“Oh so Overpriced and disappointing”

The Phoenician, Scottsdale
Ranked #21 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed 24 March 2012

My parents took me, my husband, my Nanna, and my brother and sister to stay here over Christmas. We had just come form the most amazing hotel in Vegas (The Wynn Encore) and were ready for our next adventure!
Just to give you a bit of perspective, the suite my parents stayed in in Vegas had a grand piano, a private spa room for in room massages, a massive bathroom with a large jacuzzi tub, a wonderful view, and living room. It was basically the size of a good penthouse apartment.
My father spent the same amount of money in each hotel.
So, you can imagine our dismay when we arrive at the Phoenician to find our rooms are rather small, dated, with tiny bathrooms! However, we were willing to accept this, after all, it was an older hotel.
but the experience here just got worse and worse. We went from missing Vegas to generally being quite annoyed. Here are some examples of the dreadful service at this hotel.
1. I ordered room service breakfast , and when they offered a bagel with my salmon I said no, I really wanted to stay away from carbs. Alas, they turn up with 4 bagels.
2. Checking in was so slow, and whereas the hotel in vegas upgraded our suites (as Amex customers), the phoenician did nothing.
The concierge at this hotel is pathetically useless. I'll make you a bet that 9 times out of ten, whatever you call up and ask about they either will not know the answer or b) Say it's not their job and will pass you off to another section of the hotel (who by coincidence, also doesn't know and can't help you).
3. My husband ordered Champagne and chocolates to be delivered to our room as a surprise when we got home form dinner. That was delivered to my parents........
4. For new years eve they were not able to book any tables for us in the hotel lobby. Not because they were full, but because they didn't want to do it. Going the extra mile for customers paying quite a lot of money is obviously not their style!
5. me and my husband would often order cigarettes from the 24 hour room service. They often never came. We later found out that room service doesn't bring cigarettes, house keeping does. So, why didn't they ever tell us this when we ordered them?
6. I would leave laundry bags with notes on clearly indicating that i would like the laundry service. They would never be picked up.
The rooms were hardly cleaned. Cleaners would come in every day but I started noticing that they never cleared glasses or plates. So I started cleaning up. That's not what you want on vacation! Come on!
I must mention that the swimming pool staff are very good. They were the highlight of our trip. They saved the same cabana for my family every day, always made sure we were happy and had everything we needed, and even laid towels down on the side of the pool in case I wanted to read. My favourite day was when they gave me a champagne cocktail in a plastic champagne flute so that I could sip it in the pool. Lovely.
Having said that, I did encounter one pool guy who informed me that they would be closing the cabanas soon as "the hotel doesn't want to pay them to work any longer". ooooh!
I did visit the spa and it's incredibly dated and small. It reminds me of an average gym locker room. And it's not that clean either.
The salon was another highlight. Well, for me anyway! My Mum and my Nanna got blow-drys that were so hilarious! I've never seen so much volume! I'm told that is the style in Arizona.
I got a mani/pedi, and facial threading from these two lovely ladies. I can't remember where they were from. Romania? They did a wonderful job, and brought me out of my denial by making me get an upper lip thread!

So, to sum up, this hotel frankly needs to be ripped down and built again. They also need to be selective in the staff they hire (no more teens with absolutely no experience). They really need to teach a different attitude there. They need more enthusiasm, and can do. All the staff appeared so jaded!

My poor parents, who had many romantic memories of this hotel in the 80's, were sorely disappointed in what it had become, and I know that they will never go again. They were so looking forward to showing us this place and now they wish they hadn't.

Room Tip: Don't go if you are used to a certain level of service.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Champagnejen
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We regret that your stay was not indicative of our AAA Five Diamond standards. The Phoenician is committed to providing a service culture that is predicated on associate training, beginning before the individual steps into his/her new role, and continuing throughout his/her career. This culture is complemented by ongoing capitalization projects that enhance the overall guest experience, ensuring that the resort remains luxurious, yet contemporary, in its offerings. Recent efforts have included the complete renovation of all suite accommodations, as well as new furnishings and indigenous artwork in the guestrooms, which begin at a spacious 600 square feet. A family activity center, three diverse restaurants, and complimentary programs, such as our self-guided audio art tour, have been introduced. Again, we are disappointed to learn of your experience, and would be happy to speak with you about it. Please feel free to contact the resort and ask for the Public Relations Director.

