All reviews kokopelli room red rocks lemon bars parting gift stocked fridge poached pear bell rock recommend this b b to anyone gracious hosts village of oak creek each morning incredible views sedona area bottled water every evening the perfect place to stay hiking trails
Reviewed 17 December 2017

We stay in several B&B's each year and this is one of, if not THE, best. Our room, Javelina, had an amazing view of the Bell and Courthouse Rocks and a roomy balcony. Very quiet B&B. which is important to light sleepers like us. Convenient to everything worth doing in the area. Excellent breakfast each day. Definitely a place you want to consider when visiting Sedona.

Room Tip: Javelina, had an amazing view of the Bell and Courthouse Rocks and a roomy balcony.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 December 2017

Location. Location. Location! The Penrose is a beautiful property that is well maintained and has absolutely incredible views. The breakfast options are delicious and the owners are very sweet. Would not hesitate to come back! (If I had to pick one area of improvement, it would be the bath towels. The majority of the towels our bathroom had throughout our stay were scratchy.)

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 December 2017 via mobile

Traveling solo to Sedona for some peace and beauty, I found The Penrose B & B to be a charming and homey special place to stay! I was greeted by the owner and offered suggestions of what to do around town. My room, the Coconino had a spectacular view of the Red Rocks from every window and a lovely balcony! My accommodations were totally pristine and the bed soft and cozy. I loved the unique touches and rarely saw other guests. I felt very safe staying here as a solo traveler. I recommend staying here if you want a unique and homey stay!

Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank bellissima_93
Reviewed 7 November 2017

Thank you, Trip Advisor, for helping us discover this oasis just minutes from Sedona. My wife and I decided to take a last-minute trip to Sedona, being that we're newly transplanted Phoenicians and we had yet to visit this charming city. The reviews were outstanding (and I now see why!) and we decided a B&B would provide us with a more intimate setting than a hotel, so we grabbed the last room available (there are only 5 total) at The Penrose, trusting that the place would live up to its Trip Advisor reputation. It passed...with flying colors!

We were warmly greeted at the front door by Whitney, the proprietor, along with his wife, Christy, even though we arrived an hour before the published check-in time. Our room was ready and was just undergoing final inspection, so Christy gave us a complete tour of the property and its amenities, of which there are many, to fill the time until our room was ready to occupy.

The property is set against the towering red rock buttes of Oak Creek, just a few minutes down SR 179 from Sedona, and the french doors of our Javelina suite led out to our spacious balcony, providing us with a spectacular view of the valley stretched out before us as well as the stunning vista of the surrounding red rock buttes that the area is so famous for. Believe me when I tell you that words cannot adequately describe the view from our balcony, which extended the length of our room.The residence has been immaculately maintained, the bed was very comfortable and the double-headed shower is one of the best we have experienced.

The State of Arizona apparently prohibits a B&B from serving alcohol, so we planned ahead and brought along two of our finest bottles and savored them each night from our balcony, enjoying spectacular sunsets set against the backdrop of the amazing red rocks surrounding us. A freshly baked treat was set in the kitchen every evening at 8:30 pm, and you were free to raid the well-stocked fridge at any time for just about anything your heart desires.

The morning coffee was set out every morning by 6:30 by the delightful chef, Tom, who created these artful masterpieces every morning for breakfast, served between 8-9 am. He was a delight to meet, a very talented, creative and inspired chef, and gave us some great tips on exploring the surrounding area, such as visiting Jerome (just do it!). It turns out Tom is also an accomplished artist, author and illustrator, and we were privileged to see some of his work.

Best of all, though, was the fact that this was a quiet, clean, serene, convenient, and hospitable place to stay while exploring all that this area has to offer. We truly felt like we were guests at Whitney's and Christy's home, and we just can't say enough how pleased we were to meet them and their staff and bask in their hospitality. Oh, and thank you for the surprise gift at the end. Charming!!

Stayed: November 2017
2  Thank HoosierCruizer
Reviewed 11 October 2017

I planned a romantic weekend getaway for me and my husband last weekend and the Penrose did not disappoint. We’ve stayed in Sedona multiple times at a wide range of hotels, and this was one of my favorites. I had originally also booked another place that seemed decent and was less expensive, but as the trip got closer, I decided to “go for it” with the Penrose, feeling confident after reading all of the positive reviews.

We had no problem finding the Penrose tucked up in the red rocks and were greeted by one of the owners who gave us a lay of the land tour when we first got there. We stayed in the Javelina which has a balcony overlooking the morning breakfast patio. I loved that they are brave enough to have white linens, and smart enough to offer orange/pink towels for cleaning up red dirt after hiking. I would suggest that they add a little foot washing station outside by the entrance to help keep things even cleaner. We brought one of the pink towels with us and wiped down our shoes as best as we could each day, but a quick rinse or even some paper bags to throw shoes in would be helpful.

Our breakfast the first morning was the famous poached pear and French toast with sausage. It would be nice if they made it clear that we could request something simple like eggs and toast instead (as one guest did), but it was also nice to have an excuse to splurge. We really appreciated that they have a well-stocked fridge. It made getting out on the trails in the morning a lot quicker, and it was so nice not to have to stop on the way back for something refreshing.

The morning we left, we had a fruit smoothie, which was a little chilly in the shade, and a breakfast burrito that filled us up for the day. We did a quick hike suggested by Tom (Baldwin Loop) and made it back in time to clean up before checking out. On our way out, we got shirts, a snack (some of the leftover lemon bars that they leave out in the evening), and some suggestions for our route back to Phoneix.

I have enjoyed always staying somewhere different when visiting Sedona, but I can definitely see staying here again, especially now that I’ve seen some of the package deals available certain times of year when booking directly.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple