“Soup at night”

Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 2 September 2018 via mobile

After a long day of wine tasting and shopping in Sedona we were looking for something fairly light and quick. Excellent Thai restaurant, standard type menu. We opted for the Hot and Sour soup with an appetizer.

Very windy on the outdoor deck as the sun set! Perfect choice!

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed 27 August 2018

I tried to reach out to the restaurant first, but they left me on read. So, here we go.
I have had Thai food all over the world. I don't mind at all whether a place is a little hole-in-the-wall, and I don't demand excellent service or pampering. But, I would like the food to be good and to not be insulted to my face, and I don't really want to wait for my food for an hour.
I went for dinner after having only ever eaten at Uptown for lunch. I'd liked the atmosphere before, even though the food wasn't authentic, but it was fine.
Well, dinner was not fine.
First, we waited for a full hour, and did not get our waters refilled. The wait staff ran around sort of aimlessly, chatting with a reserved table and then dashing here and there, knocking over chairs. The waiter we had wore jeans and a T, which was interesting. By the time anyone noticed us, they just said, "Thank you for your patience!" and never said sorry. The place was decently full, but as a teen and in my early 20s, I worked in food service, so it didn't look too bad to me. I also always kept drinks going and even offered a tea or complementary side if someone was waiting that long, but I guess the establishments I worked for just had better policies and better customer service.
I ordered a pad thai, and by the time it arrived (cold) it was apparent this was not pad thai. I had ordered it at thai hot, and it was extra mild. There was no egg. No peanuts. No lime. No cilantro. The sauce tasted nothing like pad thai, and was very watery. The noodles just swam in it. But, they did add gobs and gobs of wet summer squash, which is not and has never been an ingredient in pad thai.
So, I assumed I simply received someone else's order, and the waiter rudely said it was pad thai (it didn't even look like pad thai, and tasted nothing like it). He blamed me for ordering it with tofu because he said that meant it came with, "extra vegetables." Not a word on the spice. And, when I asked about the egg, he said that sometimes the cook forgets the egg, but it's still pad thai. Well, if a cook forgets a key ingredient, I'd assume they would offer to remake it. But, nope. No such thing. Anyway, it was disgusting, the very worst pad thai I have ever had, and I didn't eat it.
We asked for a to-go box for my fiance's mediocre yellow curry and asked to pay and leave. I had to pay for the not-anything-resembling-pad-thai. Another waitress came by and argued as we left about how it was pad thai. By this point, as I am very non-confrontational, I just kept saying, "It's okay, it's okay. Please just bring the check." And she kept arguing that, "Pad thai is different everywhere."
Um... I've had it all over the world. This was not pad thai. It is not different everywhere. If recipes have no resemblance to each other then how would one ever order anything? All dishes could just be renamed: Mystery Dish!
Well, I realized when leaving that a reserved table had ordered a hypoallergenic, vegan, low-spice pad thai. I was given that woman's cold leftovers.
I've never had a worse meal, and I've eaten on road trips at any random old place. I've never seen such unprofessional service, terrible plating, slow wait times, or overall rudeness. I work in tourism and if our employees were to treat a guest in this manner, we would take action.

I don't expect Sedona to have the best, authentic Thai food in the world. But, I didn't expect the very, very worst Thai food in the world, and the worst customer service. And, frankly, if your customer doesn't like the food and isn't making a scene, you don't need to single them out and argue with that person. Just learn some basic skills for the job, please. And, also, maybe learn how to make Thai food? I've made Thai food. It's not that hard to at least make it decent. I wish I could give 0 stars. I used to love coming here for lunch and sitting on the patio in the little garden. But I will never go back again.

Date of visit: August 2018
3  Thank ivyyagger
Reviewed 25 August 2018

Easy to find in Uptown but a a bit more private than is typical here.Great food and I can recommend the curry.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed 7 August 2018

This is a nice place but it's not too big so go early if you really want to eat there. The prices are medium high but you do get alot of food. Service is good though so it's worth the time.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 2 August 2018 via mobile

We ate her by chance at near closing time, after a long drive to get to Sedona. It felt like we arrived at an oasis. The food was very good and the service was great too. You know when you get there right before they are closing, often it is a terrible time and the service and food reflect that. Not this day. They were very nice and more than accommodating. And the food was fresh and delicious. It was very welcome and we enjoyed our time. They were not even rushing us out of there. Very nice.
Recommend this place for sure.

Date of visit: July 2018

Been to Thai Palace? Share your experiences!