All reviewsski bootsbreakfast and dinnerstag groupnice budget hotelfresh fruitstayed here for a weekhalf termbus stopbuffet styleon a daily basisclean hotelpastahard days skiingrooms were cleanedski areacleaned dailysauna
Reviewed 24 March 2018

My friend and I stayed here for a week in March and really couldn’t fault it. We knew what to expect from the previously fairly good reviews and there were no surprises. Good value for money, extremely clean, decent food and lots of it - I can be a fairly picky eater and there wasn’t a day went by when my plate wasn’t full. The bar area is good, the staff were always on hand and were pleasant and friendly. Yes, we could hear noise through the walls but nothing worse than others hotels I’ve stayed at. I liked the location as I enjoyed the 5-10 minute walk to Pas 83 and the chairlifts in the morning, and window shopping on the way home. All in all, we enjoyed our stay and would definitely go back.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 March 2018

Good value, clean hotel, friendly staff, good food, very nice morning and evening buffet, only down sides were the beds are not the most comfortable and the rooms are like living in a sauna, even with the heating off and the windows partly open, not really conducive to a goods night sleep after hard days skiing and evening drinking.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank marcus1234523
Reviewed 15 March 2018

So, I was among the group of 19 that have already commented on our experience at this hotel and I want to add a few more comments. My husband and I were so excited about this holiday as it was a reunion with some old friends and meeting of new ones. Yes we were a little noisy but as you would expect from a group of 19 happy excited friends. The Hotel knew we were a large group and so they should have declined the booking. The walls are very thin and you can hear everything...so make sure you whisper. I thought the rooms were clean and the breakfast was nice. We liked some of the evening food especially the puddings. We would have probably ignored some of the negatives had it not been for a couple of staff, one male and one female, who were so hostile. Other staff were quite nice. We loved Pas de la Casa and will return as wonderful skiing.

Stayed: March 2018
2  Thank Smithens2015
Reviewed 14 March 2018 via mobile

So where to begin...

On first arrival at the *** Cal Ruiz hotel our 19-strong party consisting of family and friends were happy and eager to start our highly anticipated ski holiday. At first glance it seemed like a reasonably priced place all considering. Rooms tidy and spacious enough even with the wall paper resembling an elephant's ball bag.

Day two arrives with slight unease. I leave my communal cell that's as hot as a griddled tuna, down the freshly mopped wet stairs (same mopping time everyday) to breakfast. The pungent odour of anemic sausage and garlic chorizo fills the air like the stale stench of a rotting flesh.
Breakfast in all honesty wasn't too bad - good selection, but nothing labeled. A great day skiing followed by a bit of après in time to get back to the hotel for dinner, to be greeted by what one can only describe as a pudding troll, barking at me for my room number. All 19 of us sit around the long table in the dark, dated restaurant and one by one approach the offerings of the day. Tuna surprise (yet again), Offal delight, chicken dippers, questionable paella full of shell fish that looked like it had been sat around for days, potato croquets, cold meats, salad, cheese and a few other bits that had been thrown together from the remainder of breakfast.

Day three in the Cal Ruiz institute. Yet again food mostly consisted of very repetitive options considering the chefs killer skills at turning out tuna dishes. One of our party got a mouthful from a member of staff who SHOULD NOT be working in hospitality. A tuna fish would have more social skills than this particular member of staff.
If you're someone that doesn't mind a bit of noise from crying babies or a group of people having a chat then fine, however there was more screaming and banging during the second part of the week than would occur in a year in the red light district.

Another day another tuna surprise - skiing on the other hand - INCREDIBLE! (After all that is what we had gone on the holiday for).

And on the fifth day there was light - we ate out at a great steak house (top one on trip adviser for Pas - we had no problems) returned to clean rooms all round but strange attitudes from staff when walking through the bar to get to our rooms.

By now we had learnt our lesson: day six; we ate out.

Day seven: woke multiple times in the night with people knocking on the door and the howling of the wind from outside. By this point we all started to feel like we should have booked closer to the slopes as the walk to the locker room / slopes was starting to get to us. We ate out early but arrived back to the hotel bar to be refused service at 10:45pm, although there was another party all drinking at the bar being as loud as Katie Hopkins falling down the stairs in a K hole. Started to think the staff have some issue with the English?

To sum up, if I could wish one thing on the Cal Ruiz "hotel" it would be a certain celebrity chef turn up to feature it in a certain TV series. Now that would be some entertainment, however far from entertaining staying there.

To sign off I'll leave a delightful taste in your minds: Tuna surprise. Delicious.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
5  Thank Tom M
Reviewed 12 March 2018

On arrival the hotel seemed clean, tidy and a bit of a bargain. The food was of an ok standard considering the price we paid and the rooms weren't horrible.

As a big group we of course planned on frequenting the hotel bar and having a laugh. Apparently this is unacceptable (for British tourists) and we were berated by the rudest staff member. He was argumentative and aggressive to myself and the rest of our group. He claimed he had told us 'at least 10 times' to be quiet (at 930pm) he called a member of our group a rude English girl and told us the bar was shut to us for the remainder of the week. Having tried to alleviate the situation we thought we were on ok terms, until our last night when some members of our group were told the bar was shut to them (at 22:45) and when questioned he again became argumentative and even went on to follow one of our group to their room, being threatening and abusive. Completely unacceptable from any person, let alone for a hotel staff member.

To top it off when it came to checking out, 2 of the room deposits were refused because of our supposed behavior, despite the aggression being directed towards us, we will be contacting the hotel directly to get this sorted.

I would advise everyone to AVOID this hotel and spend a little extra to stay closer to the slopes and avoid being abused by staff members for trying to enjoy your holiday.

Room Tip: Don't bother.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends