New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Grand Central Hotel

Grand Central Hotel
Ranked #16 of 36 Hotels in Eureka Springs
Forney, TX
“Like stepping back in time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2011

I recently had my wedding reception at the Grand Central. Linda and Dusty did an excellent job of helping me coordinate the event! I live out of state and appreciate all they did for me. I gave Linda a picture of a wedding cake that I liked and she did a wonderful job decorating my cake, which by the way, was very good! We had too many people in our party to stay at the Grand Central but Linda and her staff did a great job with the reception. The reception room was beautiful and the food was great! I did rent a room in which to get dressed before my wedding. It was a cozy room and the bed was really comfortable. I would also like to thank Chris for doing hair and makeup for my wedding party - she was a lot of fun!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank NeshaandSteve

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2010

We stayed here when we got married this year and it was excellent. It is an older hotel however the owners are wonderful and accommodating . We also had our reception dinner at their restaurant which was the best in town. This hotel really went above and beyond for us we loved it.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Caci0424
Texarkana, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2010

We had a wonderful time in Eureka Springs ...our first trip to this jewel in the Ozarks. The Grand Central Hotel was just that... grand. Beautiful antique-filled lobby. Large, well-appointed rooms with comfortable, period furniture. Comfortable king bed. Spacious bathroom with jacuzzi, separate water closet, and (amazing in an old building) incredible water pressure. Be sure you can climb stairs. Live music with an absolutely outstanding meal at Grand Taverne. Spa services also available. Everything about our stay was welcoming and enjoyable, right down to the friendly cock-a-poo at the front desk. The Grand has a very interesting history and is well located to the shops, retaurants and springs. BTW, Linda, one of the owners, is president of the historical society and is a wonderful source of information about the hotel and area. Checked out other hotels as we walked around and confirmed that we'll be going back to the Grand Central.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank texarkanatotaos
Port Aransas-Houston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2010

Fantastic restuarant with equally fantastic service, we had their special, which was a fried talapia in garlic butter caper sauce-exquisite, tastey, hot and fresh, five stars. Their wine list is good, their wait staff exceptional, professional, and thoughtful. Hotel parlor, dining, and bar all historic, original blasts from the past. Historically a five star place...And the location is premium! I love their location! The two owners, to their credit, are always there. He being far from gracious-more like an undertaker, she being an absolute delight. Truely an odd couple. But somehow it must work.
Hotel spa and barber shop downstairs are probably worth a visit. We had haircuts, male/female, and were both very pleased. Blonde lady doing the cuts (forgot her name) friendly and attentive, and very skilled. Five stars to her!
Now to the rooms; we rented the $520.00 suite for two nights. The master bath could be nice except for the ice cold hot water heater. Use the second bathroom in the hall to shower. The much touted whirlpool bath was probably very nice 10 years ago. Now it is not much different than blowing through a straw-weak pump and jets. And even then, water never did get hot enough to really enjoy. Suite living room could be nice if the couch and television were updated-we like the 1800's feel, not the 1980's. Peach colored carpet in my room filthy and old-again, very 80's. Faucets in master bath just plain gross-the brass had been rubbed off YEARS ago. Bottom Line-if you don't mind a junky room but do like wonderful food, stay somewhere else and eat at their place for dinner.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank jjensenTx
Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2010

Our recent stay began with me coming into the hotel around 7:30 pm, after the long, windy road in the dark, I was a bit frazzled. The man who was at the front desk just looked at me as I came to him - no "Hello", "Welcome" or "How can I help you". So, I just said that I had a reservation. He asked my name and then asked for payment - upfront for 2 nights stay - different, but, OK.

After getting settled in, we went to the restaurant downstairs and had ordered some exceptional appetizers from a great waitress. We decided to eat in our room after driving some 11 hours. The owner (I believe) was nice enough to help us.

We decided that Eureka Springs wasnt really for us - overall, we felt the town had a "creepy" atmosphere to it. So, we decided to get out of town. Went downstairs and advised them that we were leaving. When I asked for a refund of the night we were not using, I was told "no". Unless I could offer that there was some emergency. I chose not to lie and they kept my $135 for the evening that I didnt use the hotel.

While I understand hotel policies, I was kind of shocked by their unwillingness to even offer a 1/2 refund of the tab. If they had been turning folks away, I could certainly understand it, but from my best estimate, the hotel was nearly empty.

The more I think about the experience, the more I feel ripped off. Hotel policy or not, really, how do they justify keeping over $100 for "policy"? Needless to say, I will never go there again, and will offer the advise to friends that they shouldnt book more than a night at a time ... just in case.

• Stayed March 2010