“Old World Charm”

Ranked #101 of 447 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Denver, Colorado, United States
“Old World Charm”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This hotel combines modern amenities and service with a well preserved and updated hotel. As you overlook the city, you feel as if you were experiencing Buenos Aires as the Paris of South America. The service was top notch in the rooms, bar, and lounge. The rooms were well maintained and our suite was beautifully appointed.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Geat city with some lovely old buildings and impressive new along the old waterfront. Excellent restaurants but avoid Recoletta which is for tourists and the food is poor value. Take in the cemetery at Recoletta though, amazing family mausoleums

Room Tip: No views from this hotel and no balconies. Non smoking
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 9 February 2012

this hotel needs a major renovation. my room was dirty, paint peeling in places and dust all over. the whole hotel has a rundown feel. service is very spotty. there was a loud party at night on the first floor which prevented me from going to sleep. when i complained, the staffer said i could get up in the middle of the night, get dressed,. leave all my stuff and they would let me sleep in a room on a higher floor. not great service.
also, the concierge booked me into a tango and dinner show where my camera was stolen. coincidence? maybe..
anyhow, location is excellent. otherwise, an old and run down hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank countziggenpuss
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 7 February 2012

We stayed here one night in January and two nights in early February. The location is great, at the top of Florida, handy for shopping and restaurants.

Most of the staff were great, with the exception one or two slightly sour ones. The staff in the bar and at the concierge desk were particularly helpful. Front desk did try to charge us for breakfast on our first stay, when it was included in our rate, but took the charge off without any argument when we pointed this out.

I was a little disappointed with the standard of the property overall, as it had been marketed to me as a 5 star. I don't believe it lives up to this as the decor in the public areas was quite tired and needed some attention, plus the "courtyard" our room looked out onto was filthy. The rooms also lacked the luxury feel I'd expect in a 5 star hotel. Having said that, the building is full of history and is quite lovely if you prefer historic hotels. If I hadn't been expecting a 5 star hotel, I probably would have been a lot happier with it.

Room size is pretty good, not huge but comfortably big enough for the two of us and our ton of luggage. The bathroom amenities are a bit limited and housekeeping didn't replace everything we'd used when they serviced our room. The bed was definitely comfortable. The air-conditioning doesn't have an individual control beyond heat/cool and fan speed, and the room did get quite hot at times.

We did have a good stay in Buenos Aires and the location was definitely a good point. I probably wouldn't choose to stay here again. Maybe if the rate was really good, but not for full price.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jane M
Lymington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2012

I stayed twice here in January, once for three nights and once for one. This is an older-style hotel and none the worse for that. The best point is the size of the (not luxurious) rooms and beds. The junior suite I'd booked is large, with two full size rooms and an excellent king-size bed. The view is horrible, onto the inside of the hotel, but the compensation is that the rooms are silent, a real bonus in a city centre hotel. The location is perfect. There are some quirks, however. Why do hotels of this class charge you the equivalent of £4 for a bottle of mineral water in the room? Why not just put it into the price (which is reasonable).This must be the only 5* hotel in the world that doesn't have a lift on the lobby level. Breakfast is mediocre and 3* at best, a surprisingly frequent problem in Argentina (where dinner can often be world-class).The staff are willing and amiable, but not sparklingly efficient. It took 20 mins to get my bag down from my room when departing. Worse, on my first stay, I arrived from the UK at 08.30 when, understandably, my room was not available. My luggage was therefore taken at my request to the Fitness Centre, where I showered and shaved etc. Leaving my luggage there, with instructions to move it to my room when available, I left for a meeting. Returning at 4.00 to my room, my bags has indeed been delivered. Three days later, flying south, I suddenly realised I didn't have my (expensive) new coat, which had been with my luggage on arrival but which I realised had not followed my bags to my room. I had not missed it as the temp in BA that week was 34C. In Ushuaia, my next destination, it was 10C and chilly. I therefore had to purchase another coat and instructed my Argentinian agents to seek to locate the original at the Marriott. Despite several efforts, they could not do so. On returning twelve days later, my lengthy personal enquiries at the front desk, the concierge and the Fitness Centre were fruitless. "Perhaps you left it somewhere else?" The Fitness Centre Manager was "absolutely certain" that no coat had been left there. I gave up and rang the elevator call button to leave this floor. As the lift arrived, a young girl emerged from the office with my coat over her arm. "Is this your coat?". Despite their visible and justified embarrassment, I got no proper apology. Not very good.

Room Tip: Go for the Junior Suites. Deals are always available. Forget about the view. Buy your water outside.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo