New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #8 of 31 Hotels in Apia
Te Kaha, New Zealand
“Just superb”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

Hats off to Lydia & Joseph. We arrived very tired after a busy summer at our own tourist lodge and were seeking a quiet do nothing week and thats exactly what we got. Lovely people and more than adequate nutrition served up with huge smiles. Love to come back sometime.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Rex C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

I just read in length what Steven (review below) wrote!! And he is so right.We met at the resort than and there...and after a week everybody knew everbody,,if you wanted this to happen.But you also have stayed very private, or in the middle like us, family with 2children. We just loved it as much as our fellow guest at Litia Sini. And I think I don't have to add anything more, the review below says everything!! and includes more than enough details to make sure, yes, you do want to support this area of Samoa, and Ldyia and Josef with their team.
I miss the pace of the Island now. When you arrive, just let go the haste and stress from where ever you come from. Enjoy, sit back and snorkel for your life...it was amazing, Thanks to Molo and crew in the kitchen and restaurant. Thanks to Lydia and Josef. We will saving up to return.

Room Tip: front fales if you have kids, the back ones are a little smaller.
1 Thank franziska274
Rochdale, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

Just got back from Litia Sini which thoroughly deserves its accolades delivered by other folk. Many thanks to Lydia and Joseph, the wicked Molo and Madalena (!), Truli, Cauda, and of course Joe and Kuka, as well as all the other folk whose names I never gathered - sorry. This is a place you go to and think you only deserve an afternoon! By the end of 6 days you don't want to leave. Especial thanks too to Lolo, the enormous no. 3 (rugby position!), who spent the best part of an hour giving me pain in the approved Samoan rugby massage method (kneading, pulling, pushing etc. and encouraging me to roll my foot repeatedly over a beer bottle)! It was hard to believe at the time that this would make me better, but it did! I could walk the next day. Joe told me he had gone through the same process when he twisted his ankle in a rugby match. So many thanks to Lolo: I never saw him before I left to say thanks.
I am sure all my fellow-guests wish all the best to the poor lad who burnt his arm fire-twirling at the conclusion of the friday night fiafia, and do hope he gets fuly well soon. I asked Lydia how often this happened:'never before!' she said.with chagrin,
The next day happy news as Lalomanu won their crucial match in the Samoan rugby tournament and arrived back in a cavalcade of vehicles loudly hooting their triumph. This with Joe (no,.7) and Kuka (no. 8) having been up to 4.30am that morning taking the injured boy to hospital in Apia.
Litia Sini is the most easterly and about the 5th (and poshest) of a series of fales along the beach at Lalomanu. Immediately next door is Taufua beach fales - judge the reports for yourself. Their fales are more basic, have mattresses on the floor rather than beds, but I do not know if they have the power points, mosquito nets, fans and outdoor lights that Litia Sini's do. As everybody else says, go for the ones on the front at Litia Sini if you can afford it. A great additional little service that is provided is a bowl of water every day at the foot of your stairs for you to wash the sand off with. This along with brushing with them, and the provision of a brush in your accomodation, means you have a good chance of keeping your room (and thus your bed!) sand-free. I wish I had read the advice about tucking your mosquito net in before going off to dinner before I went! It CAN be hot and sticky between returning from dinner to about 3 am, but I slept well despite this, long and many hours. As someone who unfortunately has to get up a couple of times in the night to go to the loo, it was no great hassle to go to the loos in service blocks behind the fales - as they say, western style toilets and showers, never crowded, and better than I thought they would be. If you're worried about the temperature of the water, you're in the wrong place. Oh and there are mats and more bowls of water for these blocks too.
I wish too that I could have brought a travelkettle to make cups of tea. I used a plug-in anti-mosquito 'thingy' too,but noticed no great difference between the days it worked and those it didn't! In all honesty, insects were no great hassle anyway though it was the end of the wet season: they were only really noticeable when it hosed down as it did every now and again.
The weather varied quite a lot but was not sufficient to impact the holiday, as you can do other stuff when it rains, and it usually vanishes as soon as it turns up. You don't really need to worry about the weather forecast as I did beforehand.
