“Fine For A Business Meeting” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sheraton Grand Phoenix

Sheraton Grand Phoenix
Ranked #20 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Asia
“Fine For A Business Meeting”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

Having stayed at enough business hotels in America, I would say that this ranks as a good business hotel. (Sorry Mr Percopo but TA goes from Average to Very Good; there is no Good rating. And in such a situation, it is better to be conservative and go with Average rather than Very Good.)

You have a good size room, with all the amenities for work, a coffee machine with Starbucks coffee packs, a bar fridge without the bar, an ice-bucket without the ice, and a complimentary bottle of water with compliments.

The bathroom amenities are standard in the USA--shampoo, conditioner, lotion; no comb, no toothbrush or toothpaste, no shower cap, and of course no bedroom slippers. My cupboard was small. I had to squeeze to get my few days of clothes, jacket, and pyjamas in.

For reasons I do not understand, I was given a room with a handicap toilet. You can see it in the floor plan--it's nearest the elevator and the toilet takes up some room space. The upside was that the various grab bars make convenient spots to hang laundry. The downsides were that you have to walk to your towel and your room is smaller than average.

The best part of the hotel must be the "everything under $9" lunch. The restaurant is pretty good and to have a good restaurant lunch for $9 in a hotel is a good deal It was so good I ate there most days.

Would I stay there again? From what I can gather, this is a newish (2010) hotel in the downtown area. If you teleport me from the room to another good business hotel in another city surreptitiously, I would not know. It's like any business hotel. The shower--only in America--where you cannot control the volume of the water, only the pressure, is so yesterday.

It comes down to the location and the reason you have to be there. I will likely try some place else next time.

1 Thank Panguin
leoper, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Phoenix, responded to this review, 6 June 2012
No hard feelings for the average rating. We take these reviews quite seriously and use them as learning experiences and teaching tools, so the feedback you provide is a true gift to us.

We’re glad to know that the “nothing over $9 (bucks)” lunch menu was a big hit, we are planning on offering that until the end of the year it’s been so popular!

We hope you will decide to return and stay with us again if you are in Phoenix. We’d love to have another opportunity to be of service.

LEO PERCOPO

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

Stayed at Sheraton for business conference. Guest room was spacious and smartly designed. Room was quiet, despite the fact that the hotel was sold out with conference attendees. Bed was a little firm for my taste. Walking distance to great restaurants, shops. Hotel amenities tailored to those on the go--coffeeshop in lobby, helpful front desk staff, well appointed gym.

Only drawbacks are slow internet, a real inconvenience during business travel. Also, front desk staff informed me that they could not to offer late checkout to anyone---I was refused an extra hour to prep for a presentation due to "high volume of people checking out." There were very few people checking out at noon and a colleague of mine was given late checkout. Late checkout is often seen as a luxury but in this case was a near necessity. Be cautious about taking a cab from the hotel. I was taken to the airport by someone operating as a "cab" but with executive car fares.

Despite these issues, I highly recommend the Sheraton. I would stay there again and feel (overall) they did an excellent job handling a large conference.

1 Thank avmiddleton
You mentioned that we were sold out during your stay, so sometimes a full house (although we love it!!) can sometimes translate into small glitches that can impact our guests in ways that normally would not. I do apologize for any of the inconveniences you experienced during your stay and I am delighted to hear that overall you felt that we did an excellent job at handling a large conference.

Your business and your recommendation mean a lot to us and we do not take either for granted.

We strive to provide exceptional service whether the hotel is full or not and our promise to you is to exceed your expectations during your next stay.

Thank you and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Gainesville, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2012

We arrived at this hotel which is very easy to find because of its size and color after we returned from the Grand Canyon. We also paid for the upgrade to the Club level and opted for the GO GREEN promotion assuming we would get $5 off the bill for each day we did not have the linens and the towels changed (saving water was on our minds). Check in was fast, friendly and professionally done. Very impressive. Our room is spacious and has pretty much all the amenities including a safe and a small refrigerator except a shoe polish/ brush and a second bathrobe. The bathroom is nice with all the toiletries including a lathering brush.
But we were annoyed when we discovered that the “Go Green” promotion of $5 off the daily rate involves not a discount but a coupon for $5 that can only be used in the DISTRICT (lobby bar), Park Lobby lounge and in-room dining. In addition, unlike our assumption that the Go Green would involve house keeping not changing the linens but making the beds anyway etc. was wrong. Not only did they not make the beds, there was no trash pickup, or replacement of the coffee setups or replenishing the water bottles. We cancelled the Go Green “promotion” yesterday afternoon. Today housekeeping did its job well.
When we went to the Club Lounge the first evening for cocktails we were informed by our friendly server that due to Arizona laws we have to pay for our alcoholic drinks. When asked how much for a glass of wine she said it would be $12 per glass. This is also stated on the price list on each table. This is incredible as the room service price for a glass of wine is only $9. Go figure!! (Luckily we came prepared as our bottle of wine was already getting chilled in our room refrigerator.) So much for the value of the upgrade even though the breakfast has been satisfactory. Not excellent but has much of the ingredients for a healthy breakfast.
Bottom line: great stay but quirky.
I guess Arizona legislature has run out of bizarre ideas to turn into incredulous laws.

1 Thank tatliturk
I am sorry that there was a misunderstanding about the details of the “Make a Green Choice” program upon check-in. Our Front Desk agents are thoroughly versed with the program, having offered it for over a year now, and usually explain it to a guest’s satisfaction. The program works quite well for us and allows us to keep one of our favorite efforts – sustainability – in the forefront of everyone’s mind.

I wish I could explain state laws to you as well as I could the MAGC program, but I think that might be futile. 

In any case, thank you for taking the time to write a review. We hope the next time you find yourself in our city; you’ll return and let us take care of you again.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a conference at the convention center and was initially quite pleased. Modern lobby, attentive and friendly staff, close proximity to the convention center. When I got to my room it was comfortable but quite small and very stuffed with furniture. There was no extra space, so one person could not sit at the desk and another person walk past them, you had to climb over the bed. I then went to the pool and was truly disappointed. The pool area is a thin narrow concrete area about three floors above the ground and the pool is a narrow "lap pool"; but not really. There are water jets shooting from the opposite wall into the pool every 10 feet ( I'm sure they looked nice in the design concept drawings), but in reality they are annoying when you are trying to relax in the pool. Your sunglasses are constantly getting sprayed with water. It is the worst pool area I have ever seen in a climate that invites and requires a nice, spacious pool. The hotel is huge and can accommodate a lot of guests, but the pool area is tiny as well as the deck area to catch some sun. The final complaint is that when I was trying to checkout at a little before 6 am there was no one in the front desk area. I stood in this large spacious lobbying yelling " Hellooo is anyone here? Hellloooo?" for a good five minutes before a clerk showed up. This is a very nice hotel with a few very bad drawbacks that would make me say stay away from this hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room on the north side
5 Thank LIV2FLY
Thank you for allowing me to have an opportunity to talk about our 4th floor pool area. Since we are located in the heart of downtown, real estate is at a premium and, as such, we placed the pool on the 4th floor, along with the adjoining Breeze Bar and our outdoor herb garden, to provide an intimate setting for our guests. So many of our evenings are balmy and lovely, and our guests usually truly enjoy their outdoor experience and watching a sunset from the deck.

The pool jets, as you guessed correctly, were part of an architectural feature and aesthetic design. I can assure you that we have placed these on a timer to regulate the shooting water, although in your case, the timing was not right! Our apologies.

I hope these answers are helpful to you. Thank you for taking the time to ask them.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

I attended a business conference in this hotel, and decided it would be convenient to stay in the same hotel where the conference was being held. As it turns out, this would be one of many reasons why I was glad that I stayed here.

I arrived early, at 10am -- way before the 3pm check-in time. I was just going to sit in the lobby and get some work done, but decided to check with reception regarding what time I would be able to check in. As it turns out, they had my room ready, and I was able to get checked in at 10am. No additional charge. WOW!!

The rooms are nice, and fresh. The decor is mildly contemporary. The view from the room toward the north was very nice. The bed was comfy. And the food in this hotel is really quite good.

Then there's the fitness center. It's huge. Very nice, good equipment, almost anything you might need. LOTS of cardio equipment. Well lit, clean, and well-maintained. Lots of glass to the south along an entire wall in the fitness room. And it overlooks a lap pool. A little bar near the pool has little misting nozzles above the stools, to keep you cool from the hot, intense sun. Great idea.

Just about the only thing that I found to be slightly irritating are the elevators. This is a tall building, and the elevators move fast. On one trip down, I had to endure 8 or 9 stops along the way. The elevator is pretty herky-jerky, and I got off with a strong case of vertigo. Here's how you can prevent it: There are two sets of elevators. One set services the top set of floors, and the other set services the bottom set of floors. What I discovered was that my room was only one floor below the set of rooms serviced by the upper elevators. So after my vertigo experience, I would walk up/down one flight of stairs to the elevator that services the upper floors, so it was a non-stop ride. That ended up working quite well.

They have a smart green hotel program that rewards you $5 per day that you don't require housekeeping to enter your room. This is a very smart idea that I wish more hotels would implement.

The entire staff at this hotel is very friendly. The service is excellent. The hotel is fresh, clean, and nicely designed with great views. Excellent location near many restaurants and the Diamondbacks stadium. What else could you ask for in downtown Phoenix?

Would definitely stay here again.

2 Thank eilig
Delighted to hear about your stay and that you would stay here again based on that experience.

The fact that you were able to experience so many of the special features of our hotel, like Sheraton Fitness powered by Core performance for instance. We feel it is so important to give our business travelers control in their lives while on the road, to keep to their daily fitness regime.

I especially liked hearing that the staff here made you feel welcome and cared for during your stay.

I think it’s great that you outsmarted the elevators! Clever.