“Horrendous reservation system, seems to trade on positive Lonely Planet write-up”

V&S Hostel Club Buenos Aires
Reviewed 1 January 2010

This hostel seems to be trading off the back of its good write-up in the Lonely Planet. Because of this they don't seem to care about improving their horrendous reservation system!

I used their website more than a month in advance to try and make a reservation but only received an automated reply. Two weeks before we were due to visit BA, my girlfriend attempted to make a telephone reservation and was told by the woman on the phone that everything was in order and that our reservation was confirmed.

To cut a long story short, we arrived late in the evening thinking we had a reservation only to be told they had no record of it and that the hostel was full. To be fair, the receptionist was apologetic and located for us a nearby hotel that had space.

We were told contradictory information by the receptionist compared with the woman who answered the telephone such as "we do not take telephone reservations" and "we always ask for a deposit up front".

The hostel itself looks clean and friendly but rather shabbier than you might expect from their glossy website. Despite the handy location, the area feels rather dodgy at night (exemplified by the receptionist's unwillingness to let anyone through the front door who is not on the reservation list).

Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lyneux
There are newer reviews for V&S Hostel Club Buenos Aires

Reviewed 22 November 2009

I enjoyed my stay at the V&S Hostel Club very much. The staff is very welcoming and helpful. It is within walking distance of many interesting places in Buenos Aires. It also is close to the metro, which is easy to use. The hostel is neat and clean. There is a small kitchen for use and high speed Internet is available.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 October 2009

I've stopped by at V&S Hostel on my trip down to Buenos Aires, and I have to say that it was a really good experience. The attention, the comfort, the cleanness... Everything I expected from a perfect hostel I found at V&S! Plus, they have a good deal with a gym close by. Therefore, if you ever travel to Buenos Aires, I highly recommend V&S Hostel and going to a River Plate game!!!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 January 2009

This place is a true hostel. I imagine that it is perfectly nice for most people, but my problem is that I paid for a private double room here. The price was comparable to other places in the city that were true hotels or B&Bs, but we stayed here because we had heard good things. For that price, we were treated like we paid $20 for a bunk bed. For example, breakfasts are really simple - cold cereal or toast. You make your own, and there is a big sign that says "clean up after yourselves and wash your own plates because this is not your mother's house" or something like that. Paying $65 or $70 USD for a room, I would expect them to at least do my dishes for me! Not to mention that for that price, at first they tried to stick me in a dorm room with two beds pushed together and the other two beds left in the room. The room was shabby to say the least. After I complained, they moved me to a proper double room, which was nicer, but they didn't even bother cleaning it when they moved my room. There was hair all over the place and the bathroom was still dirty. The bathrooms by the way are not that nice. The pictures of the hostel on their website are definitely overly flattering. Also, if I had to do it again, I don't know if I would want to stay in this part of the city, as it is very commercial. For example, there are not too many dinner options. I think it'd be better to stay in Palermo or another neighborhood.

Finally, a word about the terrible booking process - we wanted to ensure a reservation, so we called them, and they needed us to go to another hostel booking site to put a deposit on the room. That would have been fine, but the site did not show any availability, so we had to go back and forth with the hostel to get an opening on the website. After all that, we finally were able to put a deposit of 10%, which was about $7 USD. The booking site added a fee of $7 additional, which was not applicable towards the price of the room! Ridiculous.

Stayed: October 2008
Reviewed 16 September 2008

There is something fundamentally wrong with this place, they do not know how to make reservations. I saw there were concerns about reservations on Trip Advisor, but it looked like a great place.

Then I tried to make a reservation.

I sent one online, just like they said, and am left with a message that my request will be replied to within 2 hours. I am sent an automatic email that only said ´welcome to Hostel Club'.
24 hours later I check my email and there is still no response. I look for a telephone number on the website and there is none to be found. What if someone is lost and wants to call the hostel? Luckily I found the phone number at the bottom of the email.

The receptionist tells me that the reservations guy did not come in today, and leaves it at that. I ask if I should look for another place. She asks what kind of room I want and said that that is available. I ask if I can reserve it. No, she says, you can only reserve online. She should have said that you can reserve online when the reservations guy decides to show up and look at it. She said I could call in the morning and see if the rooms are still available. Guess what, I am a traveler and I don't have a phone and I want a reservation at least 24 in advance.

If a business shows little effort or interest in satisfying the customer in order to get their money, why should I think they'll treat me any better once they already have it?

That said, the place looks very nice and has a pretty nice website. It's a shame that so much was invested in making it a nice place and having a nice website, and there is such absolute failure in taking a reservation. I'm sure when the reservation guy happens to show up or if you walk in off the street things work fine.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo
Hostel Colonial Buenos Aires
#130 of 465 in Buenos Aires
Gilper Hostel
#146 of 1,328 in Province of Buenos Aires

Been to V&S Hostel Club Buenos Aires? Share your experiences!