“Interesting afternoon, but not what I was expecting” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Foto Ruta Buenos Aires

Foto Ruta Buenos Aires
Ranked #32 of 270 Tours in Buenos Aires
More attraction details
Owner description: Foto Ruta is a fun and creative way to see the city of Buenos Aires. Foto Ruta offers a selection of tours, experiences and excursions that are designed to show participants the 'real and genuine side of Argentina's capital. Foto Ruta weekly brings the city and its streets to life through a series of clues and tips that participants capture on camera. You don't need to be good at photography to enjoy Foto Ruta photo tours, they are about unlocking your creativity, meeting people and getting a different perspective of Buenos Aires
London, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Interesting afternoon, but not what I was expecting”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

The ladies that organise and run Foto Ruta are professional and interesting, and if you're looking for a do-it-yourself, treasure hunt style tour of a Buenos Aires barrio, this is an ok way to spend an afternoon.

I was expecting more of a traditional site seeing tour, with a focus on photographing the less well known sites, while getting advice on how to be more creative with my photos' composition.

The "tour" is organised such that you'll meet in a coffee shop and get a brief overview of the elements of creative photography (but not much technical info, eg exposure, depth of field). You'll then get a set of "clues", each being the title of a photo you need to take. You then divide into groups and spend around 2 hours taking your pics while the organisers remain in the coffee shop. You then return to review each others photos.

This is a nice idea but I didn't really learn anything. It may have been better if the group as a whole was smaller, and the instructors came out during the actual site seeing / photo taking part. I also thought there could have been more constructive feedback during the review session instead of just gushing at every single pic.

1 Thank RusselB
bumblebeelondon10197, Owner at Foto Ruta Buenos Aires, responded to this review, 8 March 2012
Hi Russell thanks for you feedback! We're so sorry it wasn't what you expected. As Foto Ruta is quite a unique event/concept we actually make it quite clear that it's not a guided tour, both on both our website and on all the information we send participants once they've booked. For those who want a more traditional / guided tour we offer Foto Ruta Academias, which are one or half day photography tours and offer one to one tuition and access to some of Buenos Aires' best photography locations!

Los Angeles, California
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“I wish the ruta lasted longer!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

I loved the whole thing! I only wish it lasted longer. Steer photography in the barrios was a great break from the tourist attractions! The leaders were so nice and awesome to work with. A must-do in BAS.

Buenos Aires, Argentina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Surprised myself! Great activity to do alone”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

Definitely do Foto Ruta in a barrio off the tourist map that you want to get to know better. I went alone and did the Montserrat tour. It wasn't awkward, even though I don't generally go do this kind of thing alone. I am also a resident of BA now and enjoyed it. I surprised myself with the interesting photos I was able to take and I also met some great new friends. The two women that run Foto Ruta are really buena onda (good vibes) and make the afternoon fly by!

The first hour you get a photo lesson and brief history of the neighborhood. Then you split into groups and go out to take pictures based on some open-ended scavenger hunt style clues they provide you. The two Foto-Ruta founders don't accompany you, but at the end you return for wine and photo-viewing. Very well organized and they even bring a computer screen to show the photos.

Visited February 2012
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“FUN AND INSPIRING”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

They give you themes which makes you look at your surroundings in a different way. I was lucky enough to be in a little group in which none of us knew each other, so we just voiced our ideas and let our imagination run free. It was really inspiring, my 2 other group buddies made me see things I would have never thought of. And everyone was friendly and enthusiastic.
that was a such a neat outing that I decided to join on the full day outing

Visited February 2012
Melbourne, Australia
59 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Fun, educational and interesting photo tour of BA”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2012

This was a really enjoyable afternoon in BA. Run by a Brit and a Canadian, they have set up an activity that teaches you some basic photography skills and ideas no matter how good you are or how basic your camera is.

It teaches you to look at photo opportunities through a different mind. The activity then breaks you into groups of 2-3 and you wander round the area taking photos following 10 ideas or thought prompters. Then you go back to the cafe and have a glass of wine while looking at yours and all the other groups photos so you can see different interpretations of the same topics.

Well done Becky and Joss for coming up with a clever concept - I hope all travelers in BA check out Foto Ruta.