“Not a good choice” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Singapore
“Not a good choice”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2011

Location was central but the area is not safe, esp at night (according to local friends). Lots of inter-city buses start/stop from the road just outside the hotel so it was very congested. For the price (almost US$200), the rooms are very small-had to pay extra to upgrade to a deluxe room (which was better). Reception was helpful but everything else about the hotel including the BF was mediocre. I would recommend staying at Recoleta, Palermo or Santa Fe areas which are much nicer and trendier neighbourhoods with delightful shops and cafes.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
1 Thank dkemt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2011

First off, I did not choose this hotel. I booked another but because of "Technical" problems at that hotel, the general manager booked the nh Tango for me. I could not have been more pleased. The hotel is modern, clean, efficient, and has an excellent location. Easy walk to Plaza San Martin, Calle Florida, Plaza de Mayo (Casa Rosada), National Congress, 15-20 minute walk to San Telmo, and practically next door to the Teatro Colon. There is also a Subte (subway) station about 1/2 block away (Subte is really easy and cheap to take but DO NOT take it during rush hour unless you want to get pickpocketed).

Although check-in is 3:00 p.m. I arrived at noon (aftering traveling 14 hours) and they had a room ready for me. Diego at Reception was really efficient and check-in only took about seven minutes (during this time he was able to give the details about the restaurant, hotel ameneties, the 9th floor viewing deck, restaurant, ATM's, etc.).

I was impressed with how nice the room was laid out: open and bright but with black-out curtains (which you will need if you sleep-in because the front of the hotel gets morning sun). Although I was in the room alone, I think that two people could easliy share this room (I had a king room) and not be on top of each other. My room was on the 3rd floor (Rm. 304) facing Avenida 9 de Julio and although it is a major (if not "the") boulevard in Ba. As., the double-paned window (that does open if you want outside air) kept the traffic noise out and I was able to sleep with no problems at all. Access security is good too, there is always security (in black suits, not uniforms [think "Men in Black"]) at the front door to the hotel. Staff is friendly and always greets you when they pass you in the halls, lobby, or elevators, even if they do not know you (like some Luxury Collection Hotels I've stayed at).

Back to the room: the bed was comfortable, firm but not hard. Sheets were clean and crisp (not 600 thread count but not scratchy either). Pillows were firm but had just the right amount of give to still provide support. Dark hardwook floors and long desk gave me plenty of room to spread out my "stuff". Interesting "tango" inspired swirls painted on the walls, and plenty of light fixtures (execpt at the front door near the closet, which I found odd given the halogen lights all around the rest of the room). The vanity in the bathroom does not have a door, but the toilet and bidet are behind a frosted glass door as is the shower (see my pictures). This isn't a problem for a couple but might be weird for two friends who are not a couple sharing the room (maybe the double rooms have a door). The bathroom fixtures are a really nice design and I loved the showerhead, which looked like a wand on a flex hose, and the water pressure could tear your skin off if you turned it up high enough (LOL). Nice design touch I though is that the shower wall between the bedroom is frosted glass. While you're sitting on the bed, you can see the light from the shower but you cannot see through it so there is still privacy, this also allows in natural light from outside as you shower.

They do not provide a hair dryer but all the normal stuff: shampoo/conditioner, soap, lotion. Irons/boards are not in the room but you can request one. In-room safe is there as is the fridge with snacks/drinks. Tap water is potable and I drank it without problems. My booking was the "bed and breakfast" plan and it was fine: scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, variety of pasteries, cereals, fruit juices, coffee, etc. It's not gourmet but it's fine to get you going in the morning for a day of exploring (those who complained about the breakfast in their reviews need to gain some perspective).

Lastly, I requested late check-out but because of an event that closed Avenida 9 de Julio in both directions for the length of the street, preventing me from getting across it, I did not get back to the hotel until an hour after my check-out time. They were understanding and accomodating and told me to take my time. And, when I mentioned to Reception that I was going to take a taxi to the airport, they advised a remise and booked one for me and it took only three minutes. The staff at NH Tango are great.

I would stay at this hotel (an probably will) during my next visit. Like I said, I did not choose this hotel but in the end, I was very happy with it.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo