“Good value”
Review of Tanu Beach Fales

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Savai'i
Tanu Beach Fales
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Savai'i
Reviewed 31 December 2011

We stayed for three nights in a traditional fales right by the beach. Nice big fale with sand brush (made from Coonut) to brush the same off your feet. Everything was great. Food was quite normal food we might get at home, Deep fried chicken etc, local food would have been nice. Showers were cold although that was very good as it was very hot. Service was lovely. Tea and coffee available though honesty box payment. CocaCola was very cheap, and chill coconuts could be purchased.

Snorkeling was as good as anywhere else I tried in Samoa.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Michael P

Reviewed 28 November 2011

I stayed in the traditional fales which were awesome and well maintained which was good as I was there in November (wet season). The meals were very filling and usually Samoan style food. I was lucky enough to be there when it was fairly full with school groups so the family put on a fia fia night, it wasn't as well polished as the aggies show but it felt a little more authentic which I really loved. The beach was good too and snorkeling on the reef was good.. but you can only go at high tide... and if your not a good swimmer its best to ask others for advice on water conditions for snorkeling... or to take the advice of the signs and swim close to the beach. I was there by my self, and although some of the boys there were interested to talk to me they were no trouble which I really appreciated.

Room Tip: Probably the beach front fales would have the nicest view, but i think it just depends on how many p...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank buffymossman
Reviewed 11 November 2011

I went to Tanu Beach Fales when I was travelling around the world on my own. Samoa was very refreshing compared to the onslaught of gap yearers and youngesters that dominate some of Fiji's areas.

Tanu Fales are run by a lovely Mormon family (I can recommend the Sunday service for anyone interested, the family are very welcoming of guests there). The accommodation is typically Beachy. The facilities are again typical of the beach hut accommodation of the area. I suggest looking at all the photos, they are a very good indication of the quality of accomodation and facilities.

The Fales are generally run by the local families in Samoa, which I think is a great idea. So please remember that you are in effect, joining a family and be mindful of there traditions (i.e. bikinis and skimpy sarongs are fine on the beach, but shorts and tshirts are more respectful when walking around the village.

I enjoyed the evening entertainment there. There is a great little bar just along the beach that serves cocktails, fab for sunset! They are very inclusive, and will definitely chat to you if you chat to them.

I did join the day tour of Savaii and it was well worth it. If you take it and get the chance to go swimming with the Turtles in the rescue centre, do it! That was one of the best experiences of my year away.

I'm not the type of person to revist a place for any length of time, but I would definitely recommend it to any one going. Good value, lovely staff and a truly beautiful location, I was out snorkelling about 3-4 hours each day, the currents are great for drift snorkelling.

Room Tip: Ask for a Fale on nearest the beach. Beautiful views to wake up to.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank mand282
Reviewed 20 October 2011

A beautiful beach, good food, very friendly service, wonderful people, great views, not a lot more to be said really. We loved the way this operation was run. The shop on site sells basics (including beer) at good prices, and you simply write in the book what you have taken and settle up at the end. There is an ATM 5 minutes walk away. They dont take credit cards.
The fales each have an electric light but no power point. Breakfast and dinner are provided but you are on your own for lunch. The pizza shop down the road delivered 3 large pizzas for 80 Tala or so.

The shared facilities and cold water showers were a novelty at first, but were spotlessly clean and absolutely fine. There is no need for hot water showers in Samoa!

The property is about an hour by taxi from the ferry terminal at Savai'i. The best price we could get for a taxi was 70 Tala (for 6 people and their gear).

The snorkelling off the beach is adequate, although at low tide it becomes very shallow out towards the reef.We saw turtles and all sorts out there. I would recommend the snorkelling tour run by an operator just down the road. 3 hours, 60 Tala per adult, and some great coral/fish etc.

All in all I highly recommend Tanu Beach and would gladly return.

Room Tip: The fales along the beach row have beter views and are quieter than the ones closer to the road, The...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Petertopzand
Reviewed 17 October 2011

Dont get me wrong, this is a lovely place but more for the younger generation. Very basic, cold water showers, no towels, soap etc. No place to make tea or coffee. Maybe the travel agent should have had more information. Cant fault the family atmosphere but it was like going back in time. The family were very good and the entertainment on the friday evening was excellent.

Room Tip: If you are in the 15 to 30 age group this is excellent but for somebody older this is a little bit o...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends