“Dire”

Ranked #52 of 321 Restaurants in Salta
Price range: USD 3 - USD 6
Cuisines: Argentinian, International, Bar
Reviewed 15 November 2017

I've written a few reviews on TA over the years, and have tried in every case to see the good (and great, sometimes) in what I've experienced, but tonight's "meal" was so woeful I have to break with precedent.

My "Pollo a la Planch" was edible, just, but covered in a bizarre and strange tasting orange coloured sauce. There were stir fried vegetables (the only freshly cooked part of the meal) covering a lukewarm potato thing. We were starving so I ate more than half, but it was a strange and pretty tasteless plate.

My wife's steak was altogether worse. She had "Lomo a la pimienta". This was accompanied by a mushroom sauce (why mushrooms when it said "pimienta" ?) and was inedible. The steak was grisly - and thus the first steak we have had in Argentina which wasn't absolutely excellent - and the creamed spinach was stone cold. Not just badly warmed up to lukewarm, but straight out of the fridge cold. She was also served some sort of potato thing with a topping which had also seen the inside of a fridge, but no attempt at heating.

The food we have had in Argentina has been brilliant so far, after 2 weeks traveling, particularly the steaks, but this "meal" was the worst we have had here, by far. It may, in fact, be the worst meal we have had all year.

The restaurant is right next door to the excellent Alejandro 1 hotel. So if you're staying there you might be tempted to try Bartom's as an alternative. Don't. It's awful and, from the reaction of the waiter, they know it's truly dire.

I can't end like that. There was one good point. The wine, an Elementos Malbec was good. Also, by the time we bailed, Argentina was 2 up against Nigeria.

Sadly, in keeping with the meal itself, Argentina went on to lose tonight; so did we. Avoid Bartom's.

Reviewed 4 November 2017 via mobile

Me and my wife ordered a salad and a 'milanesa'. The salad came 20 minutes after the milanesa that was not that good anyways. We even did not get an apology. Not recommended.

Reviewed 15 March 2017 via mobile

Was looking for something other than a steakhouse and this was perfect. Big menu with good variation. Showing futbol games on tv. Would go back.

Reviewed 6 January 2017 via mobile

We had an early lunch at Bartom's as everything else was still closed... Staff was friendly but the food could have been much better! The meat was of poor quality and the side dishes were lacking taste. I would not go there for dinner a second time!

Reviewed 30 December 2016

Ordered:
Caesar salad - large salad that didn't resemble a Caesar salad. Didn't taste too good and used incorrect ingredients.
Burger and potato wedges - dry potatoes and what could only be described as a train wreck in a bun. Meat appeared to be undercooked and tasted terrible. Our kids wouldn't eat it. I normally eat their leftovers but I couldn't eat it either.
Days menu onion pastry, canaloni and cheesecake - all very bland. Was okay for the price but not much flavour. The cheesecake was more like loose biscuit crumbs with runny yoghurt with jam on top, not cheesecake.

Service was very poor. Had to ask for my dessert and we were never asked if everything was okay or if we would like more drinks, coffee or dessert. Upon complaining I was given a small discount, but not sufficient to compensate our experience.
We wouldn't go back or recommend.