All reviews national park hot water costa rica playing cards the hotel staff a great place to stay bird watching fish remote location boat trip stayed nights roger hill ocean trips birds meals
Reviewed 10 March 2018 via mobile

Firstly, I'd like to clarify I did not stay at this accommodation, but we booked 2 tours with them (booked through our own accommodation); the guided day trip to Corcovado national park, and the snorkelling trip to Cano island and both were disappointing and we wished we'd gone elsewhere to book these trips.
Firstly the national park trip; our "guide"; Faustino, gave us barely ANY information, making this trip and expensive walk in the forest. He literally told us NOTHING about the flora and fauna, and only pointed out a few birds and occasional animal but with no information. He answered the occasional question, but his English was not the best (which he admitted himself at the beginning), and as we passed other groups we could hear how different and interesting their commentary was. For example; he pointed out at one point a hole in a tree where a spider once lived (about as interesting as it got). We spoke to 4 others on this tour and they all said the same.
We had 3 breaks, but were then rushed to eat lunch in around 15 minutes!
I went to the office to explain my concern afterwards, and they just said "no one else has complained". So after another couple did complain, they said they would speak to the guide. They then told me that he had said he did explain things, and so that was the end of their "help".
The second trip; snorkelling; although it was a very poor visibility day (which I know is beyond their control), it would have been nice to have been given the choice of whether we still wanted to go before they took our money and got us on the boat to tell us this fact, so we were left with no choice but to continue. We were made to snorkel with life jackets (rather cumbersome).
We barely saw anything due to the conditions, and when at the guide called us over to see something interesting I went; he took my hand and was pointing near the rocks, which we both then ended up getting scraped on (as he was tightly holding my arm) due to the swell. I had scrapes down my arm, and he was not concerned then or on the boat about how I was. The second (supposedly 45 minute) stop was about 15 minutes (due to the conditions) and we saw nothing.
There is plenty of choice of companies in Drake Bay to use. Do not use this one at the Rancho Corcovado Lodgel (and check if you book through your own accommodation that they do not use them either), they did not give good service. In fact, I would go as far as to say they ruined our trip to Corcovado national park, which could have been so much better (on talking to others), and were not interested in putting it right afterwards. Do not let them ruin yours!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank katem496
Reviewed 21 February 2018

We upgraded to what seemed to be one of the newer rooms higher up the hill with a few steps but worth it for great views, plenty of space, immaculate, everything worked including the air conditioning. Nice staff - allowing that we should have had more Spanish) and all very helpful. We had booked an inclusive package which was good value, the food is simple but more than adequate for such a remote location. We included a couple of trips - snorkelling and a day visit to the National Park which were both worthwhile.
This is a place to 'get away from it', peaceful and felt we could relax at the end of our tour.
While it wasn't a problem for us at all, be aware that transfer from Sierpe is by open boat and the landing can be wet and rough - fine if you plan for it! - and plenty of comment on this elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2018

The hotel staff was very helpful and we had 3 meals per day there for 3 days, and all of them were very good. There were areas for sitting and tables for playing cards near the dining area. I ended up with about 10 bug bites one day from sitting in that area.

The room itself was spacious and had a balcony, overlooking a pretty beach. (Be aware that there's no dock, and all landings there are wet landings.) I found lots of dirt and dead insects under the bed. And though people messed with the plumbing, I never had hot water during the three day stay.

Due to a late change for our plane, we had to wander to the restaurant before dawn our last day, and the 30 or so stone steps I had to walk down with my bags were not lit. I thought it was a bit dangerous.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 January 2018 via mobile

We stayed there last December. It’s a very good solution to visiting Corcovado National Park. The building is inside the forest, you can see a lot of animals and birds right inside the hotel. The room we had was wonderful, big and with a nice sight of the ocean. The hotel staff is very kind. The food is simply, but good.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2018 via mobile

Very much overpriced for what you are getting. The family is very nice and sweet but lots of stairs and even though you are right on the beach it is very OK. It is clean and lots of tours and guides ... GREAT for families and simple way of being ... Very much in nature and very quiet ... Loved it!

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends