All reviews air con fresh water pool shared facilities hired a car self contained henry ladder lagoon deck ensuite wharf ferry island accommodation samoa fale bush
Reviewed 29 May 2012

We recently spent a night in an over the water fale, we loved the rustic feel of the fale with its wobbly looking legs and the palm frond sides. I think you need to look at Lusia's for the location and the experience of the fale, we would have been disappointed if we had stayed in any other accommodation type here, they didn't have the charm of the water fale's. The food was enjoyable, however we were a disappointed when we ordered a banana smoothie only to find it was not made with fresh bananas but banana syrup!!
Definitely kayak out on the lagoon, especially when the wind dies down in the late afternoon, it is so peaceful and the bird song is also a treat.
We loved our night at Lusia's.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TravellingCliffy
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Lusia's is a typical Samoan outfit, all smiles, friendly, but when you really look a little closer it's pretty average.

I stayed for two nights with my daughters after 7 days of traveling around both islands. For me it was my second trip to Samoa, and I am very familiar with the accommodation on offer.

Without wanting to sound overly negative, here are the bad points (because they are easier to rattle off!)

- Road noise, heavy machinery across the road, main truck route (if staying in the $300 tala a night rooms)

- Position - located in THE worst town in Samoa - Salelologa - what a dump! Check out Lonely Planet's comments!

- Rooms clean, bathrooms clean, but I would suggest not hygienic - there is a difference! Crap and old soap in shower, plug broken in basin, bits of tap laid out on shelf - which will be there for a few months yet I bet.

****** CAUTION: The hot water is SCALDING hot - if traveling with younger kids, take care.

CC's Bar and Restaurant

- "Rated "best restaurant on Savaii" in Lonely Planet" - Trust me, that's no accolade! Bill's fast food up the road would knock them off the top spot!

- Food average - expensive at 24-28 tala - although good servings.

- How can a Samoan cafe run out of fish? Well they did and they had just started serving dinner!

Positive points;

- They are friendly
- Some free activities
- A wide exit to drive through...

Personally after the 1st night I would have booked somewhere else, but as we were leaving the next day, there was little point, as we had a rental car and could travel.

Do not stay here and think you are going to see the best of Samoa, you will leave with a less than impressive story to tell.

Manase is 40 or so minutes north, do yourself a favour...

Room Tip: Grab a bus and head north 40 mins to Manase - white sand, palm trees and beautiful water - that's the Samoa you are looking for (and featured in the brochures!)
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Andrew C
Reviewed 26 April 2012

First of all im so sorry for not writing this sooner even though its been almost 5 months since I stayed there but better late than never. Stayed for 3 nights in a waterfront ensuite chalet. Room was nice, was surprised to see just a double bed which im sure I was not going to share with my male travelling partner but staff were quick to get another bedding in the room set up. Rooms had, fridge, a/c, fan, hot and cold water, shower with pressured water, clean linen and towels. Loved the balcony over the lagoon and your own ladder down into the water. There was no t.v in the room at the time even though there was a tv stand hanging in the corner, but that didnt worry us coz last thing you need when your on holiday is to be watching tv. The Staff made the stay enjoyable, very friendly, welcoming and nothing was a problem for them. Staff even came to the room to ask if we needed dinner or breakfast knowing we probably hadnt eaten anything that day. Service was fast when ordering drinks even bringing them to our room. CC's restaurant which has to be said is the best restaurant in Savaii, I have eaten here on several occassions and the food is great!! Location is beautiful, tranquil and close to the ferry terminal. Some evenings you can hear the bass sounds coming from the nearby night club but that was nothing compared to the music blasting from my mini speakers over the balcony that night. Makes me chuckle a bit reading other reviews of people complaining about mosquito's.....common its the Tropix what do you expect??? Of course take repellent!!! Had a beautiful view of the ocean with the full moon shining onto the lagoon and even saw fruit bats flying over the lagoon as well which was just spectacular. I have travelled to many places and stayed in many luxurious hotels and resorts but Lusia's Lagoon Chalets is affordable, clean, basic staff are very friendly, approachable, helpful yet not too overbearing and they respect your privacy compared to other resorts. Goes to show you dont have to stay in places that have expensive pools or exotic health spas to enjoy the simple things in life. Like this owner who started only with a few nails and some pieces of wood anything is possible. Thank you for lovely experience and will definately see you soon!!! Oh and check out Uncle Bills too, short distance from Lusia's, loved their fish and chips.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Naima M
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Went to Lusia's after getting off the ferry from Upolo - just for breakfast. Had the pancakes - they were amazing. Service was really fast. Staff were very friendly and welcoming. They also told us what to go and see. Didn't stay the night as we were traveling on around the island. Would go and stay next time.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 March 2012

We turned up to Lusia's Lagoon Chalets and had a look at the waterfront fales, which were very quaint and romantic, and told that one was available. When returning later that day we were told that the lagoon fale was gone but that there was still a garden fale available. As it was late in the day and Salelologa is not exactly full of other options, we had no choice but to take up this option. It was a TINY TINY cardboard box of a construction with a dirty mattress on the floor, a ripped mosquito net and nothing else, it was hard to believe that such a room could exist in this day and age. I am not really fussy and quite like roughing it and getting back to basics but this accommodation was absolutely unbelievable. We also had some serious concerns about how the staff were treated by the owner. I would not give this place your money just on principle.

Room Tip: Do not even consider staying in a Garden Fale.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple