“Didn't meet our Expectations”
Review of El Portal Suites

El Portal Suites
Ranked #25 of 84 Hotels in Mendoza
Reviewed 27 March 2017

First room had very dirty floor and A/C in "living area" wasn't working. Moved to another room next day with working wall A/C units in bedroom and living area. Kitchenette area okay, but no soap to wash the cups/saucers. Staff was okay, but we were told the first day that we could move to a front room with park view. Next day, we were told no park view rooms available. Breakfast is a "free for all." Two attendants tried to keep food and coffee replenished, but it was challenging. For some reason, they don't have "backup" coffee or hot water or hot milk or sliced fruit prepared. I think they have to make an entirely new pot of coffee every time it runs out. Absolutely no pictures on the walls of rooms. Makes it very stark and unappealing. Both rooms we were in had laminate wood floors; no carpet. Working safe in closet. Hotel has a great location, right across street from Plaza Chile, walking distance to lots of restaurants and shops, and around the corner from large Carrefour market, but it needs some TLC . . . 1) better planning and management of breakfast 2) some photos or prints hung on walls 3) more sensitive lights in hallways so they come on before one actually reaches that part of the hallway 4) deep cleaning of crevices and couches and chairs and bathrooms.

Room Tip: Check room before deciding. Second room better than first and had A/C in both rooms. Back rooms ar...
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 February 2017

I stayed several nights at El Portal Suites as this hotel is often used by tour groups climbing Aconcagua. The location is very good, close to the main square and shopping area. Rooms are spacious and comfortable. Some have their own balcony with a nice view of the park. Breakfast is not too impressive, but you can order eggs separately (ask the server). My main gripe was the wifi. Perhaps it was over-subscribed because of a visiting US school group, but on a day I needed to do some work it was absolutely impossible to get online. Not good.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 July 2016

Room size was amazing. Rooms were clean and modern. Good location. Staff was nice and helpful - but a little pushy with tour sales.

When we stayed, there was loud drilling in the place all day long. We didn't like that much, but realized that, hopefully, it was just temporary.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 May 2016

A great location and a nice facade. The staff are friendly and helpful but sadly the rooms are dated and the Wifi is not accessible from the room. The room I had was large but the carpet was loose and in general it seemed as I said, dated. The bathroom was clean as was the kitchenette. It seems to be an executable habit to make a double bed from two singles. I have been in Argentina for several years now and I am used to the custom, but the edge between the two beds can be uncomfortable. For the number of stars this hotel claims to have I expected better. And no internet in the rooms? There used to be a justifiable reason for that but these days there is no excuse. A breakfast buffet was offered but it did not have a very good selection. There are good restaurants within a short walk for your evening meal.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 April 2016

During my romp around Argentina I am currently staying in Mendoza at the El Portal Suites. Very boutiquish and nice but a couple of small negatives. First the positives... the people at the front desk went and are going out of their way to make me feel at home. They speak pretty good English and have been super helpful in accommodating me. The location is perfect for all eating and shopping your heart could desire. Also there are several different rooms, hence the name suites!!!!!Some negatives now: Internet in rooms is spotty at best... I'm in the lobby now writing this and it's a pretty good connection... but the signal in the rooms obviously is very weak... it's super noisy... my first night it sounded like there was a party going on in my bathroom. As I walked in there for the first time upon checking in there is a grate in the shower and it's connected to where I have no idea... except it sounded like it was connected to another persons bathroom and all of their talk and sound was funneled up to my room with an increase in amplitude.. so loud and unwanted... I turned the AC on to try and drown out the noise, I closed the bathroom door and closed the bedroom door yet I could still hear the noise and talking. The hot water in the shower this morning lasted less than 1 minute!!!! I had to do an abbreviated shower and finish in cold water.... same with shaving... the hot water ran out about half way through my shave in the sink!!!! Not terrible but NOT what I wanted. I haven't been around much drinking wine, eating out and doing some tours.... if the rooms could have only reflected the nice people working the desk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled solo