New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #21 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Scottsdale, Arizona
“A disappointment”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2012

Five years ago my wife and I purchased the cookbook published by Garland's and had looked forward to visiting ever since. We were finally able to get reservations this year. The cabins are rustic but quite nicely done. The grounds are lovely and there were several great places to see some of the many varieties of birds that inhabit Oak Creek Canyon. The dinners were good, but not to die for. For people who don't enjoy being placed randomly with other guests, you may also have a problem. We enjoyed our dinner companions but can imagine the pain that might have been associated with some pairings. The real disappointment was the breakfasts. The strategy seemed to be immense quantities rather than a focus on fresh and delicious. One breakfast I had was waffles that seemed to be of the frozen variety.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank BillScottsdale
GarOakCreek, Manager at Garland's Oak Creek Lodge, responded to this review, 19 September 2013
We are glad that you enjoyed the lodge ambiance during your stay and that you enjoyed your dinner companions. For those that prefer not to dine with others we offer tables for two on request. Our meals are made from scratch daily, breakfast items are often recipes passed down over the years through the Garland's family. We hope you will join us again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2012

Garland’s Oak Creek Lodge is a place to step back in time and experience life the way it used to be. The setting is gorgeous, located in Oak Creek Canyon, a few miles up from Sedona. Each cabin is rustic looking but completely adequate, and full of a charm that invites relaxation. Fresh, clean air abounds. Trees and red rock vistas catch your eye in every direction.
Stroll the grounds, and walk past blooming flowers, vines, apple trees, and vegetable gardens. Scamper down to the creek for a refreshing dip, or drive a bit to find spectacular hiking, such as the nearby West Fork Trail. Or simply settle onto your cabin’s bench and get caught up on your reading. Best of all, your cell phone and Internet devices will also get the rest they deserve (unless you feel the need to log in down at the main lodge!).
Breakfast and dinner are culinary delights, and the staff is eager to enhance your visit.
When night falls, don’t forget to spend some time outdoors to re-acquaint yourself with the stars. The lodge sky is wonderfully dark and very clear at night. If you live near a city with its associated light pollution, the starry skies of Oak Creek Canyon will amaze you.
Enjoy!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Star_Peepers
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2012

I decided Garland's lodge was the 2nd best place I've ever stayed around the world (the best in the United States), and I have stayed at some fabulous B&Bs and eco-lodges as I like to find small, unique places (the best place was a treehouse in a wilderness reserve in South Africa and that's hard to beat). At Garland's I was in cabin #1 and it was so cozy and charming with all the dark wood and high ceilings, with a cute blue and white bedspread and matching padded chair, a small desk, a little dining area for two in a bright room, and a small bathroom with shower (and a porch out front). I loved looking out the windows and seeing the flower garden, fruit trees hugging the cabin, and the lodge in the distance which has a warm glow in the evenings. And you can hear the creek and even see it by looking down out the dining room's large window. And I enjoyed walking down to the creek through a brambly trail and climbing over the rocks. I also loved strolling the lodge grounds taking pictures of the orchard and the flower gardens and the vegetable gardens with the mountains as backdrop.

It was lovely having a hearty breakfast in the lodge each morning with the sun shining in and viewing the lawn and forest with my little cabin in the distance. I am vegan, so I had to bring my own soymilk (it would be preferable if they offered dairy alternatives), but every morning I was able to eat a variety of fruits, oatmeal with raisins and brown sugar, and hashbrowns with sauteed veggies. So I felt quite satisfied. I chose not to get dinner each night because I wasn't sure how they could cater to my plant-based diet, but I think next time I'll give dinner a try because the food was really good and the staff is accommodating and nice. I recommend that with their focus on organic and wholesome meals that they ensure they have a hearty and creative vegetarian/vegan dinner option so everyone feels welcome (and plenty of other diners would probably eat those healthy eco-friendly options too). Eating dinner is another good excuse to hang around the lovely lodge. I could have hung out there for several days without leaving and felt quite cheery and relaxed. ... but since I was only in Sedona for two days (and it was my first time there), I went on a lot of nature walks during the day. The red rocks and desert vegetation of Sedona are quite different from the woodsy feeling you get in the oak creek canyon, so as a vacation it's a nice balance of green, wet, and cool in some places and red, dry and hot in others.

Two days was not long enough, and I didn't want to leave my charming little cabin. So I know that I'll be back! It was kind of like being in a Thomas Kinkade painting.

Room Tip: I liked cabin #1 because it had rocking chairs on the porch, had a good view of the lawn, flower gar...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank JustEatPlants
Camas, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

We have been coming to Garland's for 10 years. Never get tired of it. Food can't be beat. It's quiet and the cabins are very comfortable. Some hiking right from the Lodge and more rigorous is available a short drive away. It's also nice to just stay there sitting in the sun or shade and reading and watching the birds. It's so nice there we almost never go into Sedona which is very close.

Room Tip: We like the rooms on the lower level that are close to the lodge.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

Fortunately Garland's had some openings in May so we were able to book two mid-week nights. Our goal was to do absolutely nothing but sleep late, read and enjoy the scenery and the food -- and all of our goals were met.

The grounds are lovely to walk. If you are a gardening fan like me, be sure to see the vegetable garden and greenhouse.

Two points that I haven't seen mentioned here. If you are staying on premises the whole day, it's a bit of a stretch between a late breakfast (ends at 10) and when "tea" rolls around at 4. I noticed some other folks had brought coolers, which I assume included beverages and snacks. I would probably do that in the future.

"Tea" is not a meal - they put out both black and herbal tea for ice tea, and hot water and tea bags. There's sliced crusty bread and a spread such as hummus or tuna salad. And there's a "sweet" such as cookies or a coffee cake. It's all very good but not substantial (not "high tea," in other words). You don't really want a big meal at 4 because dinner, which is very substantial, is as 7. But if you haven't eaten since 10, you might be pretty hungry.

Also note that alcohol at dinner or at cocktails (at 6) is an extra charge.

None of this is a complaint - just information. We were so happy with our stay that we are already booked for next year.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple