“EXCELLENT NEW RESTAURANT”
Review of Gino's East

Gino's East
Ranked #350 of 3,314 Restaurants in Phoenix
Price range: USD 8 - USD 25
Description: For 50 years, the original Gino’s East has been offering the best deep dish pizza experience in Chicago. Since we opened our doors in 1966, we’ve shared millions of our signature golden-crust Chicago-style pizzas with Chicagoans, celebrities, and visitors from all over the world. And now we've come to the valley to share millions more with Phoenix. Don’t believe us? The writing is on the walls! We’re world-famous for our tradition of letting all of our customers leave their mark on our restaurant. Come by and leave some graffiti, if you can find a spot, and see if you can find it next year!
Reviewed 16 May 2017

I recall 100 years ago going to Gino's in Chicago and know what a big deal it is so I was excited to see this new addition to Phoenix dining.

The night before the officially opened we drove by and there was a line that wrapped around the building and down the sidewalk. A week later we attempted to dine there and there was a two hour wait, so we were happy to stop on a Monday afternoon for lunch.

We drove up and were surprised to see there was valet parking taking up nearly every parking spot. At lunchtime that is a little off-putting and we did see one car leave after seeing this, We were told it is because of the limit parking, which is so untrue. They have one of the larger parking lots I have seen recently. I just mention the valet because it will automatically turn people (not me) from dining. Sure the valet is free but what that means to me is, free but please tip your valet $5.... which I always do.

Once inside the restaurant we were greeted by a team of hosts (all friendly) and then we decided upon a booth in the bar. The dining room appeared to me rather smallish, the bar nice sized and there was also an outdoor patio with plenty of seating. All very nice.

Our server, I forget her name, was sweet, talkative and informative and helped us with our selection. My husband and I shared a medium thin crust pizza, I believe called a meat lovers, and our friend had the pasta dish made with zucchini (instead of traditional pasta.)

Our pizza was excellent and there wasn't a single piece left, and I noticed that the crust of the last bite was a crispy as the first. I can't recall experiencing that anywhere.
Although our friend didn't love his "pasta" dish (it was the zucchini pasta he didn't care for) he enjoys the place because he has returned for lunch four times since.

They have a nice selection of meals, besides pizza. Good beer and very friendly staff.

Beware that the deep dish pizzas take 45 minutes to bake, and they say 30 minutes for the thin crush, although I don't believe we waited that long.

We will return often.

Reviewed 14 May 2017

So glad that this world famous pizza spot is in my backyard!!! Went a few days after opening on a Saturday evening. Parking was limited but the complementary valet made the parking stress free. Was expecting a long wait but was surprised with maybe a 10 minute wait. Almost as spot on as the original Chicago location!!! They have a decent beer selection on draft and sell by the pitcher as well! Make sure you order lots of pizza so you can have left overs and enjoy them later!!!!

Reviewed 8 May 2017 via mobile

We are lovers of Chicago style pizza & Gino's has a different take by using corn meal is their crust, crumbled Italian sausage, and lots of puréed and chopped tomatoes on top. We ordered spinach as a topping and it had the appearance of basil.

Their version of Cesar salad includes bits of kale and a tarter taste loaded with cheese and dressing.

Their calamari has got to be the best I've had in a long time: lightly breaded, tender, and tasty. They serve it with a tomato based sauce and the waiter suggested trying ranch dressing which was good. However, the calamari was good by itself!

The hostess can give you markers to write your name on the wood part of the walls like you can do in Chicago. They hVe a nice patio with live music. The strip mall where they are located is small and parking is by valet unless you park across the street and brace crossing Indian School Road.

We had a great time and will add this restaurant to our rotation of Chicago style pizza eateries!

Reviewed 27 April 2017

Just got back from the new to Phoenix, Gino's East of Chicago. As good as the original Gino's in Chicago. We had the 4 meat deep dish pizza. A small filled my husband and me. The only downside is the 45 minute wait. The people at the next table had some huge chicken wings to start. We will do that next time to fill the time before the pizza arrives. Great friendly service and you get to write your name or a message on the wall.

Reviewed 27 April 2017

Gino's East leveled Hazelwoods, and put in a great, local Italian Restaurant. Deep dish and regular pizza, sandwiches, other Italian dishes. Lots of friendly wait staff, with some carry-over experienced faces from Hazelwoods. Valet parking for now. We hear it takes 45 minutes to get the deep dish. I opted for the Geno's Special Regular crust, small, and it fed 2!