“Missed stuff there”

Milhouse Hostel Avenue
Rio de Janeiro
“Missed stuff there”
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Straight to the point, a GAP sweater was stolen from me and the management couldn't care LESS. I went to the hostel to spend a week with my dad and my stepmother, and arrived there on a Saturday with the first night already paid. As the receptionist told us we could get better rates for money exchange on Monday, we asked if we could pay the rest of the nights on Monday, and she said it was okay. The next day when I was out, my sheets were taken, and my sweater was next to my pillow. They were NOT supposed to take them, because I warn them I would stay for the whole week. When I came to the reception, they promised me they would look for it. Then two days passed and no sweater was found.
Then I talked to the responsible manager (at least he was identified so), and he was very rude by saying it was my fault I didn't keep it in the locker. How about their fault by taking the sheets by mistake? I don't believe the roommates stole it from me, but I do believe the cleaners took it accidentally and washed it and BLEACHED it.
Apart from that, obviously there were good things about the hostel and other people from the staff. But this manager behavior really lit down every other thing.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank mendesg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Hebrew first
London, UK
Reviewed 18 April 2012

This is easily the best hostel I've ever stayed in. I like to party and this was the perfect place to kick off my holiday to Argentina. Seha3 has done a good write up below and there is no point of repeating it, so I won't.

I went there with my girlfriend so I had to have a ensuite private room, which was large and clean. However whilst there I heard some horror stories from what was happening in the dorms (bed bugs, possible orgies etc) but that wasn't my experience. When I got back to BA I will definately be staying here for a few nights for as long as I can handle it.

Room Tip: Get an ensuite private. A little bit more money but you get to avoid other people's bad habbits.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Milhouse is the perfect hostel if you want a party hostel. Every night there is a party at either the Avenue hostel or the Hipo one, it alternates each night, then there is a recommended club which everyone goes to. During the day, Milhouse offers plenty of walking tours and other tourist activities to keep you busy. And at night, there's no need to think of what to do or where to go as it's all organised for you. The rooms were clean and tidy, I was staying in a twin room and that was quite spacious. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. I couldn't have asked for a better hostel. I would definitely recommend it.

Reviewed 19 January 2012

Worst hostel I've stayed in since I arrived in South America four months ago. It was like faulty towers, but worse.

Had stayed in Milhouse Hippo in September and though it was a great hostel, friendly staff, clean and a nice chilled atmosphere! Avenue could not be more different!

There was a post put on our dorm room door to say it had to be vacated between 12:00 and 16:00 to be "disinfected". Fair enough. One of the girls was checking in at 12 and was told she couldn't get into the room until 16:00. It was only when we spoke to other people in the hostel that we realised they were actually fumigating the room to treat bed bugs. The staff never mentioned this to us at any point, disgraceful. Seemingly the whole of the 3rd floor is rife with bed bugs. I've about 50 bites all down my leg and 50 more on my arm, and I've had to have all my clothes boiled and sterilised. The rooms should be closed down until the problem is cleared, surely this is basics?!

Apart from this we could the staff to be lazy, passive and positively rude at times. The manager during the day was always trying to make a quick buck, felt he was trying to rip us off. Organising tours that cost no more than 100pesos per person to run and charging 600pesos.

Not traveller friendly hostel. Don't stay here.

1 Thank OrlaNicAogain
Kildare
Reviewed 18 January 2012

We were put in a bed bug infested room, the hostel obviously knew it was infested because after we checked in they put a sign on our door to say that we had to vacate the room for the day as they were disinfecting it!
The hostel owners and staff all obviously knew the room was riddled and still let us stay there without informing us! We were bitten alive by bed bugs gross!
When we were banned from our room and the cleaning staff were the only ones with access, my purse was stolen.
When I reported this to the reception, I was not taken seriously at all, the girl at reception laughed at my predicament and did nothing!sooo soo rude aswell!

Also after the disinfecting they stripped all our beds of sheets and we had to wait til midnight to get sheets again.

A few other things
< they have no smoking signs up which are ignored by guests and not enforced by any staff members

< we did a walking tour that was "free", they said we just pay for the bus and then its completely free! The tour was rediculous one girl bringing about 50tourists. We all paid 20 for the free tour, we got 1public buses and theyre 1.25 each. So how is it free? Most people had abandoned the tour by the end. We were supposed to be back at the hostel by 2.30, but the tour guide brought us to a restaurant which had a reserved area for us, she must have got commission! we were here for an hour and a half and was never mentioned to us prior to that we got back about 3hours late! Gained nothing from the tour it was too big so couldnt even hear her speaking.

< the have different sockets then most of argentina and sell you stupid adapters for 20 pesos (mine broke after a day)

< they charge you per person for aircon so rediculous

< the line at reception is always crazy so you have to que if you just want your key back

We had so many issues during our stay, that we would never reccomend this hostel there are so many hostels in ba and most are cheaper than here, go somewhere else!