All reviews paddle boarding boat ride fish restaurant staff corcovado national park costa rica osa peninsula close encounter howler monkeys air conditioning sea turtles ceviche treated like family once in a lifetime san jose tree house abundant wildlife
Reviewed 2 September 2018

This place won our hearts and will be remembered for a long time. We were a group of 3 adults and 2 children and all of us did not want to leave this magical place, at the end of our stay , it felt like we stayed at a friend's house . The staff is amazing, cooked
the most delicious food (the best food we had in Costa Rica), was caring for us the entire stay . The place itself is beautiful and ofer great hikes into the forest.nature is everwhere. for sure we will return to this magical place, Million thanks to Randall, Henry, James, Alberth , and of course Jay and Mike. You are the best team one could wish . Pura Vida !

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 August 2018 via mobile

Amazing trip with our 8 year old daughter - highly recommended. Accommodation, scenery, wildlife, food were all super and above all the staff were fantastic. We were so sad to leave such a magical place.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2018 via mobile

If you want to experience a paradise in Earth, you should stay a few days at this hotel. This place is the complete opposite to a crowded day at the Capilla Sixtina or Met Museum. The location is fantastic, the surroundings are beautiful and the neighbors are super special, monkeys, pecoris, birds, lizards, insects...
Your room will not have a TV, and this is because you don’t need it, its time to listen carefully to the ocean, to all the jungle noises, to the rain, to the breeze and the wind.
The service is 10 out of 10. All of them, without exception. They are just perfect!
The food is really good. Fish, chicken, rice, vegetables...everything is perfectly cooked. All dishes are very well presented.
What else can I say? It’s your opportunity to feel truly peace.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2018 via mobile

What a great experience, with wonderful and friendly people surrounded by overwhelming nature. It took the-five-of-us us 5 minutes to fell in love with the place and we would be very happy to visit it again.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2018

I took my family of six and stayed eight nights at Copa de Arbol earlier this month (July '18). We had a wonderful experience and have already recommended it to friends and family with more certainty than we have recommended any other location. Our experience at Copa de Arbol has improved my trust in the "Trip Advisor Best Small Hotel" awards -- the award is certainly well deserved.

I have a family of six, with our kids ranging in age from fourteen to twenty-one. We have a son who is leaving for an LDS mission soon (and hence will be gone for two years), and wanted a good family vacation with a lot of family time. The Copa de Arbol delivered a great family vacation, and a vacation experience that I know my kids will always remember.

The Drake airport is closed, so we flew in to Palamar and took a taxi to the boat in Sierpe, for the hour and a half ride to the resort. As another reviewer noted, even when the Drake airport opens, I would recommend going in through Palamar for the boat ride and the tour of the mangroves. (The boat ride back at the end of the vacation was enjoyable, but going out from Drake when it opens would also be an option.) We arrived and saw the resort, and my kids noted it look 'just like the beach in Madagascar.' When we went up to the resort, they immediately pointed out the two scarlet macaws that were in the tree ten feet from the tables at the restaurant, and the ten or so toucans that were in the trees as well. The macaws were daily visitors, and even put on a show mating on our third day at the hotel. The wildlife was amazing at the hotel, We awoke (or were woken up) by howler monkeys right above our bungalow half of the mornings, and had other monkeys playing on the roofs of the restaurant and bungalows on a few occasions.

The staff were all amazing. It is service the way you hope a small resort will have service. They all know you and your kids' names, and work hard to ensure you have an enjoyable experience. Everyone was helpful suggesting beaches to visit and other things to do to enjoy the stay, or grabbing us when a boa was on the ground or a bird snake was in the trees. We got to know the both the owners who were on property when we were there, and my kids enjoyed the story of how they acquired and built the resort. I won't write all my kids learned and why I think it was so valuable, but suffice it to say it is obvious that Copa has been a labor of love, and their attitude and approach is certainly why the staff is so excellent.

I should note here that the food was excellent -- truly excellent. As we stayed a fair number of nights, they were always concerned that the menu would be repetitive, and were willing to accommodate any meal requests. (With the daily specials, I never felt any meal other than breakfast was repetitive, but at other resorts I tend to get the same two things for breakfast anyway.) Further, it was dining in a wonderful, relaxed atmosphere. At other resorts, when dinners stretch out, I will lose kids as they leave early for other resort activities. The wonderful isolation and small nature of the resort meant that from six thirty on there is really not much to do (it's pitch black out). This provided relaxed two hour dinners with the entire family every night, that bled into camping out at the table and playing card games or solving riddles. When I can get entire evenings of family activity and all the kids are happy and no one is complaining that they are 'stuck' with the family because there is nothing else to do, I call that a big win. (We left a waterproof UNO deck in the library, because everyone enjoyed the vacation so much I think the kids wanted to feel they contributed to the resort in some small way.)

The reason everyone was so happy to relax at night is because the days are so full of activities. The beach at the resort is wonderful for relaxing, but largely protected so there is no surf for boogie boarding. The resort does have stand up paddle board and kayaks to take out and explore the coast, which are very enjoyable especially in the late afternoon.

We also went on the tour of Corcovado and the snorkeling trip to Cano Island. Both of these trips are guided trips with a local guide. We had the same guide for both, and he did a great job of explaining the fauna and answering all our questions. Both trips were wonderful. We also rode the horses to Rio Claro, and did the canoe trip up the Rio Claro, which was enjoyable despite (and even more memorable because) we were caught in a torrential downpour on the ride back to the resort. But we went on the shoulder of the rainy season to a rain forest, so what did we expect! We arrived at the resort (which wasn't getting more than a misting) laughing and looking like we had gone snorkeling in our clothes. We also went fishing, which I left a separate review for -- a wonderful experience fishing as well.

Beyond the excursions, hiking the shore trail and finding and staying at the various beaches was also incredible enjoyable. While the beach at the resort is wonderful, there are other beaches that are better for waves or have better sunset views. The trail is enjoyable to walk and see the wildlife.

Anyway, if anyone is still reading this rambling review, let me conclude by saying it was a wonderful vacation, a remarkable resort (I didn't even speak about the rooms --look at the pictures, they are very nice with great teak flooring and comfortable beds), with excellent staff. I would (and have) highly recommend it for couples or for families. As my wife and I discussed, I only would hesitate to send older travelers to the Copa de Arbol, unless they are very active. The boat landings and the walking in the dark at night (with a flashlight) over gravel trails, as well as the isolation of the resort, would make us apprehensive to send any grandparent with balance issues. Other than that, couples or families that are looking for a truly memorable vacation full of daytime activities and relaxing evenings should visit the Copa de Arbol!

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family