“Good but not great”

Barry Hall Luxury Apartments
Reviewed 7 December 2012

There are many things to like about Barry Hall but I have to say I was a little bit disappointed with some aspects of our stay here. There are some very simple things that they could do to take the experience from 'good' to 'excellent'. I'll start with the good...

Firstly the apartment we stayed in was large and well layed out (apartment 2). It had good sized rooms and was very comfortable. There was a large living room, comfy sofas and a large table to spread your stuff out on.

The location was handy. Literally just down the road from the beach area, minutes from Woolworths (one of the best shops in town for great food and clothes etc), and close to banks, chemists etc - everything you need when travelling. All of which are important if you are planning on cooking a few meals at home and just unwinding after a long day of sight seeing.

The service was friendly and booking the room was easy (via email) and the rates were very reasonable. The free Wifi was definitely a bonus and was one of the main reasons why we booked Barry Hall in the first place.

The decor was stylish with high white ceilings, decorative cornice, marble fireplace, wooden floorboards and warm, inviting persian rugs (exactly my style). But here is when things start to get a little rough... on closer inspection I noticed the walls had been poorly patched in places which they hadn't bothered to paint over. The blinds were missing parts and the lights on the wall were slightly lop-sided. All of these things I admit are small grievances and I'd be more than willing to forgive them given the overall charming vibe to the place but there are a few other fundamentals which weren't quite right.

Firstly there was no air-conditioning which meant that in an attempt to get cool at night we opened the windows and were then eaten alive by the mosquitoes (thankfully malaria free in Cape Town!). The bed was hard and uncomfortable and by the end of our stay I was glad to heading back to my own bed. The TV was small with a very poor selection of cable TV. We stayed for two weeks so there were times when we just wanted to chill out in front of the TV and I'm afraid the selection (mainly sport and news with some movies) just didn't do it for me.

Also there was no washing machine or dryer although there was a laundry service available upon request. I would have much preferred to just wash and dry things as I go.

Another thing that made our stay slightly uncomfortable (and this is the biggest negative for me) was the fact that I felt a bit unsafe on the ground floor. The security seemed a lax (compared to other places we had stayed - this isn't our first trip to Cape Town). The front gate was loose and the windows only had the old fashioned swivel latches to lock them with and no security bars (usually standard in Cape Town). Also we seemed to be the only people who abided by the 'under no circumstances is the front door to be left unlocked' rule. It was constantly left unlocked by the other guests and this could be easily have been avoided by fixing a lock that automatically locks when you close the door. As we were on the ground floor we would be the first apartment targeted had someone broken in (thankfully they didn't while we were there). This slight sense of unease wasn't helped by our taxi driver who gave us a friendly tip to make sure we avoided walking the Main Street (just meters away) at night.

Overall I would have to say that our stay was good but not as good as it could have been. The addition of air-conditioning, a washing machine and dryer, a more comprehensive satellite TV selection and better security would have made all the difference. But the ambiance of the place, the cleanliness, the friendly service and the convenient location were definitely positives.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay here ask for an upstairs apartment
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rachael h
RitaturnerCapeTown, Owner at Barry Hall Luxury Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2012

I regret apartment 2 did not meet your expectations and would like to comment as follows:
There may be a perception of lack of security in the country, which is sometimes exaggerated, whilst we do our utmost to make our guests comfortable during their stay, it is difficult to control other guests' behaviour i.r.o. safety, my request to them was sometimes ignored.
I appreciate the suggestion of a "slam lock" on our front door which will be fitted (it will add to the SA fortress appearance) but could be useful.
We have fans in each apartment in place of airconditioning which is not commonly used here.
The mosquitoes bother could have been avoided by informing our staff, who would have installed a mosquito repellent.
We offer a laundry service at a nominal cost to allow our guests more time to enjoy Cape Town, this has been appreciated by previous visitors, and we plan to continue this service.

Reviewed 29 October 2012

Absolutely beautiful apartments! Really took by breath away. The cleaning staff (a lovely woman) keeps the apartment spotless, and the facility is really all-inclusive: kitchen appliances, free wi-fi, phone, TV, hair dryers, extra converters, etc. The location may seem out of the way of 'downtown Cape Town,' but it is just a 10 or 15 minutes easy drive. Being in the suburbs, the location is extremely safe and quiet, and is 2 blocks from a beautiful walking/running promenade along the beach. There are restaurants within walking distance, as well as a Woolworths supermarket, bank, etc. I couldn't have chosen a better place to stay!

Room Tip: Request the second floor, so you get a view!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
RitaturnerCapeTown, Owner at Barry Hall Luxury Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2012

Zoliwe, our housekeeper will be very happy too, that you have recognised her pride in her work at Barry Hall Apartments. She keeps the apartments immaculate, and has been instrumental in the success of making our guests feel at home in Cape Town.

Reviewed 9 May 2012

My husband and I took his mother to Cape Town so that she could visit with her brother. We spent 13 days in a two bedroom apartment at Barry Hall and found it was perfect for our needs. It was spacious, with lovely furnishings, and the balcony was a big bonus. The location is very convenient to the shops, resaurants and that gorgeous oceanside walkway. A great place to stay !

Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Jeannette H
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Our family of four spent 5 days staying at Barry Hall. The apartments are sensational. Spacious, beautifully decorated, well equipped and an amazing location. The service and care is exemplary.....and so reasonably priced

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank cimocounselling
RitaturnerCapeTown, Owner at Barry Hall Luxury Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2012

I am very happy you enjoyed your stay at Barry Hall Apartments, more so as you had travelled a long way to experience Cape Town and all this beautiful City has to offer.
I am glad you enjoyed the amenities at Barry Hall, we spend some time every year renovating and improving the apartments so you will have to come back and check out our planned renovation in May of the 3 bathrooms in” your” apartment.
Kind regards
Rita

Reviewed 5 January 2012

The positive:
- Friendly manager.
- Good cleaning staff (but not on public holidays).
- Free internet was nice and uncommon addition for the region.
- Decent location.

The Negative:
- Selected due to 4 sleeper capabilities, however “makeshift” beds 3 and 4 placed randomly in the unit were very uncomfortable. Lack of room darkening contributed to this discomfort.
- Poor sound insulation. Could easily hear the people next door and above. Woke up to vomiting noises and very late night parting on a few occasions.
- Terrible bathroom. Tub was removed and replaced with useless 3 sided shower. (Water pressure was poor and inconsistent temperatures, and no shower door resulted in a wet bathroom floor. Could also hear and see people will showering, through the window situated in line with the shower.. crazy!)
- No fan or air con. Needed to close the windows due to noise.. resulted in a stuff unit.
- No TV in bedroom. (Not able to relax and watch TV in bed after a long hike, or when kids in bed).
- Very old building resulting in sticking locks, draws, windows and doors. The bedroom door was so difficult to open, my 12 year old son could not manage.
- The floor boards are very old and noisy. (Going to the washroom during the night would wake everyone up!)
- Electrical issues resulted in us arriving home to no lights on 3 occasions.
- “Cheap” compared to other SeaPoint properties, but not good value. This place is more like a high end youth hostel or boarding house!

I am completely dumbfounded by the prior positive reviews for this place. I guess I don’t appreciate the “antique element”. I would rather have clean and new!! I also can’t believe this place is 4 stars. For a little more dollars, I think you can do MUCH better.

Room Tip: dont say on the ground floor.... you will hear the people above you!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Dax_Thornhill
RitaturnerCapeTown, Owner at Barry Hall Luxury Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2012

I am very sorry that Barry Hall Apartments did not live up to your expectations.
We convey in all advertaising that the building is 100 years old with all the benefits , generous space, renovated interiors retaining the architectual features charatorising a building from that era.
The level of service is as advertised, and as you were visiting at Christmas I confiirm that we do allow our staff time off for Christmas to be with their families on that day..I am sorry if this caused an inconvenience.
The electricity short circuit was brought to my attention at 1130pm, and you were assisted immediately,.Due to the holidays we were unable to get an electrician to attend to the problem the next day..We have recently completed the bathroom conversion to a shower only, which is in line with a preference by most of our guests, we will monitor future feedback from guests.