“Timeshare with hotel amenities”

The Westin Kierland Villas
Ranked #4 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 30 March 2012

We stayed at the villas in a one bedroom with a full kitchen, living and dining areas. Very nice ville and great resort with two pools, one for adults only. The Westin hotel is a short five minute walk and as guests of the villas you can use the hotel pool and can charge food and drinks to your villa. There is also a golf course onsite as well. Well maintained with a very accommodating staff. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Scott_Caldwell, General Manager at The Westin Kierland Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2012

Thank you for your stay and for taking the time to share your review. I'm glad you were able to enjoy both the amenities of our property and of The Westin Kierland Resort and Spa. I would like to clarify for your fellow travelers that neither of our two pools is adults only. Our relaxation pool is meant to be a quieter experience, and I'm happy to hear you found it so.

I hope to welcome you back to Scottsdale soon.

Reviewed 30 March 2012

We traveled with another couple, and they particularly liked the privacy of the 2 bedroom lock off that we had. Our villa was lovely, the grounds were beautiful, and the service was exceptional.

Room Tip: We enjoyed our golf course view
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your recent stay. I'm glad that both you and your guests had an enjoyable stay. I will be sure and thank our team for your great comment about the service levels.

Reviewed 28 March 2012

Let me start by saying we enjoyed our stay at the villas and that we are not timeshare owners but have stayed in many timeshares in Florida and have had similar experiences. The room we had, 1 bedroom premium, was very nice and updated. The pool facilites are very nice and the staff on site is over the top when it comes to being friendly. There are a few challenges with this location that prevent me from giving it a higher rating and perhaps they are unimportant to you.

The location in scottsdale is nice, close to great shopping and restaurants but the villas location and grounds are not comparable to the Westin Kierland Resort which has an exceptional property and amazing pool and grounds. One of the selling points of the villas is access to the westin resort however getting to and from the resort is not as easy as it should be. The shuttle is a big bus that takes an indirect route, as there is no direct route. The walking paths are not direct etiher so we found ourselves on golf cart paths/parking lots etc trying to walk to the main resort. Not ideal.

The other issue we faced is with the service, while nice as i pointed out, we found ourselves making multiple requests for critical items like a crib for our daughter and this is very frustrating. I even went so far to fill out a complaint card, as suggested by the staff, that was never answered.

This part of the review is for SPG Platinum members: Do not opt for the continental breakfast option at this property unless you plan on eating eggs and bacon everyday as this will be your only option. They do not have a continental breakfast, as most westins do, where you can choose some other options like fruit and oatmeal. This site will only allow you to order bacon and eggs with no substitutions allowed.

If i were to return, I would stay at the main resort property as the family adventure pool, spa, service and restaurants are very nice at the resort.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for your recent stay and for the constructive feedback. I am happy you thought the rooms nice and updated and the staff friendly. There is a route between the properties that is on sidewalks and takes about 5 minutes to walk. I'm sorry we didn't do a better job communicating that to you.

You absolutly should never have had the service issue you experienced. I have followed up with my team to revisit our internal communication and expectations. I am available if you would like to review this further.

For Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum members, we offer an upgraded full american breakfast, but are happy to substitue an continental breakfast. I apologize we didn't execute this as it was early in the program and we hadn't anticipated that some guests wouldn't want the expanded breakfast. I hope you give us another opportunity to change your expectation of us. Please contact me and I will insure you and your family have a great stay.

Reviewed 24 March 2012

We are owners and bought here 5 years ago while at the hotel and this is our first year back. The property does not disappoint. We stayed in a 1 bedroom premium which consists of stocked kitchen, breakfast bar, 6 table dining area, living area, balcony, large bedroom with 2 closets, very large bathroom with glass shower and jacuzzi tub, double sinks. Very clean, and nice transitional decor. We used the fireplace, as it was a bit chilly at first. The washer and dryer are always handy to lesson the luggage load. They added large grilling areas in between the buildings with seating. A nice addition if you like to cook in a few days/nights.
The villas pool is wonderful with splash fountains, large chess and checker games, ping pong, pool, etc. A slide is at the large pool with a volley ball net and baskeball hoop and there is an adult pool as well with a relaxing fountain. Good food at the pool, flags to summon the staff, full bar and restaurant with help yourself yougurt machine.