There are newer reviews for The Phoenician, Scottsdale

Reviewed 21 March 2012

The mutitude of billing errors everyone in our group has experienced is unacceptable from a resort of this caliber. I have been trying to get assistance since yesterday morning and have yet to get a call back from someone who cares. The resort itself is beautiful.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank TravelFeedback7

Thank you for your kind comment about our resort. However, we regret that you have experienced issues with billing and customer service. Your concerns were shared with management on March 22 for immediate follow-up. Should you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to call the resort and ask for the Public Relations Director. I would be happy to help in resolving the matter for you. We appreciate your feedback, and hope to have you as our guest once again.

Reviewed 21 March 2012

We stayed for 5 nights at the Phoenician over President's Day week. My husband had a conference at the hotel, and my 12 year old son and I tagged along. Although we arrived before check-in time, our room was ready. We were not pleased with the location of our room, so we asked for a different room. We had to wait a few hours, but they did accommodate our request for a room closer to the pool. The rooms are beautiful- spacious, clean, and comfortable and the bathroom is also quite large with two vanities. Although the hotel was quite busy during our stay, we never had an issue with dining. In fact, we did not have reservations for dinner one evening, and walked into JG Steakhouse and they immediately sat us without hesitation. The food there was delicious, as were all the breakfasts and lunches we enjoyed at the resort. We lucked out with beautiful, warm weather that week and the pool is lovely. Many of the pool staff were very helpful in getting extra umbrellas when needed. Unfortunately, my son got a sudden stomach bug one afternoon and on the way back to our room, he got sick on the carpet right outside our room door, before we had the chance to get the room key. A woman staff person immediately came over to us and told us not to worry, she would get someone to clean it up, and asked if we needed anything. A few minutes later, after we were settled in our room, we received a call from a hotel staff person asking how my son was feeling, and they offered to get a doctor. They also offered to send us some ginger ale. At that point, he was feeling better, and they did send some ginger ale. The next day we received a note in our room saying "we certainly hope your little boy is feeling better soon". So thoughtful and considerate. All in all, we had a wonderful trip, and we have been to many 5 star luxury hotels and resorts. The Phoenician is quite simply one of the best resorts we have ever visited. We will definitely return.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank simonjjb
PhoenicianManager, Front Office Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2012

Thank you for your gracious review of our resort. I am happy to know that our service and amenities helped to create a memorable experience for you and your family. While we were concerned to learn of your son’s illness, we are pleased that we could be of assistance. Our personalized service extends to each and every guest – at every age. We look forward to having you with us again!

Reviewed 18 March 2012

We stayed at the Phoenician for a week over President's Day week. It is a very nice hotel. The rooms are quite spacious and the bathrooms are very nice. The beds are extremely comfortable. We ate at JG Steakhouse one night which was also very nice. We went there as well on Thursday night during which they have happy hour specials and a jazz trio (only on Thurs.). I definitely recommend this. We have stayed several times at the Camelback; although it is a bit more casual and the rooms, while still very nice, are not as nice as the Phoenician's, I like the Camelback better because it has character. The Phoenician seems like just another large, luxurious hotel but lacks any character. I also found the service to be so-so. We had a fine stay there, nothing wrong at all; just not as authentic a stay as I have found at the Camelback.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 March 2012

The Phoenician was a beautiful property and the service was amazing. I left my key in my room after going to the fitness center (which had a very large selection of great equipment), and there was a very long line at the front desk of people waiting to check in. The executive manager noticed that I was standing in line and came to see what he could do to help me. While I was waiting for my key the staff in the lobby brought me bottled water as well. Every time I went through the property the staff asked if they could help. The grounds of the hotel are incredibly beautiful and the golf course was wonderful too.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scottsdale
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa
Sanctuary Camelback Mountain
#1 of 5 in Paradise Valley

Been to The Phoenician, Scottsdale? Share your experiences!