All reviews oasis water park golf course rustlers roost spring break company meeting great staycation south mountain beautiful property stay cation pull out couch hot tub fitness center business conference family vacation pool side beds were comfortable the room was nice
Reviewed 4 April 2018

Chose this resort for the waterpark and hot weather for Spring break with one adult, 11yo, 6 yo.
Pros- Rooms are spacious with a small living room and pull out couch (not comfortable at all as most pull outs are). Small fridge and Keurig for hot water and coffee. I was able to bring all our breakfast foods and make in the room. I bring instant oatmeal, hardboiled eggs and fruit. Room service brought us a cup of half and half for the coffee and oatmeal when I asked. This saved us $50 a day in food. Also made PB&Js for lunch. You can order out for pizza if you don't want to pay for food at the resort. If you have a car there are tons of great restaurants within 4 mile radius. There is a Fry's grocery store across the street and walkable. Parking is free and abundant. Nice Gym and I took one Yoga class that was included in the resort price.
The waterpark had a fun lazy river with plenty of tubes. There would be plenty of lounge chairs if people wouldn't put there stuff on them and then never sit on them. I hate that. Night movies for the kids was fun for a night. Activities for the little ones around lunch time but that may only be over spring break. The waterslides are intense and not for the light hearted. You have to be 48 inches tall so my little one couldn't go on them and there were no other slide options. There are 4 other pools on the resort and those open early and don't care about bringing in your own food and beverage. We spent about half our time in the water park and half in the individual pools, trying out a different one each day. Bring your own water bottles!! There is good water to fill up with at some of the building pools. Not all have them so you might have to hunt for them. Phoenix water tastes disgusting!
Cons- Phoenix water tastes disgusting! Restaurants in walking distance are either bad or expensive. Not a problem if you have a car. It's a pretty pricy resort and they charge a $50 a day per resort fee on top of the room fee and don't forget the $6.25 tax per day on that resort fee. So really its $56.25 a day. We don't play golf but it may be worth it if golf is your thing. Some of the Gym classes cost money which to me is ridiculous - isn't that what the resort fee is supposed to cover?? Our room was in good condition and was quiet other than the noise from the city which was crazy loud and unusual. I think normally it is quiet. Our pillows were crazy big and uncomfortable but we requested different ones and we got some good ones. The beds are ok comfortable but not fantastic. My biggest complaint, and may be true of the whole industry, is the waste. They don't incentivise bringing and filling your own beverage containers. They don't encourage holding onto your towel until it's truly dirty. They don't recycle as far as I could tell. Housekeeping replaced our towels every day even though we had them hung up. Other hotels ask you to conserve water and put towels on the floor if you want them replaced. There are many things this resort could do to be more energy and waste conscious and would save them money at the same time.

3  Thank climbandboard
Paul G, General Manager at Arizona Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2018

climbandboard, I sincerely appreciate your detailed review and will share your notes so we may improve for future guests. I want to personally assure you the Arizona Grand is committed to environmental responsibility and sustainability guided by our partnership with the Arizona Hotel and Lodging Association Green Certification. A few ways we reduce our environmental impact is by purchasing environmentally responsible and recycled materials, purchasing organic and sustainable local foods, and developing partnerships with suppliers that continue to demonstrate a commitment to environmental responsibility. I am thankful for your feedback, and I hope I have an opportunity to welcome you back to our resort!

Reviewed 4 April 2018

The resort is quite nice and very large. The people working at the resort were very nice.

We are a family of four, with two young kids. They were excited for the water park. It was a beautiful sunny day when we arrived last Friday, 3/30. Grandma and Grandpa drove us up from Tucson... we figured we might spend some time at the water park before saying goodbye and enjoy the day together as a family. I paid the extra $80 to allow them to join us at the waterpark. What a disaster!

The place was an insanely overcrowded mess! There were tons of chairs laid all around - but every single one of them had a towel on them indicating they were being used. (I am not exaggerating - every single chair.... including every chair at every table in the bar/restaurant. I walked the entire water park twice looking for a single chair!) I found a strip of grass and wanted to at least leave our stuff to enjoy the pool - but another guest came and said it was his daughters spot and someone must have just moved the towel. How crazy!

Don't get me wrong - it was a very nice day and we expected the water park to be popular.... but to not find even a place to set down some towels and our beach bag was a complete disappointment for all. I secured one chair at the over crowded bar and quickly spent a ton of money to try and calm everyone's nerves. Even that turned nasty as it proved tough for the six of us to be anywhere near the one chair with all the crowding.

Grandma and Grandpa got fed up and just left. The kids cried. We had to leave.

The entire reason we stayed at this resort was for the "resort" and the water park. We had only one day to enjoy it - and it was an absolute bad ending to our week long trip in Arizona.

When I would mention to any staff member our situation - they were all very sympathetic - but also there was no recourse.

At checkout - at least - we were able to get the credit for the two grandparents extra charge to visit the water park removed. But, the fact that our stay was ruined really hurts and was very disappointing.

In my opinion - the whole thing could be changed with better management of the water park grounds and creating large crowd management procedures.... but that simply did not exist.

So, my advice, is to not visit this resort if the weather is nice and you want to enjoy what otherwise is a very nice resort! But then again - if the weather is not nice why would you visit?

Sorry to be negative.... I don't even mind the incredible prices (2 drinks, $25) I am one of those guests that pays when in Rome... and I can afford it. But this whole experience impacted the very fiber of our trip and has left a dark stain on our impression of this otherwise very nice resort.

Management: PLEASE READ and ACT so this does not happen to another family!