I went with the rest of the 'Turtle Group' (hi guys! Rex, Joyce, Corinne, Ryan, Svenya) to Namua Island in search of the elusive green turtles that Aussie Pete found every time he turned round! Our conclusion is that the time to go is high tide - that's when turtles are most likely to be found - and of course we went at the wrong time. Still, it is a lovely beach on the island and coral seemed less damaged than at Litia Sini (protected by the island) though snorkelling was difficult in the shallow water we had: apparently the best medicine for scratches to avoid infection is salt water! We had an excellent value meal there - including coconut drink - for only 10 tala. Book this through Lydia before you go. If you want beer, you've got to take it yourself. However, my recommendation is NOT to take the 'path' behind the fales up the hill. It's more a hands-and-feet scramble than a climb, leaves you dripping with sweat and the view of Pagopago (American Samoa) is scarcely worth the effort. It costs WST 30 per person for the trip across to Namua in a small boat with an outboard over shallow water and extra for the lunch. Still, this is a trip you can do without needing to find a group to go with to make it economic.
To Sua is 15 tala to enter, with a nice lady at the booth. It is primarily about the hole itself (though again conditions alter between low and high tide: the 2 ladies in our group both hurt their feet jumping in off the platform as once more it was low tide: see above). It is set in lovely gardens and there is also a blowhole by lavafields where there is a great view - loads of photos. transport there (taxi or bus) is 40 tala each way, which means you need to need a party of about 4 at least to bring the cost down to reasothe pnable proportions. If only one trip, definitely do this one.
There is a shop in Lalomanu run by a lady who unfortunately seemed to be the one exception to the super-friendliness rule in the place:maybe I caught her on a bad day but no big deal - it's not like your average British shopkeeper (I speak as a Pom!) - or perhaps she is still grieving for lost relatives. I asked one chap if he had lost anyone in the 2009 tsunami: 13 relatives. It must be terribly hard for the people there - perpetual reminders of the catastrophe, a wave 8m high, over the tops of the palm trees, sweeping everything away. There is, you will be relieved to know, an evacuation plan, with a route marked up the hillside opposite by white stones. Further along the coast westwards this is not possible: the dead flat coastal land is flanked by a sheer, vertical cliff: no where to go. Let us hope it is a once in a thousand year event.
The shop sells small cold nice Vailima beer for 3.10 and 6 WST (resort bar is 6 and 9 respectively, Taufua restaurant 5 and 7). Small is 330 cc, large 750cc. No point in getting your water here though as it is 4, the same as Litia Sini: you will need one of these a day at least: budget for this unless you are lucky enough to pick up some en route to the resort. Snacks, of which I had none, are worth bringing: you can get cheesy things for .70 from the shop; by contrast, a large Pringles at Litia cost 9 tala. Lunch is pretty pricy tho: if you';re going to eat at Litia or Taufua at lunch, fish and chips cost the same at both; cheeseburger however at 17 at Taufua is much cheaper than the Litia burger at 28 at Litia Sini. Some people were getting burgers off the children's menu at Litia though: better hope Litia does not stop this if she reads this!! The general opinion is that the food is better at Litia, and the Litia burger had more stuff: I enjoyed my cheeseburger at Taufua though, and the view over the ocean has a lot going for it. Also a big (750 cc) bottle of coke is only 5 tala,
At Litia you can get a banana smoothie for 9, nonalcaholic cocktails (I recommend the cocacolada) from 10, alcaholic ones from 15 tala. Wine is expensive at 14 a glass, 65 a bottle, though I had one special glass at 10. Coke and other cans are 4.50, ginger beer, sasparilla about 6 to 8.
All this however is the detail. You can either pay for drinks and lunch at the time or put it on the tab, in which case it will be added to your room rate when you leave. Make sure you leave enough time for this, as the card machine malfunctioned when I was leaving and I did not have the time I wanted to peruse the bill! You however may not be as anal as I am. As is obvious from the above I am an information-freak, but I have included the above in case it is helpful to others. I did my transfer with Polynesian Xplorer, who were very good and friendly, and charged me 100 tala each way. By the accounts I heard, the hotel itself has a very fast though more expensive 1 hour 20 minutes transfer, so that may be want you want.
My daughter and others said that Apia was ok, but - given the option - they would have preferred the extra night at Litia Sini.This just tells you all you want to know. The resort offers complete relaxation - you get caught into the slow pace of everything, the friendliness of everyone, which makes you respond in kind. It is a place you will not forget in a hurry - the turquoise water waiting to be fallen into, the lovely views, the weather, the people - both the staff and the guests you got to know. I loved it: I bet you do too. For our cynical age, it is easy to underestimate the effect the people's Christian faith have too. To rebound back like this from such a disaster. You too will want to do all you can to support such a place. Apparently there are plans to build two big American hotels along the coast, no doubt with air-conditioning and heaven knows what else. Get to Samoa while it is still as it is. I would love to be able to go back with the rest of the family. Enough said. Salut!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank smaysfiction
Auckland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

