“Excellent but somewhat pricey”
Review of The Dhaba

The Dhaba
Reserve with OpenTable
The Dhaba is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 869 Restaurants in Tempe
Price range: USD 10 - USD 30
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: The embodiment of food in the spirit of the nation is an integral part of its identity. Our Dhaba is the embodiment of Punjabi food and Punjab - a state that has been the envy of the nation (India). In India and Pakistan, highways are dotted with local restaurants popularly known as 'Dhabas', providing local cuisine and serving as stops for truck drivers. Dhabas are traditionally characterized by casual seating on cots (called chaarpai in Hindi) and food prepared in clay ovens (tandoor). Over time Dhabas have come to define a culture, centered on food. Real Punjabi has been influenced by the diverse culinary cultures of Persia, Afghanistan and Central Asia. Punjab provided a conduit to caravans from Bukhara, Kabul & Kashmir. The wonderful frontier foods intertwined with the rich stream of Hindu, Sikh, Pathan, Muslim and Kashmiri migrants enriched the Punjabi cuisine. Our Dhaba food is non monolithic. It's simple. It's rich. It's robust. It's diverse. Please join our chefs and staff to explore real food prepared by real people.
Reviewed 26 July 2018

The food was top quality, even for Indian food, which is usually good. The lamb was particularly excellent, well cooked and spiced. The portions were large enough for us to take another meal home for the next day. The garlic naan was special also. The staff was friendly and helpful.

Reviewed 24 July 2018

I have been coming here for years and have always enjoyed their lunch menu. Granted, when the wife of the owner is not around in the restaurant, then the service can sometimes be slow and inefficient, but I have so far excused it. Unfortunately, today was completely unacceptable. Only two tables were taken, matched by two employees who between them were receiving patrons, serving food and taking orders. It still took more than ten minutes to get our orders in and endless time to get our food. The main server was so slow and dopey that we had to tell him everything (we are ready to order, could we have some refill for our waters please, we are ready to pay). Of course, in the end, he entirely forgot that usually a desert comes with the lunch. My companion also noticed and got equally annoyed. If this is not addressed, then it will hurt this otherwise splendid place.

Reviewed 17 July 2018 via mobile

In the mood for some curry and this is the place for it. You can taste the freshness of the spices. I had the lamb curry and the meat was fall apart tender. And they make it to your level of how much heat you want. Fantastic meal....

Reviewed 5 July 2018

Our umpteenth visit over last 10 years. Unmatched quality and focus on humility, service and bending over backwards to please.

Reviewed 30 May 2018

By far best Indian (Punjab) cuisine my wife and I have encountered in the Valley of the Sun! Taking advantage of Restaurant Week, we were able to thoroughly enjoy a both esthetic and flavorful, if not flamboyant trip to India within The Dhaba’s culinary and décor environment! The moment you arrive, you are struck by their museum-like front displaying glass encased ornaments, clothing and more such as kurtis with Phulkari – and exhibited are Indian Auto Rickshaws showing both incredible intricate hand-made design and real wear! And, the as you enter the front door, you set foot into a very traditional and very authentic environment seeming to take you back in time to Raj also known as the British India period! Keep in mind this area of the world dates its heritage and cuisine to the Indus Valley Civilization (dating as far back as 1900 BCE). This Northern Indian Cuisine which boasts Pakistani influences (Pakistan borders Punjab) drives its influence in their incredible foods. Both my wife and I enjoyed everything we tried, quite a bit. The prices are very reasonable, considering the hefty portions they dish (which in many instances will require boxes for take-home!), and the quality and adherence to authenticity The Dhaba offers. Regarding the food, starting with my wife’s white wine and I a large bottle of Taj Mahal Beer, we then took the opportunity to try starting with their: Samosa Plate (very refreshing and unique salad), freshly baked Naan Bread; my wife had the Cashmiri Chicken Tikka Masala (chicken breast marinated in traditional spices and yogurt and prepared in a Tandoori) while I had the exquisite and tender rendition of the Lamb Curry (lamb cubes with Dhaba spices) we finished off with deserts of Badami Kheer and wonderful Indian Rice Pudding, and I had the Gulab Gamun (spongy milky balls in rose syrup! As I mentioned, by far the best we’ve had in the area. Highly recommended to Aficionádos and newbies to Punjab alike! Great atmosphere, attention, service, price and quality... a very enjoyable experience - we'll be back! Bon appétit from Gástro Ecléctico. आप को आप के भोजन का आनंद (‘you will enjoy your meal).

Raveen D, Owner at The Dhaba, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2018

GastroEclectico, thank you for taking the time to leave a review and rating. I am pleased that you enjoyed your experience at The Dhaba. I am happy that you and your wife enjoyed your drinks and delicious food! I look forward to seeing the both of you again soon. Have a wonderful day. Best, Raveen (Owner)