Book In Advance
In high demand - travellers recommend booking ahead!
Why Book on TripAdvisor?
  • Tour highlights & full itinerary
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

All reviews el ombu horse ride empanadas salad buenos aires asado day trip chicken my wife and i in town small town the bus quick tour great food and wine an hour and a half steak ribs
Reviewed 15 March 2018

This was the perfect way to end a week in Argentina. Though we did a day trip from BA, with the private driver easily arranged by el Ombu, we wished we'd spend the night. There were animals all around, the horseback riding was well arranged and easy for novices, and the food was delicious. It was a beautiful setting and the staff was very considerate. I wish we'd had more time!

Reviewed 24 February 2018 via mobile

My wife and I visited this estancia as a long day trip. We left at 9:00 am and returned at 6:30 pm. Cost was $400 for two, including private driver and tip. This estancia gets very good reviews so I suspect it’s one of the better ones. We were somewhat disappointed however.

The program consists of an hour long horse ride, 90 minute lunch, an hour long dance and horse show and two hours of waiting. Food was the highlight. Both the lunch and the empanadas that they give you as a snack we’re very good.
The horse ride and the dance/horse show were pretty touristy/dull.

Overall the program reminded us of a Hawaiian luau - both in terms of authenticity and pricing (plus some luaus have pretty good food). It’s probably a better activity for families with younger children.

Reviewed 28 January 2018

We went from BA to this estancia and stayed for 2 nights. Which was absolutely perfect.

We took the bus from Retiro station and they sent 2 cars to pick us up from the bus station (we were 4 with a lot of luggage). The taxis cost equaled the 2 hour bus trip for 4 but so be it.)

The house itself is from early 1800s and is absolutely stunning. It was originally built by Riccieri who was one of the original settlers that actually formed a militia to kick out the Indigenous from the region. (it's history, not judgment) then the home was owned by a French couple for 30 years and has currently been held by an Argentine family of German descent for 4 generations. The family works the estancia and are very on hand.

We had room one and it was lovely. The rooms have a/c but really the fan with open windows were perfect for me. The silence was stunning, especially for a city girl. You can sit out on the chaise lounges at night and see all of the constellations, including the southern cross.

They had 2 horse rides daily, one in the am after breakfast and another in the late afternoon. The horses were all very healthy and well cared for and well trained. In lieu of horseback riding one day I went and milked a cow, again very cool experience for a city girl. The gauchos are locals from the pueblo who have worked with horses their whole lives and some have their own farms and work with this estancia to help sustain their own legacies. Katcho, one of the gauchos, for example, has his own farmstead for 3 generations, so there is a lot of history and long ties to this area. San Antonio de Areco is known for its horses and has a good reputation.

I was and am very satisfied by this experience. I found it to be reasonable considering all that is included, meals, wine, beverages, activities, etc.

The only thing that I would forewarn is that this particular estancia offers "dias de campo" so there will be groups of people coming during the day to experience an estancia and then will leave by dinner time.

There are others that are more solitary and I am sure are absolutely fabulous but really they are very pricey to compensate for not having the day trippers. So it depends on your own price range.

I loved every minute of this experience and fully recommend this estancia.

P.S. there are loads of dogs that live here and are super duper friendly and big food manipulators. It was nice to have them around since I missed my own furbabies.

1  Thank skydiva
Reviewed 18 January 2018

Visiting this estancia was a wonderful and relaxing experience, with very friendly staff, beautiful buildings and grounds. It somehow managed to feel authentic despite a couple of dozen tourists wandering around. The delicious and generous lunch was served outside on a wide, graceful veranda. We were not able to stay for the program after lunch, so cannot comment on it. It was an easy day trip from Buenos Aires. Be warned that the last several km to the estancia are on an unpaved road of red dirt and after heavy rains are almost impassible. The deep ruts in the wet clay were similar to driving in heavy snow during a blizzard - except the visibility was ok! In this case contact the estancia and they will pick you up where the paved road ends, only a 10 minute drive from the estancia. The deep ruts didn't faze the estancia drivers at all.

Reviewed 11 December 2017

To be honest we didn't know what to expect from this tour but we absolutely loved it. It took around 2 hours of driving from Buenos Aires to reach the ranch in the middle of the farming landscape of Argentina (which was beautiful). The tour first visited the local town before continuing to the Estancia where we first enjoyed a horseback ride through the grounds of the estancia before settling down on pretty tables positioned under the sun in the garden of the historic estancia to enjoy a traditional barbecue with endless supplies of lamb, beef, sausages, salad and delicious malbec. The highlight of the tour though was the horse dancing where the gauchos showcased their skills and control with a horse, all to the backing of a traditional guitarist. We really loved this tour - if you want to experience an estancia, great food and wine and learn about the life of the horse trainers in this region of Argentina this cannot be beaten.