“I would let my Nan stay here”
Review of Karbel Hotel

Karbel Hotel
Ranked #42 of 102 Hotels in Oludeniz
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Really nice hotel in a great location just at the top of the main strip of bars and restaurants literally 5 minute walk down to the beach. The rooms were cleaned daily and the air con was free although ours leaked water onto the floor on a few occasions during the night to which the hotel repaired each time. Pool area had plenty of sun loungers so no real problems getting one even at midday although a few blobs thinking it was ok to go topless looked like cows udders making me sick! We went bed and breakfast but rarely ate the breakfast it was so cheap to eat out we didn't mind paying around 2-3 pound for an omelette or full English at the various restaurants. Overall we loved the holiday and make sure you watch law and order on channel 2 after 7pm it changes to English. You MUST do the Jeep Safari tour whilst in Oludeniz as it is so much fun and really cheap although don't bother buying a carpet. Little boy on the corner outside hotel 'you want to weigh on the scales 1 lira' don't be fooled by his innocence it always says you are overweight I weigh 11 stone at home but after 3 turds it said 15 stone :(

Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank P H
Write a ReviewReviews (1,178)

Reviewed 29 July 2013

Room No 910

Good points
Clean, maid service everyday, staff are helpful, its situated top of the strip away from noisy bars etc.. safe deposit box (25TL per week). comfortable reception area, wi-fi in reception and pool area, I found the food nice in the restaurant and good/funny entertainment. hotel photographer, Omer was very nice and done some great shots for me and my daughter.

Bad points
peak season pool area gets very very crowded, I would say needs a bigger ro another pool.
B&B is cold meat, eggs and salad but you can buy a full english for about 10TL, they had things that looked like cornflakes but tasted yuk.
Shower head kept falling down which was frustrating
one of the handles of the clothes cupboard was broke and caught one of my shirts on it :(
garden view from my room, luck of the draw,
noisy flip flopps but I just used ear plugs.
beds are uncomfortable.
I got this hotel B&B, 1 week for £760 for my and my daughter.

would I go back again? Yes, bad points were just minor and I would go out of season to avoid a crowded pool.

Room Tip: Try and get a room by the pool and you will be able to use the pool area wifi :)
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank David H
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Be warned. We booked our Holiday with Thomson months ago and were really looking forward to it. We arrived on the sunday evening and were shown to our room (see photo) on the ground floor of block 7 . We were dumbstruck. It took a few minutes for it to sink in. The room we had been allocated was very small, dark and had a musty smell to it. The beds would not be out of place on a landfill site. The 'balcony' was hardly big enough to fit two plastic garden chairs on. The 'view' was of a concrete wall. To say we were devastated would be a major understatement.
I went to the reception desk and said (very calmly) that we were not happy with the room and wanted to be moved. The lady behind the desk explained that there were full and there were no rooms available until the Tuesday. I walked back the room to find my partner in tears and water dripping through the ceiling in the bathroom.
I went back to reception and explained that we really couldn't stay in the room and even offered to pay to be moved but she still insisted that they had no free rooms. Even their sister hotel (Karbel Beach) was full and there was nothing that could be done. She then suggested that I speak to the Thomson rep. I explained that situation to the rep, but she didn't even want to go and see the room as she obvisouly knew exactly what was going on. She said it was the luck of the draw when the hotel was full! When we both went over to the reception desk, a few words were said and a knowing glance and they then agreed between them that we could move on Monday instead. I went back to the room again and found my partner very upset and worked up to the point that she seriously wanted to just get on a plane and go home.
When I went back to the reception for the third time and explained that we could not stop in the room and wanted to find another hotel for the night. Neither the reception staff or Thomson rep did anything to help. The best they offered was 'go and have a walk and see if you can find a room somewhere else'. So we did. Stopped in a lovely hotel just round the corner called The Blue Lagoon and payed under 40 quid for a nights B&B. Went back at 12:00 the next day and was moved to a much better room on the 2nd floor of block 7.
From what I can gather, they have a whole load of sub-standard rooms that they use almost as holding areas until the nicer rooms are available. If you complain, you will eventually get moved. If you don't complain, then they are quids in. It all seems like a bit of a scam to fill the hotel and keep using rooms and furniture that is old and dilapidated. During the welcome talk, the rep said that some guests have been coming for over 20 years and I suspect that they probably stayed in block 7 twenty years ago and though it was great. Unfortunately, those rooms today are just not up to scratch. And how Thomson can say it a 3T+ rated hotel when this sort of thing is going on, I do not know.
In all fairness, it's not a bad hotel, nice staff and good food but the horrible start to our holiday just killed it for us.
Right, next stop Thomson complaints page!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jambo2013
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Myself and boyfriend have just returned from our holiday we found our stay at the hotel excellent all staff made us feel so welcome and they are so helpfull they couldn't do enough for us we made very good friends with omer and taco (the deli boys) chef is such a lovely man and his food is very good we have no complaints all staff, location and hotel excellent we miss everyone already we can't wait to return to the karbel sun

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank ElizabethJane1985
Reviewed 28 July 2013

First time visiting Olu Deniz. Stayed at the Karbel for a week, and got back this morning. I have been going to Turkey for the last 12 years. I have, over the years, stayed in some hell holes. I cannot find one thing to fault this hotel. Everywhere was immaculately clean, rooms were very basic, but very clean and fit for purpose. Air con is free (normally this is chargeable locally). Safety deposit box was a tenner for the week.
All the staff are very friendly and polite, and never once hassled us, yet were always there if we needed anything. lunch time they always did kebabs, or BBQs, 12 till 3pm, and 10 lira each (£3.10p) bargain!
we didn't expect the Hilton, as we had booked the holiday as a cheap last minute break. I have over the years, paid 3 times as much as this holiday cost, and stayed in filthy hotels. Karbel is a lovely hotel, and cant fault it. We were bed and breakfast, which was basic but good. Al a carte menu in the evening was very good, and there were always offers everyday on certain drinks.
Olu Deniz was very nice but I would not go back. Its very small, and you get to know the area in a day, as it is very small. Compared to other areas of Turkey, we found Olu Deniz to be very pricey. Evening meal for 2, with a drink each, come to approx. £35. Compared to home this isn't much different, but other parts of the country offer the same at a fraction of the price.
As we were bed and breakfast, we took £900 spending money for the week, and spent the lot. We didn't buy anything apart from 3 trips (£50 for 2 adults to do 3 trips). All our money was spent on evening meal, and drinks. Blue Lagoon is well worth a visit. 6 lira each admission (about £2.20) and 21 lira to hire 2 sunbeds and a parasol (£8), but its a lovely place to visit.
Trips are same as everywhere else in Turkey.
Overall a lovely break, which was relaxing, but for us, a couple in our 30s, not much to do at the evening, Hisaranu is only up the hill, and night life seems more lively.
Cant fault Karbel, and would definitely recommend it. the area just wasn't our cup of tea, but the hotel was fab!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple