All reviews bug lady mangrove tour sunset rancho osa peninsula corcovado national park costa rica other guests private table fish fajitas night hike san jose scarlet macaws boogie boards the river family style open air
Reviewed 9 February 2018

is how we felt staying at this lodge. We have stayed at a few of the lodges in the Osa Peninsula area, and find that each one is different and each one offers something the others do not , one takes away that part which you respond to. For us here at Paloma was the incredible feeling of being truly in the jungle, this does depend, however, on which room you have, ours was totally private (bungalow)never saw anyone at all from our porch, had a spectacular view of the water and the night sky along with the jungle music was magic. Staff and guides were excellent, and organization of time, trips and planning done very well, with much attentiveness. Think this was one of the early lodges, so rooms show that, as does pool area, but these are minor distractions from what the lodge offers in the way of nature and landscape. All in all, a lovely stay.

Room tip: bungalows a must, other rooms are in a 2-story building w/o much privacy
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
La_Paloma_Lodge, Guest Relations Manager at La Paloma Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2018

Dear Valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share you experience with other travelers. All of our Ranchos offer gorgeous ocean & jungle views, all surrounded in luscious green jungle and all the creatures that call it home. The La Paloma property is quite large which gives us the luxury of space and privacy in-between each room. The less secluded rooms are our superior cabins, which still offer an obstructed ocean view and have beautiful gardens all around the unit.

All rooms offer balcony's with hammocks for ultimate relaxation after the mornings excursions, air conditioning for the hot & humid nights and open air bathrooms - for an adventurous shower, sometimes the monkey's swing by to say hello.

Thanks again from all of us La Paloma Lodge

Reviewed 9 February 2018

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed 5 days at LaPaloma, it is truly one of the most exotic and scenic places we've ever been. We had a sunset rancho, which had a mesmerizing view from the deck out over a hillside jungle and beautiful wide view of the Pacific. Birds landed on the tree next to our room, and monkeys were around as well. The 2-floor suite was gorgeously decorated, comfortable, and nicely tiled bathrooms with open air views of the ocean and jungle were superb. We used the recently installed AC at night; it was new, worked very well and was very quiet. While the sunset ranchos are top tier price, it was totally amazing and worth it, even though we were 2 people and it sleeps 4. The LaPaloma staff was very friendly and helpful, coordinated our daily outings, as well as checked and confirmed our flights back to the US. The Corcovado and the Sierpe river mangrove tours were amazing. We saw a lot of colorful birds and animals on both trips, and our guide Randall was great in telling us all about the forest, birds and animals in a very interesting and engaging way. One of the best beaches we've ever been to was the San Josecito beach, reached by a 15 minute boat ride with a sheduled return pick up time. This beach should not be missed. Warm, calm and clear water with palms along the edge, monkeys, birds, and very few people. Spend the day here, and LaPaloma will pack a lunch, water, and beach chairs. The beach right below LaPaloma is also very nice, convenient, but the wave action was a bit rough for relaxed swimming. The food at LaPaloma was very good, and we enjoyed talking with many very nice, interesting and well-traveled people. I would say this place is on par to Kauai, Hawaii in terms of shear beauty, and beats it in lushness and variety of jungle foliage, birds and animals. At LaPaloma, we felt in another world far away, a very special sort of shangri-la place. The only downside is the 12-passenger plane ride from San Jose, which for us, not being accustomed to the bounciness of small planes, was scary. The alternative is a long 3-hr arduous road trip, then a 1-hour fast boat ride down the Sierpe River, through the mouth where the boat is dwarfed by breaking waves, and the entire boat ride is a very hard slam-slam-slam down on each wave. Well, nothing is quite perfect!

Room tip: Sunset ranchos are expensive but worth the superior view from the deck.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
La_Paloma_Lodge, Guest Relations Manager at La Paloma Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2018

Dear James,
Thank you for your review and for choosing La Paloma Lodge. I'm sure our entire hotel staff enjoyed catering to your needs as much as you enjoyed your stay.

San Josecito beach can be reached by foot, about 8km from the lodge along the gorgeous pacific coast. There is jungle hugging the coastline and you can sometimes spot monkeys, birds and smaller animals on the hike. For the avid hiker this walk is a lovely full day activity, for those who want to take is easy we can arranged a drop off/pick up by boat, one way or both. I recommend walking in the morning and being met with lunch at the beach to then return by boat. An amazing day that can cater to all ages.

Though it is an adventure just getting here, you won't be disappointed when you arrive. You will understand why the location is so biodiverse and full of life. A must do for anyone interested in seeing Costa Rica's best wildlife!

We hope to welcome you again to La Paloma.