I stayed at Litia Sini for just over 8 days, it is the most amazing place I have ever stayed at. The Beach fales that had just been newly built beacause of the recent tsunami were brilliant and included a comfortable double bed, a ceiling fan, a mosquito net and a locking door. The ablutions were also very clean and tidy which did not have hot water but to be honest you did not need it because of the heat of the day. The food I found was just amazing and there was also a lot of it and the banana pancake balls were one of the best things I have ever tasted. The staff there were also very cheerful, nice and helpful especially Joe.
Special thanks again to Joseph and Lydia for the beautiful place they had provided me to stay :)
I cant wait to see you again next year

3 Thank Fletcher C
Cairns
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

My second visit to Litia Sini and arriving back I was greeted like an old friend by many of the staff members who have an amazing capacity to remember faces and names. I took family members with me this time who had never been and although I loved it my first visit, I was worried that my travelling companions would not be as keen as I was.....I had absolutely nothing to worry about!

The staff at the resort make everyone feel welcome and are incredibly friendly. Special mention to Helda (one of the chefs), Joe (of course) and a gorgeous lady who's name completely slips my mind now (has a 9 mth old baby and worked in the main eating fale - she loved our glowsticks!!!!) who were always willing to help, have a chat, recommend a place to see or just give us a warm smile and who all took some interest in us, despite the resort being full.

The beach is perfect, the location is magic and the people are beautiful.

We never locked our fale (though locks are available) and had no issues with this. I took a kettle this time so we could have a cuppa when first getting up and I recommend this is you like a coffee or tea first thing.

Banana pancakes are the best!!!!!!!!

Hire a car for at least a few days so you can get to To Sua, Sliding Rocks etc as it is a bit of a drive to see things from the resort but coming home to the crystal clear water, clean & comfy fales and the enquiry about your travels that day make battling the kamikaze Samoan drivers worthwhile. Best not to let a local drive your vehicle - the only time I have gotten carsick since I was a kid was during a night time dash across the mountain with a local behind the wheel!

My fifteen year old son was given the oppotunity to join the dance group that performs fia fia on Friday night and was lucky enough to be invited to one of the staff members homes in the village to practice for this and made some great friends with the local boys via this. They also took him under their wing, coming to the beach and taking him out or hanging with him swimming which was really cool.

All in all, it is a great place to do as much or as little as you want.

Thanks Lydia and Joseph and all the staff at Litia Sini for another fabulous holiday. See you next year.

Room Tip: Choose a beach front fale, tuck your mosquito nets in before going to dinner and take a kettle and s...
4 Thank Clarkies_Travels
Also consider these accommodations in or near Apia
3.4 km away
0.1 km away
Taufua Beach Fales
Taufua Beach Fales
#1 of 2 in Lalomanu

Been to Litia Sini Beach Resort? Share your experiences!