“Bife de Chorizo... yum!”
Review of El Viejo Jack

El Viejo Jack
Ranked #20 of 334 Restaurants in Salta
Price range: USD 8 - USD 12
Cuisines: Argentinian, Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Traditional Argentine grill offers from 1987 excellent meat in its two locations. Argentine wines at the best price. Opened every day 12:00 AM to 3:30 PM and 7 PM to 1 AM.
Reviewed 23 December 2015 via mobile

For a lot of travelers that travel over land, Salta is the first stop in Argentina and thus the first place to enjoy really great bbq meat. After a couple of months in Peru & Bolivia, El Viejo Jack was the perfect place for our first 'parilla' experience! The bife de chorizo was excellent, cooked exactly how we asked it, and came with very tasty grilled vegetables. The waiter was nice enough to advice us to order half portions, as a whole portion was 800(!!) grams of meat. Compared to the food in Peru and Bolivia we found it quite pricey (350 pesos for 2), but we quickly found out that North Argentina is cheap compared to the Southern part, and cities like BA and Iguazu. So, very good value for money. Waiter was very friendly but no English here. For us not a problem but make sure to know which type of beef you like before you go if you do not speak Spanish. Recommended!

Reviewed 21 December 2015

Amazing place, lovely service (including magic tricks!), and wow the food. The portions are huge, so make sure you share! The starter with I think aubergine was delicious. And the mashed potato as a side was great.

Reviewed 5 December 2015

I had been to the city of Salta before, and I've eaten at Viejo Jack before. I remembered it as having good, abundant, food at a good price. I went back on my most recent trip to Argentina, and I ate once again at Viejo Jack. My memory was not wrong. The bife de chorizo I had was great; and -- like I remembered -- it was reasonably priced. The waiters are attentive; and the wines are good too.

It is located far enough out of the center that it is less touristic (maybe not touristic at all: all the customers seemed to be locals when I was there). But it is still an easy walking distance from the center; and such a walk is safe at night (like at many Argentinian restaurants, dinner might not be completed until well-after midnight).

For an authentic Argentinian parrilla, I recommend Viejo Jack.

Reviewed 12 November 2015 via mobile

Very good meat with good prices compared to Argentina. The service was very good and they even offered tap water.

Reviewed 5 November 2015 via mobile

We were recommended to go to Jack II by our Airbnb host as we were staying not to far away. She said it was good and cheap.  We found many locals and even a couple from then US visiting family near by who confirmed Jack II is the best resturant.  Apparently, Jack I is for all the tourist!  We have been traveling all over argentina for almost 3 weeks. This has been one of our most remarkable steaks.  We ordered the tenderloin for 2 people. When it arrived out waiter cut it with a spoon and dished out two servings and left two more waiting to be served. It was so good!  We finished all four serving.  Hands down the best steak we had our whole trip.  This is a must go and eat!!!

1  Thank hindmanharvey