“good location - overall a good choice”

Esplendor Buenos Aires
Ranked #167 of 446 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Miami Beach, Florida
“good location - overall a good choice”
Reviewed 12 July 2011

I spent a few night there during a business trip. Location is excellent. It is an historical building recently renovated, with modern furniture and artwork. Young employees with a careful service. Good buffet breakfast included in the room rate. Wireless internet included (in my room was very weak, better in the tiny business center)

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 2 May 2011

Had 6 nights in this hotel, staff were very helpful and desk is manned 24 hours. The rooms were spacious and comfortable.

Internet was not accessible in the rooms so had to go to business center. Breakfast was average, but nothing special. Nice and close to Gallerias Pacifica so great if u want to shop until you drop.

A good hotel, but if you want to escape the rat race, try Esplendor Palermo for something alternative.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
E03TripAdv, Gerente at Esplendor Buenos Aires, responded to this review, 6 May 2011
Dear Guest:

I greatly appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience with TripAdvisor. Your nice comments encourage us to continue working on providing high quality accommodations and services. I look forward to the opportunity of hosting your next visit to Argentina.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 14 April 2011

I selected the hotel via Trip Advisor. We stayed a total of eight nights in two segments. The room was spacious and clean. The breakfast was good, but not out of the ordinary. The staff was very accommodating and pleasant. The wi-fi was not accessible in our room, so I took my net book to the lobby or internet station on the mezzanine. The hotel needs some renovation, but it was not uncomfortable. Use the car service to the airport. It is good value.
The location was excellent!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest:

I greatly appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience with TripAdvisor. Your comments encourage us to continue working on providing high quality accommodations and services. I will definitively share them with my staff. I look forward to the opportunity of hosting your next visit to Argentina.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 11 April 2011

I took a last-minute "mileage run" to BA, enticed by a cheap fare on Continental. I didn't do a huge amount of research on hotels -- maybe 45 minutes -- and picked Esplendor because several reviewers had remarked on the location, and I liked the belle epoque style of the exterior. As reviewers had noted, the French classic exterior belies a stark (as in Philippe Starck) trendy interior, which I think the hotel carries a bit too far. I arrived early in the morning and my room wasn't ready until 2, but they stowed my bags and I walked around the neighborhood. The much-heralded shopping "mall" (with frescoed ceilings) is practically next door, and the pedestrian-only shopping street, Florida, is also around the corner (the "mall" adjoins Florida). There was plenty of sight-seeing to fill up the time before check-in. The hotel staff helpfully suggested a restaurant, El Establo, which is just down the street from the hotel. Don't miss this restaurant -- I ate there twice. I took the front desk's suggestion on what to order (Lomo, or sirloin), and it was great. (I had sweetbreads the next day, which were also fine.) Upon my return to the hotel at 2 to check in, they had "upgraded" me to a suite. I should not have raised my expectations: the suite is simply an enlarged bedroom with a low couch in the "living room" (which is more like an anteroom), with the couch serving little purpose other than as a luggage rack. The room (#205) is very hip in its appointments. Gauzy drapery hung over the chandelier and the single art on the wall was a 50s era diagram of 35 leg exercises, which I thought was actually kind of cool. The toilet was broken and ran continually, until I alerted the staff on checkout (I was surprised the maid didn't catch it -- I stayed 2 nights). The room looked out on another belle epoque building which, while architecturally majestic, was vacant and dirty with several broken windows. Traffic noise was slight but not bothersome. What the room could have used was this: an iPod player; a TV satellite/cable that produced better pictures than the "snowy" ones that I got (watching TV while getting ready to go out is one way of getting a sense of the local culture); and a converter for my laptop (Argentina is on a different electric system with different plugs). The front desk didn't have any converters on hand and said that ones available in stores were "expensive." In this age of technology, I think that these three omissions are something no good hotel should tolerate. They do offer 2 "house" computers for guest use. The breakfast was more than adequate: scrambled eggs, cold meats, fruits (only grapefruit and oranges were fresh cut), juices (grapefruit and orange), cereals, tea/coffee, and bread/pastries. The clientele (judging from the breakfast crowds) were middle-aged Americans, many heading off to wine tours or remarking on the previous night's "tango" revue. The hotel is very well located, with an easy walk to the Obelisk. The Sheraton is a block or so away. The "Orleans" bar, across the street, had six people at six different tables on Sunday at 5 pm -- four were hookers. I mentioned this to the Esplendor front desk guy, who smiled and confirmed that, yes, there were other places to get a drink without having to try so hard to avoid eye contact. A final suggestion: steak was the main draw for me on this trip (on the whole, I found BA pretty unremarkable, having been at the 4 Seasons in culture-rich Mexico City in January). A friend of a friend suggested the restaurant Las Lilas for great beef. Las Lilas is a short taxi ride or a 20-minute walk from Esplendor. A 3-hour lunch at Las Lilas almost made the 10-hour flight from Houston worthwhile.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank rmajor

Marisol Badi
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2011

Stayed here for two nights on a business trip and was very happy with my stay here. The rooms are quite big and uniquely decorated. Staff were welcoming and spoke english, maps are available if you are here for vacation (this was very central, but not great if you are working in Vicente Lopez!). Breakfast was good. Only slight negative was the location, it was on a fairly busy road, but for some reason I didn't find it too bothersome, maybe because the bed was really comfortable! Internet access was free and quick.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Dear Guest:
Your nice comments encourage us to continue working on providing high quality accommodations and services. I will definitively share them with my staff. I look forward to the opportunity of hosting your next visit to Argentina.