“Don't Waste your money”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Delivery
Neighbourhood: South Scottsdale
Reviewed 21 June 2015

First visit, went based on reviews on various sites. What a disappointment. Mediocre food, zero ambiance (like a food window in a convenience store: order @ counter and pay BEFORE food comes). Best of all was finding a COCKROACH in my cashew chicken. Won't be wasting my money on this dump again.

1  Thank Txhoodoo

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Without knowing what other restaurants reviewers like, often difficult to tell if they know what they're taking about.. Some clues that they don't begin with things like, "My husband and I were looking for..." Here you have a travelogue, not a food review,

As to Chop and Wok, it got a single star only because the food was hot and plentiful. Mushu came with baby corn, a Cantonese item, which mushi isn't. The Dan Dan noodles were covered with an indescribable mix of something that tasted nothing like it should have.

My standard for judging Chinese food has two parts: is it at least as good a Panda Express and (2) does menu or reviewer know that there is no '"Chinese" food", only regional varieties, like Cantonese, Sichuan, Hunan and Mandarin?

Most U.S. Chinese eateries have Cantonese cooks who fake the other varieties, and rarely well. Chop and Wok's cook probably came from Hardy's.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

I've ordered from China Wok a couple of times before, and was never impressed. I should have given it up! I just received a delivery order from them and essentially wasted my money. To give them credit, the food arrived more quickly than the 45-60 minute widow they indicated, and was piping hot. The Egg Foo Young however was the WORST I have ever tasted.

Now, I am not a food snob, but I have been eating Egg Foo Young since my childhood, and eaten it at many places as well as prepared at home. I've had it good, I've had it greasy, and I've had it soggy, but I've never had anything even remotely resembling what I got today.

I opened the box and based on what I beheld, thought I'd received the wrong meal. The egg foo young patties themselves, at first glance, looked like uniformly round batter fried eggplant slices. I cut, with difficulty, into one of the patties (it was tough) and the inside looked like a meat patty - nothing egg colored or even remotely yellow about it. The color was like a well done hamburger - gray. I tasted it and it certainly didn't tase like Egg Foo Young, nor did it taste good. It was like a bite of a dense veggie patty. Awful. I checked all three patties and they were the same, and inedible as far as I was concerned.

So on the chance that they had sent me the wrong order, I called the restaurant and told them I thought I had the wrong order. She verified that the right thing had been sent. I said "but this seems like a tough meat pattie of some sort. I've never seen Egg Foo Young like this." Her response was "that is how we prepare Egg Foo Young".

So, word of warning - that is how they prepare Egg Foo Young. Order something else, or just stay away completely. In my experiences with Cina Wok, you can never be quite sure what you are going to get. This was just bad enough that I HAD to write a review. I wish there were zero stars. Delivery was the only star of this act.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

OK for quick, cheap takeout. Can dine in too, but it appeared that most of their business was on 2 very busy phones for either pickup or delivery. I had a large beef chow fun and a couple eggs rolls for a little over ten bucks. Not much beef in the chow fun, little tiny pieces, but it was plentiful (i. e., lots of noodles and other stuff, like bits of broccoli and onion, etc.) and tasty, with the addition of some soy sauce. The egg rolls were fairly large and pretty good for a fast food joint, came with sweet dipping sauce.

Reviewed 6 February 2014

Seems like they use frozen breaded chicken and just slop some sweet sauce on it. The positive reviews are a mystery to me. In my opinion it is not a close call at all.

1  Thank savoyfan