Reviewed 24 January 2018

Even after reviewing the many positive reviews, my experience at La Paloma Lodge far exceeded my expectations in all ways. The overall property is everything one would hope for in an eco-property with a nice balance between amenities and immersion in the features of a rainforest. Diverse wildlife is abundant near the property and even more accessible if one takes advantage of the available guided walks and hikes offered by local world class naturalists including Walter and Randall. Accommodations are outstanding for appreciating the setting. A/C in main part of my room was nice for sleeping but otherwise I enjoyed being outside.Bed was comfortable and enhanced by the high quality microfiber linens. Food quality and preparation were outstanding. The best of the best? The people at the lodge or in related roles. Everyone and I mean everyone was absolutely genuine, thoughtful, kind, helpful, and utterly delightful. This was my experience from the top down. I returned to my room one day while the designated staff were cleaning.There were 2 young males and a female. They were gracious and we talked a bit. They swept the grit from the floors that accumulates in such an environment and then washed all the floors. They cleaned all the accessible windows such as on my balcony, inside and out.They swabbed down railings and handrails inside and out.My arrival itinerary was a bit complex. La Paloma arranged for a driver to pick me up at Puerto Jimenez rather than Drake Bay which required a 2 hour "jeep" ride to La Paloma. I considered this part of the adventure of accessing such a remote haven. My driver was an absolute angel from heaven. He navigated through difficult roads that included river crossings after dark. He told me his name in Spanish was like dolphin. Sorry I'm not able to be more specific.The last leg of my travel to La Paloma was compromised by the dark, tide, and poor visibility. I was provided the assistance of two very very capable young men who helped me arrive at La Paloma Lodge. During our short journey, one of ny escorts offered to carry me across a small stream. Really? When's the last time anyone has experienced such chivalry? I was touched and wanted to get on my knees. At the lodge itself staff continued this kind tradition in their own ways. I wish I could offer the the names of all but there were so many. Of course as cited in other evaluations, Nicole and Jamaica were exceedingly helpful in all ways. But please take special note of kitchen staff and the chef. Oh my. And room help. Names I hope I acknowledge appropriately would be Lilly. Jeanine. Alonso.Geison. Jose.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
La_Paloma_Lodge, Guest Relations Manager at La Paloma Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2018

Dear Kay,

You are such a doll for writing this amazing review. It was a great pleasure to host you, Hernan and myself miss the funny chats and laughs we shared together.

All of our staff take pleasure in making our guests happy and relaxed, they will go out of their way to show you that bird or sloth you didn't get to see, or decorate your room with sweet smelling flowers and cute towel arrangements. We take pride in our product and are pleased to hear you agree.

Delfin our taxi driver is the best, a genuine, sweet service minded fellow with a comfortable vehicle to get you through the rough roads and rivers safely. He was very happy to read your review and sends his regards.

I'm happy that you enjoyed your stay and I'm looking forward to having you again as a guest at La Paloma.

All the best,

Reviewed 20 January 2018

I run a small company specializing in wildlife photography. We have traveled to many different countries (Costa Rica several times) and stayed in many hotels, La Paloma is definitely among the best. The hotel is located on a bluff providing a spectacular view of the ocean and the rooms are beautiful, very comfortable and have terrific beds. The food is excellent and as good as any gourmet restaurant I've been to. Best of all, however, is the staff (especially Jose). They could not be more friendly, helpful and accommodating. Even the resident monkeys were cooperative and provided great photographic opportunities. La Paloma easily rivals hotels that cost two to three times the price. I highly recommend the mangrove tour.

Room tip: They are all good but the two near the pool are slightly large
Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled on business

Dear Scott,

We had so much fun hosting you and your photographers. Your were definitely a perfect fit for rustic elegance on the Osa Peninsula. I am sure you got some great photos on your excursions into Corcovado and the Sierpe-Terraba mangrove forests, two of the best tours to see wildlife and very popular among our guests.

Thank you for your positive comments. I hope your next stay is just around the corner. Call us if there is anything we can help you with.

Reviewed 18 January 2018

Can't recommend this lodge highly enough.
Rooms were wonderful, with great balconies, complete with hammock, and reading chairs.
The lodge's common area for dining and lounging was also very nice, with lovely views all around. We saw lots of birds and monkeys just while sitting on the veranda, and on our last day one of the other guests reported an ocelot sighting!
The meals were fantastic, with at least two choices at every meal, and were served family-style to promote interaction between the guests, which was pleasant.
Dinner was preceded by different snacks every night - guacamole, ceviche, plantain chips....
The lodge's sandy beach was lovely and accessible via a series of stone steps and paths.
The pool was small and unheated, but nicely situated.
Best of all were the lodge's very friendly and caring staff. All were good, but Nicole and Jamaica stood out.
We also enjoyed hiking and snorkelling tours with Walter and Randall, respectively, both of whom are very knowledgeable and enthusiastic guides.
The lodge also provides complimentary kayaks, which we used, and boogie boards, which we did not.

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for leaving your thoughts here on TripAdvisor. We were so delighted to hear that you enjoyed the best of La Paloma. The views truly are amazing, whether you are looking out at the pacific or into the jungle canopy there are endless vistas that take your breath away.

Not to forget the fauna that lives around the hotel. Though Ocelots are not common to see, we have had several sightings by our night guards who say that the beautiful cats like to sit by the pool at night. How cool is that! More common animals to see are monkeys, Toucans, Scarlet Macaws, Coati's and sometimes snakes.

How great that you enjoyed our family style dinners, it brings everyone together to share the amazing things they've experienced and tips of other places to visit. It has been a popular addition to the hotel since we opened. We do accommodate for those who wish to have a private dinner. Thank you for mentioning our staff by name, we work very hard to make sure all of our guests get a once in a lifetime experience and when it shines through in a review like yours it warms our hearts.

We hope to welcome you again in the future, thanks again!