“Excellent place-based food”
Review of Ulises

Ulises
Reviewed 25 January 2018

This is a classic restaurante, with excellent meats and pasta. The wine is good and reasonably priced. The attention careful and polite. The ambience is fine, the music good and not very loud. It does get full so go early and enjoy more.

Reviewed 14 January 2018

San Martin is a pretty town but can get a bit overwhelmed by visitors. We were recommended this place by our hotel as a fall-back if their first suggestion wasn't available. Well the first option was closed. We had no cause to regret coming here. Father and son team run the place - father is in charge of the wine room (!) while son does the cooking and translates for non-Spanish speakers. Italian influence is clear to see. Interesting menu; good value for money; interested in their customers.

Reviewed 7 January 2018 via mobile

Having read the good reviews, I was quite looking forward to a nice meal. At first the waiters were quite nice- then upon ordering our appetizer of Spanish style squid and my son’s principle plate I was told that I needed to immediately order my principle plate( I did not order in beginning because I was still deciding) because they had a rule that principle plates must be ordered within 10 minutes of ordering the appetizer because they were extremely busy. Very strange this rule because the place was half empty when we left at 10:30 with no one waiting to come in. All well. I then went to the wine cellar and picked a Grand Reserve - Fin del Mundo which had a price tag of 450 pesos for 750 ml and 650 pesos for Magnum- when I then requested a 750ml bottle the waiter was questioning if I knew the bottle was 450 pesos and hesitant if we could pay. Nevertheless- bottle was opened and then again waiter kept reminding of this time limit to order principle male. The squid came - certainly nothing special though not bad. Again the waiter came and insisted I order principle meal( might make some sense if there was a crowd but there was not). I finally ordered the mushroom sorrentines. They arrived under cooked with hard starch dough enclosed partially hydrated de-hydrated mushrooms which made something equivalent to a substitute for concrete. As I was trying to eat this pile of muck the waiter grabs my son’s plate half eaten and says that if he wanted a dessert he needed to order now. With this last stunt i told the waiter to please rid me of my half eaten plate and give me the check as quickly as possible - to make room for all their imaginary clientele waiting to dine. Check came and they charged me 650 pesos for the bottle of wine instead of the proper amount of 450 pesos. At this point I just wanted to get the heck out of this dump and 200 pesos would be a small property cue to pay to get out earlier than later. I paid never to come back.

Reviewed 7 January 2018 via mobile

Busy, small restaurant with excellent food and service. The local trout was delicious. Selecting the wine is fun as all the wines offered can be chosen from their “cave” a separate room with bottles are prices displayed.

Reviewed 29 December 2017

The food is great. We had dinner twice. The first day both a salmon (different style) and the strudel. The second day a beef chorizo with Roquefort sauce and a trout. For dessert a flan. Everything was very well prepared and it all tasted delicious. The staff is very friendly. They accept all cards.