“Curry yum!”
Review of The Dhaba

The Dhaba
Reserve with OpenTable
The Dhaba is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 870 Restaurants in Tempe
Price range: USD 10 - USD 30
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: The embodiment of food in the spirit of the nation is an integral part of its identity. Our Dhaba is the embodiment of Punjabi food and Punjab - a state that has been the envy of the nation (India). In India and Pakistan, highways are dotted with local restaurants popularly known as 'Dhabas', providing local cuisine and serving as stops for truck drivers. Dhabas are traditionally characterized by casual seating on cots (called chaarpai in Hindi) and food prepared in clay ovens (tandoor). Over time Dhabas have come to define a culture, centered on food. Real Punjabi has been influenced by the diverse culinary cultures of Persia, Afghanistan and Central Asia. Punjab provided a conduit to caravans from Bukhara, Kabul & Kashmir. The wonderful frontier foods intertwined with the rich stream of Hindu, Sikh, Pathan, Muslim and Kashmiri migrants enriched the Punjabi cuisine. Our Dhaba food is non monolithic. It's simple. It's rich. It's robust. It's diverse. Please join our chefs and staff to explore real food prepared by real people.
Reviewed 17 July 2018 via mobile

In the mood for some curry and this is the place for it. You can taste the freshness of the spices. I had the lamb curry and the meat was fall apart tender. And they make it to your level of how much heat you want. Fantastic meal....

Reviewed 5 July 2018

Our umpteenth visit over last 10 years. Unmatched quality and focus on humility, service and bending over backwards to please.

Reviewed 30 May 2018

By far best Indian (Punjab) cuisine my wife and I have encountered in the Valley of the Sun! Taking advantage of Restaurant Week, we were able to thoroughly enjoy a both esthetic and flavorful, if not flamboyant trip to India within The Dhaba’s culinary and décor environment! The moment you arrive, you are struck by their museum-like front displaying glass encased ornaments, clothing and more such as kurtis with Phulkari – and exhibited are Indian Auto Rickshaws showing both incredible intricate hand-made design and real wear! And, the as you enter the front door, you set foot into a very traditional and very authentic environment seeming to take you back in time to Raj also known as the British India period! Keep in mind this area of the world dates its heritage and cuisine to the Indus Valley Civilization (dating as far back as 1900 BCE). This Northern Indian Cuisine which boasts Pakistani influences (Pakistan borders Punjab) drives its influence in their incredible foods. Both my wife and I enjoyed everything we tried, quite a bit. The prices are very reasonable, considering the hefty portions they dish (which in many instances will require boxes for take-home!), and the quality and adherence to authenticity The Dhaba offers. Regarding the food, starting with my wife’s white wine and I a large bottle of Taj Mahal Beer, we then took the opportunity to try starting with their: Samosa Plate (very refreshing and unique salad), freshly baked Naan Bread; my wife had the Cashmiri Chicken Tikka Masala (chicken breast marinated in traditional spices and yogurt and prepared in a Tandoori) while I had the exquisite and tender rendition of the Lamb Curry (lamb cubes with Dhaba spices) we finished off with deserts of Badami Kheer and wonderful Indian Rice Pudding, and I had the Gulab Gamun (spongy milky balls in rose syrup! As I mentioned, by far the best we’ve had in the area. Highly recommended to Aficionádos and newbies to Punjab alike! Great atmosphere, attention, service, price and quality... a very enjoyable experience - we'll be back! Bon appétit from Gástro Ecléctico. आप को आप के भोजन का आनंद (‘you will enjoy your meal).

Raveen D, Owner at The Dhaba, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2018

GastroEclectico, thank you for taking the time to leave a review and rating. I am pleased that you enjoyed your experience at The Dhaba. I am happy that you and your wife enjoyed your drinks and delicious food! I look forward to seeing the both of you again soon. Have a wonderful day. Best, Raveen (Owner)

Reviewed 8 May 2018 via mobile

We LOVE Indian food, and generally the spicier, the better. This place has really, really good Indian food. You can order it as spicy as you like. We started at 10 (out of 10). It was a bit too hot. Settled at 8, and it’s super

Raveen D, Owner at The Dhaba, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2018

dmmonroe, thank you for the great review and 5-star rating! We are so glad you enjoyed your experience with us and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 2 May 2018

Visited this restaurant because of all the positive reviews. Neat little place that started great with the poppadom and sauces. It was disappointing after that. Food dishes contain very little meat and lots of sauce. Sauce was very disappointing. Service was very slow and forgetful. When the bill came there were things such as a 20% gratuity and 8.3% sales tax added. Of course when the credit card statement came there was also a request for tip to be added. Could not make an Open Table reservation. I don't consider this restaurant to be what it is reported to be. Disappointed and will not return.

Raveen D, Owner at The Dhaba, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2018

Thanks for stopping by 702larrye. I am glad you gave us a try and I hope that you will reconsider and join us again in the future. Best, Raveen (Owner)