“trendy, nice hotel. friendly and helpful staff make up for problem-filled stay”

Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel
Ranked #13 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 18 March 2012

I was impressed by the design and trendiness of the Renaissance. The atmosphere was lively and the hotel was nice. The rooms were big with huge bathrooms. However I had a few more than few problems that I would not expect when staying at a Marriott. If it wasn't for outstanding customer service I would have rated this stay a 2.

The following things led to a poor experience:

No hot water one morning.

Three days (of seven) my room wasn't cleaned - around 4 or 5 PM I called to inquire and they were very responsivenss to sending housekeeping, but I'm not sure why it wasn't done.

Bar service is very slow - the bartenders were nice however you often had to wait a long time for drinks/food. It wasn't really their fault, they were understaffed and it showed during busy times and happy hour.

Valet - HUGE problem. Took at least 15-20 minutes to get my car, on one occasion they 'accidently' parked me in behind a bunch of cars parked for an event and I had to wait almost 45 minutes.

The concierge lounge was subpar and needs improvement.

In saying all of this, my stay was turned around by great customer service. I called management to speak about the problems and Andrea was terrific. She listened to my concerns, apologized, and followed up so things could be improved. The experience had not met my expectations of staying at a Marriott, however Andrea restored my trust in Marriott's commitment to great customer service.

Additionally, Amanda at the front desk was so friendly and helpful. The concierage was a bit rude when I inquired about something, but I spoke with Amanda and she was able to provide a much better solution. She was cheerful and always willing to help.

Hotel staff often make or break your experience, and Amanda's great attitude and friendliness along with Andrea's handling of problems are the reasons that this stay was turned into a positive one. I would happily choose this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Marty R, Executive Response Team at Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, 21 March 2012
Hello GlobalMiz!
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our beautiful Renaissance Phoenix Downtown hotel! I am so sorry you experienced some challenges while here, and very pleased that our fantastic staff was able to assist you in ways that restored your faith in us! We are very proud of our customer service! We hope to see you back again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 17 March 2012

I have never stayed at a hotel where I was taken care of so well. We were having a rough night and the way we were treated here made everything better. Thanks again!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Adam S
Greetings Adam S!
Thanks for posting such a delightful review about the Renaissance Phoenix Downtown hotel! Our Ambassadors strive to consistently ensure our Discoverers are treated like family, and I'm very pleased you were able to experience that first hand! We look forward to your next stay!
Waltham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 March 2012

From the Aveda products in the bathroom to the cool decor in the rooms and lobby, this is a good hotel. It is nicely located next to the light rail system for easy to and from the airport. The hotel was clean, the sheets were soft and crisp white. The desk in the hotel was a perfect place to get work done. Lighting and in-room temp controls worked perfectly. No smells of any kind. The music in the lobby is upbeat and the candles throughout the lobby provide a nice mood for conversation in the bar.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank PJMCL
Hello PJMCL!
Thanks for your wonderful review of the Renaissance Phoenix Downtown hotel! We're very pleased that you enjoyed our Aveda products and the crisp fresh bed linens! Our lobby and bar area (Icon Lounge) are transformed at 5pm every day so our Discoverers can enjoy a more vibrant atmosphere. We're delighted that you experienced it first hand! We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed 14 March 2012

We traveled to Phoenix for the first time this March to visit the Grand Canyon and spring training. The Renaissance has a great location -- about 20 minutes to all the ball parks we wanted to visit. We were able to walk to numerous restaurants and businesses for breakfast and dinner. Everyone on staff was very helpful and accommodating during our trip. Marie, at the front desk, remembered who we were and was extremely helpful during our whole trip. The hotel is absolutely beautiful, and I would highly recommend others to stay there!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank JEB44
Greetings JEB44!
Thanks for your spectacular review of the Renaissance Phoenix Downtown! We couldn't be happier that you enjoyed your stay and that you're recommending us to others! We hope you visit us again soon!
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed 13 March 2012

The Renaissance Phoenix was great. Every employee was exceptionally nice and helpful. It is ideally located near Chase Field and the US Airways Center with great dining locations all within walking distance. Our stay could not have been better. I would highly recommend the Renaissance Phoenix to others.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple