“A 'Whale of a Time' - a cliche but true”

Walker Bay Adventures
Ranked #5 of 23 Tours in Hermanus
More attraction details
Owner description: Walkerbay Adventures has been operating adventure tours in Hermanus since 1999. We specialize in sea kayaking tours in Walker Bay whale sanctuary and we can assist you with reservations of every adventure tour operated in Hermanus, some of them offered at discounted rates. We offer helpful assistance with reservations and inquiries, and advice on anything about Hermanus.
Reviewed 23 November 2011

Against a backdrop of the Overburg, standing on the Hermanus cliffs and seeing visiting mothers with their calves playing in the ocean HAS to be a 'must see' in any traveller's itinerary. Listening for the 'whalewatcher's horn' that alerts visitors of a whale sighting and witnessing the sheer exuberance of the baby whales is a joy to watch, FOUR days was just too short.

Reviewed 23 November 2011

Going out on the ocean on kyaks was a truly memorable experience and Herman and his team are knowledgeable and professional. We managed the paddling without too much difficulty, although we are not particularly fit and although we did not meet any whales on our trip, we did see seals and many marine birds. This experience should not be missed by anyone visiting Hermanus!

1  Thank 312651Helen
Reviewed 5 November 2011

During our visit to Hermanus, South Africa, my husband decided to go kayaking with Walker Bay Adventures.
The trip was some R300 which is reasonable for a guided kayak trip though the bay of Hermanus.
My husband came back, soaked wet, and said he Loved It! - the guide was knowledgeable, and very friendly, and despite the choppy seas, he had a great trip.
One thing to note however, the trip is not kayaking with whales, or infact anywhere close, - unlike how it is made out to be, - it is infact a nice kayaking trip out at sea.

2  Thank janie a
Reviewed 29 October 2011

Have been on this sea kayaking trip several times now and it is just amazing!! Herman and his staff are very professional and knowledgeable about the sea and wildlife. I've always felt very safe as the kayaking is done in a group with an experienced guide. Great value for money and a must for anyone that visits Hermanus. During whale season I've always seen whales, and out of season it's a great adventure too...great fun - seen seals, birds and dolphins!

Reviewed 3 October 2011

When I planned my trip to Hermanus a couple of months back, shark cage diving and whale watching were the 2 must do things on my list. It is on this context that I contacted Walkerbay.

The reason, ofcourse were the wonderful reviews that I read on Tripadvisor. I emailed to walkerbay and sent my dates and queries. Within 48 hours I got a detailed response with timings, costs, inclusions etc. That spoke a lot about the responsiveness and customer care that walkerbay provides.

If you are keen on Whale watching and Shark Cage Diving; they can organize both the activities for you and schedule to fit the same in a single day, whether permitting ofcourse!

The The shark cage diving takes place early in the morning with a 7h30am meeting time in Kleinbaai, 45km from Hermanus. Walkerbay can arrange a pick up and drop back from your hotel also. The activity finishes at midday. The whale watching can be done at 3pm in the afternoon and will finish at around 5pm.

If you want to schedule both activities on 2 separate days then you can go for the shark diving on day 1 morning and whale watching on day2 morning.

I was slated to take up both the activities in the last week of September in a single day. The Shark Cage diving got cancelled unfortunately because of the choppy sea. I wish i could have experienced it. However the whale watching tour was amazing.

I was picked up in a SUV at around 8:30 a.m. from my hotel by Ash and taken to the pre-designated place. The drive to the bay was not more than 15 minutes and I was given a lot of detail on the whale watching experience on way. Ash was very interactive and informative.

Post reaching one needs to pay at the counter, sign an indemnity and collect a pass. Then I waited for the briefing with may others. After a bit of a wait, we were told about whales, their behaviour, size, weight etc. Post the detailed briefing session we hopped to the boat and off we went for a super experience.

We sailed for about half and hour before we had our first encounter. It was amazing!!! During our trip we went on to see many whales. The great part is, no matter which part of the boat you are in the crew makes sure that everyone gets a view. The boat is rotated so people on all sides can get views. The tour lasts about 2 hours and if you are lucky and visiting in season can spot as many as 8/10 whales. We did!!!

While on boat you are offered a bottle of water, some cold drink and a packet of chips. A lot of people were sea-sick and the crew was so very attentive and prompt in providing people with sick bags and water. All in all this is an experience of a lifetime and one should not miss it!!!

Thanks to Herman for giving me an experience that will last forever!!!

5  Thank anuroopabanerjee