All reviews miniature horses horseshoe canyon great danes wonderful hosts full size chiricahua mountains get away horseback riding highly recommend staying here history lesson high desert dark skies beautiful night wonderful stay beautiful place cooked meals national forest
Reviewed 15 March 2018

My husband and I recently stayed 5 nights at Tom and Alicia’s ranch. Everything about our stay was amazing. Tom and Alicia are very accommodating of all guests and go above and beyond to ensure all have a pleasant stay. Beautiful scenery and off the beaten path places to explore from their ranch. Horseshoe Canyon is adjacent to their property where you can hike in solitude enjoying nature and peace and quiet. This is a great place to disconnect, relax, and enjoy nature’s beauty. The night sky is incredibly dark with stars stretching down to the horizon. Ask Tom about the Zodiacal lights visible from their ranch. At the ranch we rode horses and took the ATV out to the canyon. All meals were provided and were very tasty. From the ranch we also explored the Portal AZ Cave Creek Canyon area, Pink Store in Palomas Mexico, and Rodeo, NM. There is a nice gallery, a friendly tavern, and a Chiricahua/Apache Museum In Rodeo. One other fact to share is that Tom and Alicia own miniature horses that they use for their non-profit therapy business. Wonderful to hear their stories about how wounded veterans, VA Hospitals, at risk children, and autistic children have responded to their miniature horses. Highly recommend staying at Tom and Alicia’s D. D. Gamble Guest Lodge and Ranch!

Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Alicia-Tom, Owner at D.D. Gamble Guest Lodge and Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2018

Thank you for your kind words. We enjoyed your stay also. Sorry you had to leave and return to the snow.

Reviewed 23 January 2018

I stayed with Tom and Alicia Janury 2018 for a DIY archery Coues Deer hunt in the Chiracahua mountains and couldn't have been happier. The guest house is very comfortable and the host's hospitality was second-to-none. The food was great and they couldn't have been more helpful and kind. These are salt-of-the-earth type folks. You won't be disappointed.

Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo

We enjoyed your stay and learnt a lot about bow hunting. The venison was delicious.

Reviewed 2 January 2018

After a stressful month, my husband and I were looking for a comfortable place to kick back not too far a drive from Tucson but miles away from crowds and hassles. We found just what we needed at DD Gamble. Tom and Alicia are superb hosts who made us feel like part of the family. Our room was spacious and comfortable and the views from the porch at sunset, over sundowners, were stunning. Tom is a great cook and a raconteur, and we felt so fortunate to find hosts that share our love of travel and sense of humor. We enjoyed our trip into nearby Horseshoe Canyon (me on horseback and my husband in the ATV) and had fun trying to drive small carriages pulled by the property's miniature horses without tipping over at the corner turns! We spent four nights at DD Gamble and could have spent many more exploring the region and basking in the quiet. We will definitely return.

Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Tom D, Owner at D.D. Gamble Guest Lodge and Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2018

We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us. We enjoyed your visit also! There is still a lot more to see in Horseshoe. On your next visit, we'll go into the back country.

Tom and Alicia

Reviewed 13 November 2017

We booked into D.D. Gamble Guest Lodge at the last minute with our two teenage grandchildren because they had enjoyed horseback riding in Tucson and wanted a more extended riding experience. Our time at Alicia and Tom's ranch was the highlight of our week vacation!
As my grandson said to Tom it wasn't a guest ranch but a ranch that welcomes guests. The setting nestled in the foothills was beautiful, the accommodations were comfortable and the meals delicious. My teenage granddaughter had certain food specifications that were handled with no fuss.
I have certain injuries that kept me from going horse back riding the next day but Alicia was kind enough to take me out on their ATV so I could go along side the riders and share their experience of riding into a canyon. My husband tired and we turned back but Tom continued on into the canyon with my grandchildren where they got up close and personal with some of the wildlife found in the area.
Next day some of the miniature horses Alicia has trained for their charity as therapy animals were hitched up to small chariots and the kids went out with Tom. They had a great time and a surprisingly fast ride behind the frisky miniature horses.
The ranch also served as a great base to explore the neighbouring Coronado Park. It was hard to believe we were in Southern Arizona the area was so forested with a shallow river running through. There we saw some birds but were more interested in the number of small Coues deer we saw with their young.
We highly recommend Alicia and Tom's D. D. Gamble ranch for an outdoor oriented family holiday. It's difficult with teenagers to keep them entertained but our two grandchildren were up early hoping to be in time to help feed the horses.

Date of stay: November 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
Alicia-Tom, Owner at D.D. Gamble Guest Lodge and Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2017

We enjoyed your visit immensely. Our minis got good exercise as did the big horses.
The horses enjoyed your company also and we look forward to seeing ya'll again.
Happy Holidays!
Tom and Alicia

Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

My husband and I decided rather last minute we wanted to get out of town. A friend mentioned DD Gamble so we called and made a reservation. Tom and Alicia went above and beyond. They were friendly and welcoming. We had a nice private room and a large bathroom. We went horseback riding, petted the mini horses, hiked, and star gazed. It was everything we expected and more. They were very accommodating and the food was delicious. We definitely plan on going back.

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple