“What a waste of good food... with such disastrous service....”

The Hussar Grill Camps Bay
Ranked #1 of 48 Restaurants in Camps Bay
Price range: USD 7 - USD 13
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Grill
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: The original Hussar Grill in Rondebosch first opened its legendary brass doors in 1964 and today, after 50 years of excellence, it is regarded as one of South Africa's premier grillrooms. We go to endless lengths every day to maintain our multiple award-winning reputation by ensuring that we only purchase the finest and best quality produce available.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I have never put a bad review for anything in this world.... because opinions seldom differ and usually people and business owners try their best in their own way...
But The hussar grill on camps bay has it all.. but made zero out of it for me..
I was starving for a steak... Any ok piece of meat would have been ok... Really,,,
I called they said i could one in and sit at bar where they had the full menu served...
Ordered wi e and calamari starter
They had ribeye 400g on request as not available everyday....
"Luckily" it was available tonight.... waiter asked me how i wanted it cooked i said RARE 4 times, he asked me several times and it was confirmed as such...
Starter was great, wine as well,
Streak came in a medium well US standard and a super well done french standard..
Waiter asked me how it was, I politely said: Do you mind looking? Would that qualify as rare you? He said YES... CUT The steak in the middle SIR... So i did... after which he said oh sorry let me see what can do... I said not much can be done to uncook a meet...
I ate it all because I was starving and because it was REALLY GOOD...
I was then asked if I wanted dessert, I said yes and Had a Malva pudding... well. at least I ordered one.... 25 minutes later... still no Malva pudding so I asked for the bill...
Waiter said nooo... on its way,,, so i said its ok let me have it to go but please the bill.
Bill came and I automatically gave the guy 20% tip so that he doesn't think I didn't like it or whatever even though I didn't...
he doesn't thank me... and throws that Malva pudding bag at me as if I was some kind of animal...
CONCLUSION: What a shame!!!!!

Thandokazi S, Manager at The Hussar Grill Camps Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2018

Dear Marwan Z,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Restaurant. Your satisfaction is of the utmost importance to us and we will be using the feedback you have provided to implement improvements, and to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.
We are hoping to continue the conversation with you privately. Please may I ask you to send us your e-mail address to campsbay@hussargrill.com?
We hope to see you again soon in order to change your negative experience into a positive one.

Kind regards,
Thandokazi

Write a ReviewReviews (2,218)

Reviewed 4 April 2018

A great restaurant - maybe the best steak I've had in years. Cooked exactly how you order it, and a good value. Good wine list and helpful and friendly staff.

1  Thank bjkahansen

Dear bjkahansen,

Thank you for taking your time to write this review of The Hussar Grill Camps Bay. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your dining experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

We visited with friends who are local to the area. As usual we had an excellent meal. The fish is usually good but the steaks are very good.

1  Thank MikeSmith2014
Thandokazi S, Manager at The Hussar Grill Camps Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2018

Dear MikeSmith2014,

Thank you for taking the time to write this 5-star review. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

A friend recommended a visit to Hussars. So glad we did we went twice in our week!
Fantastic food and service - we went to Camps Bay, restaurant- highly recommend the fillet steak, and the creamed spinach and butternut squash combo is just amazing!

Dear Mandy B,

Thank you for taking the time to post this wonderful review and for your recommendations as well. We appreciate you coming in and trying our Steakhouse. We look forward to having you dine with us again.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Could be the best steak I’ve ever had! Cooked perfectly. Great service and atmosphere. Amazing value for money. Save room for desert too if you can! And have a chocolate martini.

Dear Penny H,

Thank you very much for dining at The Hussar Grill Camps Bay as well as for taking the time to write this 5-Star review for us. We are very pleased to read that you had a great experience and that we lived up to your expectations. We hope to welcome you back again soon.