This is a hidden gem but if you don't have a car or you're not travelling with a group, this hotel is out of the way. If you have a car or are adventurous enough to bus it to Dominical and then take a taxi (short drive about 5 minutes on a rocky road cost is about 1500 colones or $3US) you will not be disappointed by this hotel! It is clean, spacious, quiet, beautifully landscaped, staff is friendly and helpful, there's service around the pool, abundant wildlife but not a nuisance.... I could go on. The rooms are in "bungalows" scattered throughout the property - 4 rooms to a bungalow with easy (cemented) pathways connecting you to various areas around the 'resort'. I won't comment on the rooms as others have done so in detail. The restaurant has a full menu (a bit pricey -- e.g. $10 US for a burger -- but then you don't have to walk into town) and drinks. The staff is absolutely wonderful and don't worry if you don't speak Spanish because most speak proficient English. This hotel has a good mix of visitors from Canada, US, The Netherlands, Germany, Belgium, Costa Rica etc. The pool is spacious and nicely landscaped and plenty of lounge chairs to go around. Free WiFi in all parts of the resort (including the pool). There's a bar at the pool so you can order there or the staff comes around so you can order from them (not just drinks but food as well). The Macaws usually make their entry in the afternoon and you can bird watch right from the side of the pool. There is a surf school located at the hotel (The Green Iguana - ask for Bob - he had me up and surfing within the first hour -- first time ever! He's a former pro from California) and Tour Operator. There's also a Spa for massage and other services: a very professional and highly qualified massage therapist -- contact me for details if need be. The grounds are clean and well maintained. The atmosphere is very inviting. This resort makes an effort to recycle and have labelled bins around the resort, especially to sort glass containers. It is situated along the Baru river and you can take a leisurely walk along the road to a beautiful little waterfall or head down into the river at low tide (b/c high tide you can't look for crocodiles). All in all, I found this hotel very relaxing and a great place to stay and explore the Dominical, Uvita and Ballena area in the Oso peninsula in Costa Rica. Pura Vida!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dominical ***Eco-Hotel Resort near Uvita & Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica Relax in true nature while enjoying a wide range of amenities! Villas Rio Mar is an internationally recognized 3 Star Eco hotel located in a stunning natural setting; an easy 10 minute walk from the fun and the beach of Dominical. Whether traveling as a couple or with family, Villas Rio Mar offers a wide range of amenities guaranteed to make your holiday worry-free and enjoyable. Our hotel includes 52 rooms and can also host medium-sized groups. Our spacious tropical gardens provide privacy and include many beautiful plants, flowers, and birds, which one can observe from outdoor patio areas located in front of the rooms. One of the best restaurants in the area, El Rancho, is located at Villas Rio Mar. The area offers a wide array of leisure and adventure activities including beautiful beaches, four National Parks, and many other nature & wildlife reserves. A wide range of amenities: spacious tropical gardens, jungle trails, large swimming pool with pool bar, quality restaurant & bar (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, drinks), international sports programming, room service, billiard table, darts, foosball, kids’ play area, mini golf, outside gym, tennis court, tour & transport services, massage, nail studio, and other body treatments. 4 room types to choose from: 48 of the 52 rooms have an outdoor patio area with garden views, rooms with AC & TV available, family-sized rooms available (limited), rooms with kitchenette available, mini-fridge and ceiling fans in every room Great price for an excellent service: professional staff, free wi-fi throughout the hotel, complimentary parking, free rental car drop-off (airport & Villas Rio Mar), group discounts available, seasonal discounts; May>Dec. 15th, book now & pay later! Beautiful, easily accessible, with lots to do: - Stunning natural beauty, gorgeous beaches, and nearby tropical jungle teeming with exotic wildlife - Many beaches, national parks, and adventure tours - Easily accessible from SJO International Airport via newly paved roads (<3 hours) - 10 min. walk to Dominical - 15 min. walk to the beach - Relaxing natural setting - Private and secure Meetings & Events: conference room & event planning services for businesses, weddings & private events ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia APAC, Booking.com, HostelWorld and lastminute.com.au so you can book your Villas Rio Mar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villas Rio Mar Hotel Dominical
- Hotel Rio Mar
- Rio Mar Hotel
- Villas Rio Mar Costa Rica/Dominical