“Better Than Expected”

Sedona Summit Resort
Ranked #22 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Overall a pretty good place to stay. Kitchen was well-equipped with better-than-average appliances and equipment. The living room couch as not particularly attractive or comfortable and the "fireplace" was an electric unit which provided no heat but rather an illusion of heat. It might be worth noting that our one-bedroom unit was equipped with a queen-sized bed rather than the more common king.

Check-in was prompt and without drama even though we were slightly early. A request, submitted prior to arrival, for a view unit was not honored although it seemed like the staff did make an effort to find one.

We were happy with the location and the unit itself and would consider exchanging here again. We avoided the concierges at every opportunity and did not participate in any of the resort's activities except for a Sunday breakfast (more trouble than it was worth and so spicy that many people were not able to eat it).

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JBTucson
MichaelPena, General Manager at Sedona Summit Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2012

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience at the Sedona Summit with all of us.

It looks like you had a one bedroom sunset unit. You are correct about the one bedroom sunsets having a queen size bed in the master bedroom. That is the design for this specific room type. You are correct about our fireplaces being electrical in the Sunset section. This is the same for the Mesa location as well.

All should know that at the Sedona Summit the only rooms with queen size beds are Studios and One bedroom Sunsets. Everything else will have a king size bed in every room.

I am sorry to hear that you did not get a room with a view despite your requests. All who stay with us request them and we really wish we could accommodate everyone’s request. I get many comments that state that they made their requests four months in advance and they don’t understand why they didn’t get their view. I share with them that the word is out on the Sedona Summit and people are making their reservations earlier than usual and requesting earlier to book a view. Although requests are not guaranteed you have my word that my team looks long and hard to fulfill requests. We won’t give up. We want to make you HAPPY!

I will get with the breakfast team and mention the level of spiciness in the food. We will correct.

Thank you very much for possibly considering us for a future exchange. We thank you for your business and we look forward to your next stay with us.

There are newer reviews for Sedona Summit Resort

Reviewed 30 January 2012

We stayed at Sedona Summit last October with friends who had booked a week there. The resort is on the western outskirts of Sedona, just before you pass long stretches of strip malls and shopping centers on your way into "downtown" Sedona. Check-in was very quick, the 2-bedroom unit nicely appointed. Not fancy, but comfortable and roomy enough for the four of us. We were near the back of the complex and from our back patio we could see the hot-air balloons taking off and landing in the early hours of daylight. Our unit was away from the three pools at the resort. Friends went to the closest one early on and said it wan't heated and was fairly chilly. Weather was mostly in the mid-70s during the day, dipping into the 50's at night, so my spouse and I never went to the pools. Other than a couple of meals out, we cooked and ate in during our stay. Kitchen had pretty much everything we needed, although, as is usual at these type resorts, utensils are a bit worn. We did go to a timeshare presentation to get 50% off our Pink Jeep Tour (The most fun we've had on a vacation activity is some time). BAD experience. After 90 minutes (the time limit specified in their written materials, we said we had no intention of purchasing as the deal they offered was nothing that we couldn't already get through our Worldmark membership and RCI exchange privileges. That started a lot of increased pressure, badgering and bringing in other sales people to try to convince us that we were wrong -- that their offer was MUCH better than what we already had with WM. Every time we got up to leave, another heavy hitter would swoop to try to steer us someplace else. Finally, I decided to fight fire with fire, talked increasingly louder and demanded that we get our gift NOW as we had more than met our time obligation and had NO interest in buying into Diamond resorts. Finally, the Big Boss came over and showed us the way out to get our "free" gift -- and then to the back door. Guess they didn't want us out front. Our friends, who had finished almost an hour previously, were waiting for us and said they could hear a little commotion in the back (must have been us). LOL. I told them we were just trying to "get out alive from the shark tank." Bottom line -- Nice resort. Horrible sales staff. Word of advice -- Pay the regular price for your tours and save your time and sanity.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends

Thank you very much for your review.

It looks like you enjoyed seeing the hot air balloons early in the morning. It really is a great way to start off a day in Sedona. I see them often on my drive to work early in the morning and I am so appreciative of that spectacular view.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your unit with all the amenities that we offer. Thank you for mentioning them to us.

I will also forward this comment off to our team about your experience on the tour. This is not a typical encounter here at the Sedona Summit and we value feedback. Rest assured that our number one goal is to make you feel at home.

I am confident that your next stay with us will exceed your expectations. We thank you for your business and we look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed 27 January 2012

Lovely units with great kitchens ... Kids loved having a room nearly as plush as the master bedroom, especially the jacuzzi tub with colored lights! Great hiking right out your door. Staff very nice. Comfortable beds. Gorgeous views.

Room Tip: Asked for second floor room as I saw was advised by previous reviewers, but didn't get one. Woul...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
MichaelPena, General Manager at Sedona Summit Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2012

Thank you for your review here on Tripadvisor.com. We are glad to read that you enjoyed the room, desert and the great service. That is a wonderful combination for us to hit on with highlights of great vacation memories. That is what our goal is for all who stay with us at the Sedona Summit. Thank you for sharing your experience with all of us.

Sorry to hear that you did not get a second floor unit. This is the second highest request next to view requests. I would always recommend making your reservation in advance as furthest out as possible and make your request. We wish we could accommodate all requests. You have my word that my team looks its hardest at filling each request.

We are always here at the Sedona Summit ready to serve all.

