka Roka and got dinner. This time I ordered lamb as per the owners recommendation as was not disappointed. Again, I can say without exaggeration that this was the best lamb meal I have ever eaten. I ended up gnawing at the bones to get ever last bit of the perfectly cooked meat.

I tried to savor every moment I had in Kalambaka and Meteora, and I found some of the moments at Koka Roka to be the most memorable and pleasant of all. I will certainly not forget the hospitality of the owner and his mother, their entertaining conversation and recommendations for must-see Greek sites to visit, and their amazing home-style cooking.

Room tip: Get breakfast and dinner here.
Date of stay: May 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank SeattleHello
Reviewed 4 May 2011

The hotel rooms were not very nice. Good location, near the monastries.

Date of stay: June 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Nic046
Reviewed 13 March 2011

We had a wonderful, magical experience visiting Meteora... except for our experience at Koka Roka. We stayed here on the recommendation of Lonely Planet and the LP review turned out to be very inaccurate (the owners talked about knowing the LP author and visiting him in the states. Could that be why???).

We agreed to 35 euros for a double room. LP stated "generous breakfast available for 2-4.5 euros," so we negotiated to include breakfast for 40 euros for the night. The owner was to have breakfast ready at 8:30am so we could hike up to the monasteries. At about 9am, she showed up and served us 6 slices of dry white bread with a butter and jam packet, luke-warm tea, and a small nescafe for my friend. When she cleared the basket away and brought nothing else we were shocked. We said we needed more for the day's hike, but she said she had no more food. In a few minutes she came to our room as we were getting ready to offer us eggs. We gladly accepted and had 2 fried eggs each.

Here's the kicker: at the end of the day, we had 30 mins to catch our train to Athens and the owner's son, Arthur confronted us with an exorbitant bill of 62 euros. When we asked, he said they'd charged us 5 EUROS for the eggs!!!!!!!!! Our dinner from the previous night had been 17 euros for a teeny tiny plate of tsatsiki, two small plates of lamb (which was good, but bony and over-salted) with fries, and a cup of coffee for my friend. All in all, our bill for the meager food totaled 27 euros!!!!! For young people on a budget, this was totally unacceptable, but Arthur wouldn't budge and we didn't have time to argue, thus Koka Roka earned itself this scathing review.

To second other reviewers concerns: The owner was hacking up a lung in the kitchen the whole time and we had to pretend it wasn't getting on our food. Arthur's son was terrorizing in the dining room, knocking over chairs and nearly smashing my friend's fingers between two chairs and the owner's weren't apologetic in the least. Even with the heater on, the room was cold. There were NO towels.

Meteora was an AMAZING place and we had a wonderful time. Most of our stay at Koka Roka would have been swallow-able, but not the bill. Our experience at Koka Roka left a bad taste in the mouth at the end of a visit that would have otherwise been extremely relaxing and awe-inspiring.

Date of stay: March 2011