Room tip: pay for a deluxe suite or a villa - and expect to get one when you arrive.
2  Thank stephanolsson

I sincerely apologize you were unable to find a seat at our water park. Spring Break is our most popular travel season, and the park can be quite popular during that time. I understand your disappointment and regret the significant impact this had on your stay. I appreciate you sharing your experience, so we can improve for future guests. I hope you can give us a second chance for another visit.

Reviewed 3 April 2018

In general, the hotel is nice.
Pros: The hotel room was beautiful. Had everything you would expect in a resort room. Bell men were very helpful and polite. The water park has the potential to be great. My kids enjoyed it. The margaritas, even though overpriced, were amazing.

Cons: 1. The front desk receptionist who checked us in was really rude. She was in a big rush to check us in and looked annoyed at any questions we asked her. It was our first time staying at the resort and didn't have a clue where anything was.
2. The water park staff were very unprofessional. While in the lazy river, two of the life guards were talking about how they never eat at the resort in fear of food poisoning. After we had margaritas from there, we were a little nervous they knew something that was happening in the kitchen that we didn't. Also on the "big" waterslide, swimming tops were falling off and there was someone there taking video with their phone. A lot of the girls whose tops were falling off were underage. When I alerted a lifeguard he kind of looked at me like I was crazy and ignored me. We left shortly after that.
3. The room itself was clean and nice, but the balcony was dirty. There was a beer cans and cigarette ashes and butts. We were told it was a non smoking resort and my toddler daughter has asthma which is acts up quit a bit more around cigarettes. When I called the front desk they apologized and said they would send someone to clean it up but they were quite busy. No one ever showed. I ended up having to clean it. We paid $470 a night to end up cleaning up after someone's mess.

Would I ever stay again? No. To pay for a 4 star resort to be treated like a 2 star guest is unacceptable in my opinion.

6  Thank Brianna R

I am disappointed you did not enjoy your stay overall. I apologize for the staff behavior at reception and our Oasis Water Park. I also want to personally assure you we exceed all health inspection requirements and take food poisoning claims very seriously. I am disheartened at our lack of response to your request to have your guest room balcony cleaned. I am glad, however, you liked our recently remodeled suites, water park, and bell service. I apologize for the disruptions you have noted, and appreciate you bringing them to my attention so we may correct course. I hope you reconsider us for a future visit!

Reviewed 3 April 2018

The hotel is lovely however the size of the on resort restaurant is too small for the amount of people that can stay there. We waited over a half an hour to be seated for dinner after 8pm while half of the restaurant was empty. In the morning, no where to quickly get a bite to eat on property. Also ease of playing on site games (i.e ping pong) was an issue. Had to go to the front desk for the ping pong paddles and hope no one else took the table in the meantime. If you wanted to play bananagrams, cornhole or other games inside the Oasis waterpark, there was a $20 per hour fee. Seems very unreasonable. Book directly through the hotel in order to get in to the water park earlier-allows you to get a seat which is impossible as the day goes on.

Room tip: Camelback is closest to the OASIS waterpark.
2  Thank Lynnette M
Paul G, General Manager at Arizona Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

Lynnette M., I appreciate your constructive review, and I apologize for the wait times you experienced. Spring break is one of our busier seasons, and our restaurants and Oasis Water Park can become quite popular. I appreciate your time to share your visit on TripAdvisor. I do hope I have an opportunity to welcome you back to our resort.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

Pros:
-Landscape/grounds were beautiful!
-Customer service people were FANTASTIC! Namely, Gabby at check in and Luz, a manager.
-Gym was well stocked.
-Starbucks on site
-Water park was fun for kids, nice lazy river
-Feels luxurious altogether
-We had two deluxe suites and a Villa. All were fairly clean (after initial incident detailed below) and felt updated. Much nicer than our recent Waldorf Astoria room even!

Cons:
-Check in took OVER 4 hours after a 20 min wait in line!
-One of our rooms was DIRTY--pee on toilet seat, kids cup under table and DIRTY LACY UNDERWEAR under bed area!!
-We booked two deluxe suites and were not initially placed in those. Had to wait until the next night :(
-The line to get into waterpark is RIDICULOUS! Once you're in, you legit have to run to find a good seat if you want to be able to watch young children!
-The gold wrist bands get in first....I managed to get them despite not booking directly. Thanks to an employee who had great customer service!
-No outside food :(
-overpriced Massage that didn't last the full 50min, and was subpar. I get massages regularly and this was NOT worth 155! I tried contacting someone but never heard back. That was a waste of money...

Overall, the employees at the hotel MADE the stay great! Luz and Gabby were on point. They know what good customer service is. Also, our room service employees were great as well. They managed to get me some cooking supplies and didn't charge me for them--which was a nice sentiment :). I did get a $60 voucher from Luz, and some breakfast vouchers that helped the sting from a lot of disappointment. This hotel/resort needs to figure out a way to make their guests not feel like jam packed sardines in their water park. Not sure how, but it was ridiculous. If you go, maybe call ahead and ask when a slow time is? Too much waiting. TOO MUCH!

Room tip: Ask for deluxe room on back of camelback or Sedona! Or Villas overlooking water park!
  • Trip type: Travelled with family

I sincerely apologize for your check-in experience and the condition of your guest suite. I am embarrassed by the poor first impression we have left on you and regret the disruptions you have noted throughout your visit. I am glad, however, that our associate service had such a positive impact on your stay. Luz and Gabby are stunning examples of our dedication to guest service, and I will be sure to congratulate them on their mention. I appreciate your review, and I hope I have a chance to welcome you back to our resort.