Thank you for your stay and we look forward to your next vacation with us.

Reviewed 24 January 2012

Wonderful resort and excellent service by the staff. "Location, Location, Location" rings true for this resort as it is nestled in the magesty of the red rock mountains. Even though the temps were in the 50s, we made use of the hot tub not far from our unit. The views were spectacular, and surprisingly, it did not feel cold to get out and walk back. Ah, yes, Sedona at its finest!

Room Tip: Try to book a mesa unit as the view is spectacular!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank FranMilwaukee
MichaelPena, General Manager at Sedona Summit Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2012

We are very happy to read that you enjoyed your Mesa unit with the great view. Thank you for mentioning the tip “Try to book a mesa unit as the view is spectacular!” It really helps us get our guests a view when the right room type is booked.

We have three room types: Standard, Mesa and Sunset. On your confirmation it will state “Mesa” or “Sunset”. If it only states one bedroom or two bedroom then it is a standard. All the standard units have been renovated and are very nice!

Glad you enjoyed the hot tub despite our cool winter. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay here at the Sedona Summit.

Thank you for your business and we look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed 22 January 2012

We traded our timeshare week to stay at the Sedona Summit We found the resort and checked in no problem, January 13, 2012 (Friday the 13th, should have known). We declined the welcome packet, even as the staff member ran around the concierge desk and followed us practically out the door. I suppose that is where a guest would get the pressure to sit in on a sales presentation. We have found in our travels that the Sedona Diamond Resorts are very hard-nosed on pressing their visitors to go throgh their sales presentations.

Our room was nice, a studio with really updated GE appliances, Cuisenart coffee maker and a toaster with slots big enough to easily toast any size of bagel!

That was the end of our pleasantries with Sedona Summit. The resort has no free Wi-Fi, you have to purchase it through AT&T. The ironic part of the Internet service is that there is no AT&T phone service in building 10, P233. You can use your smartphone to browse the web as a free AT&T hotspot, but no phone service, really!?!?

We didn't try our luck with the pools. We did try the workout facility, getting to it was a workout in its own since the main pool was closed for repairs.

On our third night (Sunday, January 15) we really got a surprise! It started raining lightly as we got back from dinner. At 1:45 am I thought I heard a splatter, then our daughter sat up in bed and said, " daddy, it's raining inside!" We had a leak in the ceiling. We decided to move the kids, place a trash can to catch the rain and get as much rest as possible. We emptied the trash can twice before morning.

In the morning we decided to pack up our things, we were going to have to pack up due to the rain, and decided to head back to Phoenix. We took pictures to show the manager on duty and had hoped to get our week, or at least the remaining four nights of our vacation back.

There was no manager on duty at checkout, 8:45am Monday January 16, she was to arrive at 9:00. The front-desk staff took my number. At about 11:30am I received a call from Hope, the manager on duty. She apologized for the delay and wanted to know what my issue was. The front-desk didn't even relay the leak message. I told her our situation, that we had checked out and would like to have our week back. Her first response was to ask if I had called the front-desk at the time of the leak. I explained to her that at 1:45am it was best to let our kids get some rest and we were going to have to pack up the next morning anyway. She let me know that she had to speak to her general manager, Michael Peña, on the following day (Tuesday January 17,2012) in their managers meeting, she wasn't even going to let him know about the leak until the next day. Hope let me know she would call me back after their meeting.

It has been five days since we checked out of the Sedona Summit, spoke to Hope the manager and still haven't received any communication about our experience.

Our vacation could have been a much better one with communication and customer service! You take your chances when you stay at Sedona Summit Resort.

• Stayed: January 2012
7  Thank DFamilyVacation
MichaelPena, General Manager at Sedona Summit Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2012

We appreciate hearing your feedback about your recent stay with us here at the Sedona Summit.

First and foremost we would like to apologize for the leak that you experienced in your unit during the most recent rain storm we had. You may have read in past reviews that in April that we are having a heavy construction schedule. Part of this schedule is to replace our roofs. We are sorry that this roof could not have been replaced prior to your arrival but we are getting it done in April. In the mean time we have repaired the roof with a patch to hold it over till the new roof is installed. This was truly an unforeseen incident and we take full responsibility for this incident and apologize to you and your family.

Rest assured that the Sedona Summit is a 24 hour/ 7 days a week operation. No matter what time of the day or night you need us you can call on us. We are here to serve you no matter the reason for the call. It is not unusual to get a call around 1:45 am. I am also on call for assistance to our front desk day and night. Our front desks agents are empowered to make things right.

Also, we have made several attempts to contact you and we have not received a call back in regards to this incident. So please contact us so we can discuss the issue and resolve to your satisfaction. We will keep trying to reach you and hopefully soon we will connect. No matter what incident may occur here at the Sedona Summit we are ready to arise to the occasion. We may have to upgrade your unit, move you or make amends of some sort. We will do whatever it takes to make you happy.

The AT&T cell phone coverage area in Sedona is not the best. I use to have AT&T myself on my cell phone and waited till the contract expired and switched. AT&T told me as a customer that they don’t guarantee service to their users. I personally agree with you on the AT&T coverage and share the frustrations with all our guests. We are continuing to work on our internet issues concerning service and MIS functions.

Overall, my apologies to you and your family for your vacation experience. I will make it right and hope that you will give us another chance. I am confident that next time you stay with us we will exceed your expectations.

I thank you for your business and wish you the best on your future travels.