The exercise facility is very nice. 5 treadmills with TV's a few bikes, elipticals, and stepper, weights and machine too.

You also have access to the hotel pools with the adventure pool being enormous with a lazy river and larger slide. It is only a 8 minute walk over or they will shuttle you. We rented a cabana there for the day for $125 which included water and chips/salsa. The book up quickly, so you have to rent prior to that day. Both pools have activities for children, such as painting pottery and a water balloon race. Some have minimal charges, but plenty to do for the little ones.

The staff was helpful and efficient. Many restaurants in walking distance at Kierland Commons (closer to the hotel side). There is a theater across the street as well, the new high end ipic theaters, quite pricey, but my son loved the premium plus seating.

A great place for families to stay.

Room Tip: Most requested buildings are #5 and #3, both have golf course views and are close to the pool.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Curly8
Scott_Caldwell, General Manager at The Westin Kierland Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2012

Thank you for your recent return and very informative review of our property. We did have a couple chilly days early last week, but the weather is beautiful now. I'm very glad you found so much to do around the hotel. It's a great time to visit! Please come back soon and feel free to contact me if I can assist in any way.

Reviewed 24 March 2012

We stayed at the Villas in early March on a 4-night promotional package. The incentives were generous, and we enjoyed our stay. All staff members we encountered were friendly and helpful, especially the concierge desk The location is convenient, within walking distance of Kierland Commons, a large and attractively arranged shopping/restaurant complex. The Westin Resort Hotel is an easy walk, too, where you have access to all of that facility's amenities in addition to those at the Villas. Be sure to take time to attend the bagpipes concert at sunset at the hotel. It was delightful. Also, the Villas are located an easy drive from Taliesin West, Frank Lloyd Wright's famous home and studio.

Our unit was the smaller one, and I would recommend that you request the premium unit if possible. There were just the two of us, and we had plenty of room in the smaller unit, but the only windows to the outside were in the bedroom, making the living room rather cave-like. There was a frosted glass window between the bathroom and the bedroom, and more frosted glass in the door between the bedroom and living room. I'm sure the intention was to let in some natural light, but it was inconvenient in the mornings when I got up early while my husband was still sleeping. If I turned on a light in either the bathroom or living room, it would shine into the bedroom and disturb my husband. The sliding doors to the covered porch were also in the bedroom, making it difficult to slip outside without making noise and shining daylight into the room. The premium unit we visited was set up with a much more convenient layout, with access to the porch from the living room, therefore providing windows for that room. The kitchen was bigger, the bathroom had double sinks, and there was a shutter to cover the frosted glass between the bedroom and bathroom. There was also a fireplace, a nice touch. Both units were nicely decorated and have a washer/dryer.

We had a lovely dinner at deseo, beautifully presented and efficiently served by wait staff that were knowledgeable and personable.

With our promotion, there was, of course, a time share presentation, but it was not a high-pressure sales job, and we were able to decline the offers. The only negative part of our experience was that we were told that it would take about an hour and a half, when it actually took two and a half to three hours. I imagine that you could get away in less time than that if you made your time constraints clear up front. You could schedule a tee time, or another activity, to establish the parameters of the presentation.

The golf course, pools, and resort grounds are beautifully landscaped and maintained. We had a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for staying with us and for your kind review. I'm especially happy you had such a good experience with our team members. I agree that the seeing the bagpiper play at sunset is something that shouldn't be missed!

I'm sorry you found some of the features of our deluxe unit to be a bit inconvenient. We don't hear that often, but the premium room sounds like a better fit for your family. I look forward to your return to Scottsdale.