“Great Place!!!”

and 1 more site!
Jinetes de Osa Hotel
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Drake Bay
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Stayed here for five nights in February 2012 and had a tremendously fun time diving, hiking, beaching, and amusing ourselves. I think 5 nights is the appropriate number of days here although it could be done in 4. Found the staff to be great, and send our thanks to the hotel managers Patrick and Giselle as well as our guides Ivan (dive master), Rolando (Corcovado), and Carlos (canopy). Enjoyed meeting the other guests in an open environment with communal dining. Fell asleep to the sound of waves crashing on the beach every night.

Found this hotel to be a great 'value play'. We compared the properties to those at aguilas de OSA and Paloma. While clearly better, couldn't justify the price for the extravagant frills. Most of the time you'll be away from your resort/hotel on excursions, so the money spent at these locations is spent idly in my opinion.

One significant plus about this place is that it is truly a one stop shop. They do all of the tour arrangement for you with experienced guides. There are a la carte tour operators in town but they didn't seem to be priced any better or offer better guides than our hotel. Our diving experiences were superb. Saw 20+ white tip sharks, eels, turtle, 50 species of fish, 3 species of rays, great underwater topography, and enjoyed the post dive beach lunch on playa josecito. Corcovado (sirena): saw several species of mammal incl a sloth, large weasel, agouti, and yes two tapirs; a mother with her baby, which was a high point. Birds, etc. the park overall while neat is not your splendor that some may be used to in the us national park system but more or a dense, walk able, tolerable heat/humidity, type of experience.

Overall, didn't stop smiling our entire stay and would return for sure if going to Drake Bay.

Drake overall was fantastic!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank James F

Reviewed 8 February 2012

Staying at Jinetes de Osa was an experience to remember. Walking to it from the Taxi dropoff was intersting...they do carry your bags thank goodness. You have to ford a small river and then you come to stone steps that rise into the jungle quickly bringing you to a lovely open air pavilion and bar. The greeting is excellent. The food and company was memorable and the guided adventures were very well done. Our Corcavodo naturalist had worked on a National Geographic ship. Advise you to to Serena Station. Okay for the not so great stuff. The walls are VERY thin and you can hear people breathing in the next room. Not conducive to honeymoon activity unless you want an audience. The house keeping staff can get loud if you're napping late and it's hard to read with the dim lights. But none of that was enough to take away from the wonderful general experience of just being there. It was also a good value for money.

Room Tip: The cheap rooms are tolerable...that's what we had, but the more expensive rooms are definitely...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Peter_Plantec
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Stayed two nights; food was excellent; rooms were clean; good location; nice bar and hot showers! It was the start of tourist season so not too many people. Staff went out of their way to find enough people at other hotels to go scuba diving & hiking. Also, made sure boats were on time for my departure. This hotel is the best bang for your buck in Drake. I would stay here again for sure.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank TravelingThrough66
Reviewed 26 January 2012

My friend and I had a fantastic time at Jinestes de Osa and it ended up being one of our favourite places ever! From the time we arrived to when we left, we were made to feel really welcome and nothing was too much trouble. We were late by a day because of a plane delay and they were lovely in changing our booking for us and re-organising activities.
If you want to chill out, you can. If you want to go snorkelling, diving, horse-riding, hiking, do a canopy tour and pretty much whatever else you can think of doing, they are happy and quick to organise for you. We enjoyed lots of activities whilst there - all of them well organised and fun.
If you are out doing activities you get a gorgeous lunch provided, if not you have lunch at the hotel along with snacks in the afternoon! Everyone eats together at dinner and it's lovely sitting having a relaxing drink with guests and staff in the evening.
All of that doesn't even mention the animals, beautiful beaches and wonderful forests...I'm planning on heading back in August this year... looking forward to it!!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kate M
Reviewed 2 January 2012

I stayed here over the week of Christmas and had one of the best holidays ever. I love that Drake Bay is so remote and isolated... that you can hike for several hours and barely see anyone (and have a beach all to yourself). Plus, the unspoiled jungle & wildlife is pretty incredible.

I've visited Drake Bay on four different occasions, staying at other resorts and I'd rate Jinetes as one of the best experiences. I liked that it was an easy walk into "town" and the main beach, plus they have a fantastic bunch of tours offered directly from the resort (it's the meeting place for most tours, even if you stay elsewhere).

The resort itself is clean and simple. There's hydro, which is nice for this part of the region. There is also a friendly bar where you can spend a leisurely hour before dinner chatting up locals & fellow travelers. Plus, there's an overlook with hammocks that you can enjoy.

I stayed in the shared bathroom room and it was very nice. I heard the ocean waves lapping all night - incredible.

The food was very good, and hearty! I never ever went hungry and I love to eat. They have snacks at 4pm if you need something extra and since you're close to town you can always grab a snack if it's absolutely necessary (I never needed a snack since I felt very well fed).

The staff made the experience awesome too. Victor is the most fun guy you'll ever meet. And I loved Kate & Giovani at the bar! Everyone made me feel like a welcome friend.

Since I was traveling alone, it was nice to spend Christmas dinner with like-minded, eco-friendly travelers... everyone had a great point of view and it was like the united nations with guests from all over the world.

I am totally shocked to read negative reviews about this resort. I have the feeling if these tourists stayed elsewhere in Drake Bay they'd have similar complaints. ALL of the resorts have three meals a day (same meal for everyone, family style) and the food was healthy and hearty here. ALL of the resorts in this region are going to have some bugs (I didn't actually see any in my room, which is unheard of in Drake Bay). I don't think this kind of vacation is for everyone. If you don't like the jungle you won't like Drake Bay no matter where you stay.

I have the feeling that the people who complain about a resort like this are more suited to stay at an all inclusive in Gunacaste, or better yet save their money and go to the Dominican Republic.

For me, this was the PERFECT vacation. I'm so so so happy I stayed here.

Room Tip: I stayed in the shared bathroom room and it was no problem. It's only shared with one other room...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Drake Bay Getaway Resort
Drake Bay Getaway Resort
#1 of 8 in Drake Bay

Recently Reviewed Hotels around Drake Bay

Been to Jinetes de Osa Hotel? Share your experiences!